About Time.....City of Mesa reaches $8 million settlement with widow of Daniel Shaver

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Follow-up to this old thread: Mesa Police shooting: Daniel Shaver seen crawling, begging in disturbing video...officer walks?!

MESA, AZ — The City of Mesa has reached an $8 million settlement with Laney Sweet, the widow of Daniel Shaver, and his two children.

Shaver was shot and killed by now-former Mesa Police Officer Phillip Brailsford in 2016.

Officers were originally called to a hotel after a call that someone was pointing a gun out of a window.

Brailsford was holding Shaver at gunpoint while ordering him to crawl forward on a hotel hallway floor before the deadly shooting happened.

Brailsford was tried for murder and was found not guilty. He was originally fired from the force but was later allowed to retire on an accidental disability pension.

During a legal trial, Brailsford said he fired his rifle when Shaver reached toward his back as if he was pulling out a handgun. Brailsford said he was terrified for the safety of officers, and a woman, who were in the hallway.
Police later determined Shaver was not armed when he was killed.

**GRAPHIC CONTENT**: The full body camera showing the moments leading up to Shaver being shot and killed can be viewed here.

What was done to him still pisses me off no end.

He was executed. If I was her I would not be satisfied. The person who executed her husband was allowed to walk free.

That fucking psycho cop should be hung in public with full exposure.
He was looking for an excuse to kill someone.
How did the department hire someone so obviously unfit for the job? Whoever hired him is complicit in this needless death by an bully coward hiding behind a badge & gun.
I hope he gets his ass kicked on a regular basis & is shamed & shunned for the rest of his short life.

It's guys like him who give the entire force a bad name & done so much damage to the country

He was executed. If I was her I would not be satisfied. The person who executed her husband was allowed to walk free.
We really need to take a look at the reason that he walked.

The reasoning was that his department trained him to shoot if a person reached for something, without seeing what the person reached for. Therefore he had "qualified immunity," for the obvious outcome, which is the killing of an unarmed and completely innocent man.

The man was "guilty" only of possessing a pelet gun that he used for his job as an exterminator. He did not have that, or any other, gun on him when he was made to crawl on the floor by that psycho with a badge.

By being able to write a policy like that, and have it over-ride the plain meaning of murder statutes, that department becomes a law unto itself. It literally set a policy that allowed their officer to commit murder unpunished.

It is well past time for more civilian oversight of police policies. We can't wait until another murder happens. We need to look at exactly how our employees are being trained.

We really need to take a look at the reason that he walked.

The reasoning was that his department trained him to shoot if a person reached for something, without seeing what the person reached for. Therefore he had "qualified immunity," for the obvious outcome, which is the killing of an unarmed and completely innocent man.

The man was "guilty" only of possessing a pelet gun that he used for his job as an exterminator. He did not have that, or any other, gun on him when he was made to crawl on the floor by that psycho with a badge.

By being able to write a policy like that, and have it over-ride the plain meaning of murder statutes, that department becomes a law unto itself. It literally set a policy that allowed their officer to commit murder unpunished.

It is well past time for more civilian oversight of police policies.

I've supported that for years.

Forum List

Back