Abortion: Quality of Life of the baby

I believe that heart defects can be seen in the first trimester scan. Usually it is left until the next scan so they can see how bad it is, but they still know there is something wrong.

"An abnormal screening test, while alarming, only signals a POSSIBLE problem."

http://www.acog.org/~/media/For Patients/faq165.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20121022T2120275478

That's from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

Moron.

As I stated... been there. Only the prick doctor never used the word "possible".
He casually said "go down to the coffee shop and discuss your options".
I could have clocked that bitch.

Doctors can be wrong, and they should never assume that a test is correct unless it is 100% certain. He should have told you of a possibility for a defect, not that there was one.

Noomi, read the links. They can't detect it in the first trimester. They can only determine if there is a CHANCE of certain birth defects. And there is always a CHANCE that they are wrong.

Noomi, read the links. They can't detect it in the first trimester. They can only determine if there is a CHANCE of certain birth defects. And there is always a CHANCE that they are wrong.

Yes, which is why they wait until the next scan to find out for sure - but they will often warn the parents that there may be something wrong, so they are prepared.

Yes, they warn them that there MIGHT be a problem...but that isn't a diagnosis, and they are often wrong. There are false negatives, and false positives.

Hazel keeps screeching that birth defects can be diagnosed in the first trimester, and she's lying. They absolutely CANNOT be diagnosed in the first trimester, and every single source for screening information says that, repeatedly. It's just a screening that can tell if there is a POSSIBILITY.

They don't know for sure until much, much later in the pregnancy..and EVEN THEN THEY ARE OFTEN INCORRECT.

Ok again another abortion red herring.....but those tests dont always turn out to be true....where is the liberal mantra, if we could save one innocent life...it's all worth it....
And we're talking about babies and not murderers......it should be automatic to rule abortion out

Yes, they warn them that there MIGHT be a problem...but that isn't a diagnosis, and they are often wrong. There are false negatives, and false positives.

Hazel keeps screeching that birth defects can be diagnosed in the first trimester, and she's lying. They absolutely CANNOT be diagnosed in the first trimester, and every single source for screening information says that, repeatedly. It's just a screening that can tell if there is a POSSIBILITY.

They don't know for sure until much, much later in the pregnancy..and EVEN THEN THEY ARE OFTEN INCORRECT.

I wouldn't say that a diagnosis is often wrong, sometimes its wrong, but I think that technology has progressed to the point where we are almost always correct with a diagnosis.

What you think is irrelevant. You need to read the links. The FACTS are that they cannot diagnose birth defects with first trimester screening. You will not find ANY source that says it's possible. What you can do is detect whether there is a CHANCE of CERTAIN birth defects, but it is in no way definitive. There are false negatives AND false positives, and sometimes the defect, if it exists, is so slight it isn't even detectable at birth.

Every single source says first trimester screenings can not produce a definite diagnosis of anything.

What you think is irrelevant. You need to read the links. The FACTS are that they cannot diagnose birth defects with first trimester screening. You will not find ANY source that says it's possible. What you can do is detect whether there is a CHANCE of CERTAIN birth defects, but it is in no way definitive. There are false negatives AND false positives, and sometimes the defect, if it exists, is so slight it isn't even detectable at birth.

I agree with you on that, and I stated so. The only other thing I said was that technology has progressed far enough to mean that a fetal scan is often correct in the late stages of pregnancy.
You said that doctors are usually wrong - and I think they are usually right, but wrong sometimes.

I don't think i said doctors are usually wrong. Yes, later in the pregnancy, the more accurate the tests. But hazel maintains that birth defects can be detected in the first trimester. She has to keep with that because otherwise she's promoting the butchery of babies well beyond 24 weeks based on the possibility of birth defects.

I don't think i said doctors are usually wrong. Yes, later in the pregnancy, the more accurate the tests. But hazel maintains that birth defects can be detected in the first trimester. She has to keep with that because otherwise she's promoting the butchery of babies well beyond 24 weeks based on the possibility of birth defects.

It depends if you wanted to take the chance that there wasn't a defect. If you were told at, say, 8 weeks that there might be a severe defect with the baby, but you would have to wait until, say, week 24 to find out for sure, would you want to wait that long? Having an abortion at 8 weeks is a lot different to having one at 24 weeks, after all.

But you are right, a birth defect cannot be detected in the first trimester. I have never heard of a five week old embryo being diagnosed with anything.

The screening shows a potential for a birth defect. They don't do these screenings until around 15-20 weeks (not 8)...that's 4-5 months in. They don't even DO screenings in the first trimester. The screenings around the 5th month (that's when my doc did mine) only show the POTENTIAL for birth defects. And they are OFTEN incorrect. They can be followed up with more tests further down the line.

So we aren't talking about 8 weeks. We're talking about 4-5 months for the screening alone, and then more tests later.

So...do you want to choose to have an abortion based on the POSSIBILITY of a birth defect, the severity of which is unknown? Do you have more tests further down the line (and it takes weeks to get the results from the first screening test back, so you're looking at month 6 before the next set of tests) and THEN get an abortion?

The myth that there are *tests* which tell you definitively that your baby has medical issues at 8 weeks is nothing but a myth. These tests take place well into the pregnancy, and they aren't certain even then.

My sister in law had an abnormal screening (at 5 months). She opted to have her child...who is a beautiful, intelligent, perfectly normal little girl of 7 now.

An amnio is usually correct but it does carry a small chance of miscarriage. However, I would opt for it so I knew what I was getting into. Others wouldn't, but I think its a choice that a lot of people would make - and not just because they would abort, either.

What was the alleged problem with your sister in laws screening?

Forum List

Back