A Tea Party Wants Mandatory Christmas Carols In Public Schools

see so doing religious stuff in school definately doesn't leave a lasting impression, let alone indoctrinate someone ;).

I'm not saying it does. But there is no reason to make it mandatory. If anyone who is small Government should agree. Leave it up to the individual schools. If enough parents complain, I'm sure it will be changed.

However, making a law is ridiculous.

your thread title and the initiative's purpose, according to the OP, do not mesh...

whats wrong with providing an opportunity? seems you are against freedom....

Sounds like there's already an opportunity:

Schools currently are allowed to offer Christmas music as long as it is used for academic purposes rather than devotional purposes and isn't used to promote a particular religious belief, according to an analysis by the California Legislative Analyst's Office.

but the schools don't have to offer it...hence the difference

Why should they "have" to? Why should any one particular religion be favored by a mandate?

In fact that kind of madate - worded the way it is, does smack of unwarrented religious intrusion into Ceasar's realm even with the "opt out" clause. There are enough problems with the school systems with out adding extraneous crap which is the same degree of silliness as those fussing of mention of God on coinage.

you make no sense....it doesn't matter if students don't have all rights, they do have some rights though....this should be up to the students, you're taking away their opportunity and instead oddly leaving it up to administrators....it doesn't harm anyone if the students have the choice vs. the administrators....

of course they're only talking about christmas carols, this is the christmas season, christmas holiday etc....

They have rights however they do not have a voting bloc. The Administrators have decided, and the decision is final. I was in High School until a year ago, there was a lot of rules I did not like. I thought plenty of them were unfair. But could we do anything about it? No.

And maybe you're still in 1950, but Christmas is no longer the only major holiday in this season.

uh....other than new years, it is the only official holiday and you want to take away the students opportunity to sing about this official holiday and leave it up to the admins, ostensibly because when you were in school you didn't like all the rules and too bad.....

we will just have to disagree, you want it left solely to the admins, i want the students to have the opportunity to sing or not sing about this national holiday.....you want to prohibit their right, i don't

Why should they "have" to? Why should any one particular religion be favored by a mandate?

In fact that kind of madate - worded the way it is, does smack of unwarrented religious intrusion into Ceasar's realm even with the "opt out" clause. There are enough problems with the school systems with out adding extraneous crap which is the same degree of silliness as those fussing of mention of God on coinage.

what is the holiday called? what is the multiple week break the students get called? hint: christ is in the word

what is the holiday called? what is the multiple week break the students get called? hint: christ is in the word

If you want to be exact about it - they officially call it "Winter Holiday" in most jurisdictions. Either way, it's a red herring - it doesn't require a mandate must be made for Christmas carols. As Dogbert pointed out - if the school district community wants it, they will push for it. You don't need some frivolous law requiring recognition of a particular religious ceremony.

you make no sense....it doesn't matter if students don't have all rights, they do have some rights though....this should be up to the students, you're taking away their opportunity and instead oddly leaving it up to administrators....it doesn't harm anyone if the students have the choice vs. the administrators....

of course they're only talking about christmas carols, this is the christmas season, christmas holiday etc....

They have rights however they do not have a voting bloc. The Administrators have decided, and the decision is final. I was in High School until a year ago, there was a lot of rules I did not like. I thought plenty of them were unfair. But could we do anything about it? No.

And maybe you're still in 1950, but Christmas is no longer the only major holiday in this season.

uh....other than new years, it is the only official holiday and you want to take away the students opportunity to sing about this official holiday and leave it up to the admins, ostensibly because when you were in school you didn't like all the rules and too bad.....

we will just have to disagree, you want it left solely to the admins, i want the students to have the opportunity to sing or not sing about this national holiday.....you want to prohibit their right, i don't

That's a strawman argument - no one is taking anything away. Schools are allowed to sing Christmas carols in the existing law.

Merry Hyatt, Tea Party Patriot, Wants Mandatory Christmas Carols In Public Schools

It's called the "Freedom to Present Christmas Music in Public School Classrooms or Assemblies" initiative.

Merry Hyatt, a substitute teacher and member of the Redding Tea Party Patriots, is behind the push. The Record Searchlight reports:

The initiative would require schools to provide children the opportunity to listen to or perform Christmas carols, and would subject the schools to litigation if the rule isn't followed.

Schools currently are allowed to offer Christmas music as long as it is used for academic purposes rather than devotional purposes and isn't used to promote a particular religious belief, according to an analysis by the California Legislative Analyst's Office.

Parents are allowed to have their students opt out of the caroling if they express that desire in advance.

The initiative has the support of the local Tea Party Patriots president.

Isn't the Tea Parties purpose suppose to be limited Government, not having the Government control our lives, etc. Doesn't this go directly against that?

Sounds like to me more people using the whole concept of "tea parties" to further their own agenda. Thoughts?

I am the same side with these spiked tea partiers!!

In fact, not only should the schools provide such junk, if should require students learning chinese starting in Grade school. Mainly to prepare them for the coming New Communist Chinese Century!!

UH HUH!!:tongue:

That's a strawman argument - no one is taking anything away. Schools are allowed to sing Christmas carols in the existing law.

fine....change taking away with denying....

happy now....:cuckoo:

If you want to be exact about it - they officially call it "Winter Holiday" in most jurisdictions. Either way, it's a red herring - it doesn't require a mandate must be made for Christmas carols. As Dogbert pointed out - if the school district community wants it, they will push for it. You don't need some frivolous law requiring recognition of a particular religious ceremony.

you obviously have no clue what a red herring is....the subject of this thread is CHRISTMAS carols....in most jurisdictions (i know of none that call it winter holiday) it is called christmas break, and the holiday is still in fact called christmas....funny how you ignore that...

it is not a frivolous, it is a law about allowing students the opportunity to sing about a national holiday. you want to deny them their opportunity to sing about a national holiday. you are denying the community the right to have it, it should be mandetory that the school allow it and if the community doesn't want it, then no harm no foul. you want to deny opportunities for people to express themselves in singing about a national holiday....

you're obviously missing the 800 lb gorilla in the room.....we are talking about christmas, a national holiday...what is wrong with singing about a national holiday?

fine....change taking away with denying....

happy now....:cuckoo:

Apologies. I thought you were referring to the OP.

you're obviously missing the 800 lb gorilla in the room.....we are talking about christmas, a national holiday...what is wrong with singing about a national holiday?

Can you show me the law prohibiting the singing of Christmas carols? Perhaps I missed it?

Can you show me the law prohibiting the singing of Christmas carols? Perhaps I missed it?

can you show me the law that allows the students or the community, rather than the admin, the opportunity sing christmas carols at school?

i noticed you ignored the question about your issue with singing about a national holiday

can you show me the law that allows the students or the community, rather than the admin, the opportunity sing christmas carols at school?

I asked a simple question - is it that hard to find a law prohibiting the singing of carols? That would be the first step.

i noticed you ignored the question about your issue with singing about a national holiday

I have an issue with it? That's news to me....

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There is no law against singing carols in school , this law does make it illegal for the school to organize for a specific religion.

If you want a day with EVERY religion to show their religion to other students then there is no problem there. I think they should teach world religion to all ages.

Chistians would blow a gasket.

still running away from the questions i see....

do the other religions have national holidays? do you support abolishing christmas as a national holiday....can schools force childrent to attend school on christmas?

somehow i won't be surprised if you continue to run away

I janswered you yes long ago Yurt.

Why did you ignore my answer?

Why would they do that?

answer the question....can they require school attendance on christmas day? yes or no....

They already require people to attend school on talk like a pirate day and could if the christian religion is no longer held by as many people.

They can in that respect.

Otherwise it would be contrary to their own purposes of teaching kids. Too many would just not be there on that day out of choice.

Can we have school suspended on Talk like a pirate day?

Or better yet no punishment for those who talk like a pirate all day?

I asked a simple question - is it that hard to find a law prohibiting the singing of carols? That would be the first step.

I have an issue with it? That's news to me....

yes, just one post shows you have an issue:

your question, as i stated earlier, has nothing to do with the fact that the community, nor the students can choose the opportunity if the admin denies them the opportunity. the answer to your question is right in front of you, the law states that the admin can deny them that opportunity.....

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There is no law against singing carols in school , this law does make it illegal for the school to organize for a specific religion.

If you want a day with EVERY religion to show their religion to other students then there is no problem there. I think they should teach world religion to all ages.

Chistians would blow a gasket.

still running away from the questions i see....

do the other religions have national holidays? do you support abolishing christmas as a national holiday....can schools force childrent to attend school on christmas?

somehow i won't be surprised if you continue to run away

I janswered you yes long ago Yurt.

Why did you ignore my answer?

you never answered my question, you mentioned something about pirate days....you never, ever specifically stated whether they school can require attendance...you never answered whether other religions have national holidays, you never answered whether you support abolishing christmas.....

if you did, i want a link to those specific answers. if you don't link it, then you're admitting you just lied.

see so doing religious stuff in school definately doesn't leave a lasting impression, let alone indoctrinate someone ;).

I'm not saying it does. But there is no reason to make it mandatory. If anyone who is small Government should agree. Leave it up to the individual schools. If enough parents complain, I'm sure it will be changed.

However, making a law is ridiculous.

my little ;) at the end was to denote me being a wise ass :D

I didn't think you were saying it does.

On this topic you and I agree way more than we disagree, i dont think it should be mandatory that there are or mandatory that there are not christamas or other holiday carols sung in schools. That should be up to the PTA/School faculty IMO.

Indeed making a law mandating christmas carols is equally as ludicris as making a law banning them.

You know our country is F-ed in the head when this is an actual topic of discussion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back