A Tea Party Wants Mandatory Christmas Carols In Public Schools

Man ... I remember singing XMas carols in elementary school and it being fun ... we had a couple of Jewish kids in my grade we got draddles and sang the draddle song ... nobody cared.

I miss the 80's

:lol:

I still did that when I was in elementary school too.

And it didn't kill ya, right?

I mean, really, the PC'ing of Holiday season sucks, dude.

well, chicken or egg... which came first? the religious right trying to make the U.S. a theocracy? or people who can't so much as stand the slightest reference to holidays?

i don't know the answer, btw...

Of course it didn't kill me.

You do notice Art that I never said Christmas Carols shouldn't be sang? I don't care if it's allowed, however making it mandatory for the school to allow it is wrong. Plus, this thread was originally made to point out the hypocrisy of this specific tea party by trying to use the Government that they supposedly want limited to further their agenda.

It's as Jill just said, I can't stand the religious right trying to turn this country into a theocracy. But hey, I sang in the Chorus in Elementary School, sang Christmas Carols and all. Though I'm sure they wouldn't like us singing Feliz Navidad. It being Spanish and all. :lol:

Last edited:
lmao....so public schools can require kids to attend school on christmas? yes or no?

Why would they do that?

answer the question....can they require school attendance on christmas day? yes or no....

They already require people to attend school on talk like a pirate day and could if the christian religion is no longer held by as many people.

They can in that respect.

Otherwise it would be contrary to their own purposes of teaching kids. Too many would just not be there on that day out of choice.

You do notice Art that I never said Christmas Carols shouldn't be sang? I don't care if it's allowed, however making it mandatory for the school to allow it is wrong. Plus, this thread was originally made to point out the hypocrisy of this specific tea party by trying to use the Government that they supposedly want limited to further their agenda.

that makes no sense....you don't care if it is allowed, but you care if the school is mandated to make it allowed....shouldn't it be up the students and not the school? if the school doesn't allow it, the students don't have the opportunity....so if you don't care if it is allowed, then you shouldn't care if schools are mandated to allow it

see thats the problem with WIKI, sometimes they leave out crucial parts of the story.

"Congress shall make no law respecting and establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

In 1801, the Danbury Baptist Association of Danbury, Connecticut, heard a rumor that the Congregationalist denomination was about to be made the national denomination. That rumor distressed the Danbury Baptists, as it should have. Consequently, they fired off a letter to President Thomas Jefferson voicing their concern. On January 1, 1802, Jefferson wrote the Danbury Baptists, assuring them that "the First Amendment has erected a wall of separation between church and state."

His letter explained that they need not fear the establishment of a national denomination—and that while "the wall of the First Amendment would protect the church from government control—there always would be open and free religious expression of all orthodox religious practices, for true religious expression of all orthodox religious practices, for true religious duties would never threaten the purpose of government. The government would interfere with a religious activity was a direct menace to the government or to the overall peace and good order of society." (Later Supreme Court identified potential "religious" activities in which the government might interfere: things like human sacrifice, bigamy or polygamy, the advocation of immorality or licentiousness, etc. If any of these activities were to occur in the name of "religion," then the government would interfere, for these were activities which threaten public peace and safety; but with orthodox religious practices, the government would not interfere).

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/97584-origins-separation-of-church-and-state.html#post1798923

Last edited:
Why would they do that?

answer the question....can they require school attendance on christmas day? yes or no....

They already require people to attend school on talk like a pirate day and could if the christian religion is no longer held by as many people.

They can in that respect.

Otherwise it would be contrary to their own purposes of teaching kids. Too many would just not be there on that day out of choice.

why can't you answer the question?

....can they require school attendance on christmas day? yes or no

are you going to keep avoiding answering a simple question or do you have the guts to answer it?

that makes no sense....you don't care if it is allowed, but you care if the school is mandated to make it allowed....shouldn't it be up the students and not the school? if the school doesn't allow it, the students don't have the opportunity....so if you don't care if it is allowed, then you shouldn't care if schools are mandated to allow it

If the school is mandated to make it allowed, I care, yes. It should be up to the school. Unless you missed this fact, students have little to no rights in school. If the school doesn't allow it, the school doesn't allow it.

I don't think the religious right should be shoving anything down people's throats. And take note, they are only trying to mandate Christmas Carols, not anything non-Christmas.

Funny,, the founding fathers founded this country hundreds of years ago,, and until the lunatic lefts got a buzz in their bonnet Christmas and Merry Christmas in school, at home, and on the public square has never been a problem. The vast majority loves to celebrate Christmas , Tidings of love and good cheer.. but as the saying goes it only takes one rotten apple to spoil the pie!

It's as Jill just said, I can't stand the religious right trying to turn this country into a theocracy. But hey, I sang in the Chorus in Elementary School, sang Christmas Carols and all. Though I'm sure they wouldn't like us singing Feliz Navidad. It being Spanish and all. :lol:

I didn't read the thread all that thoroughly but I dont doubt your. I think their point that it isn't mandatory is correct. At least that's the way I read the OP.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There is no law against singing carols in school , this law does make it illegal for the school to organize for a specific religion.

If you want a day with EVERY religion to show their religion to other students then there is no problem there. I think they should teach world religion to all ages.

Chistians would blow a gasket.

:lol:

I still did that when I was in elementary school too.

well, chicken or egg... which came first? the religious right trying to make the U.S. a theocracy? or people who can't so much as stand the slightest reference to holidays?

i don't know the answer, btw...

Nor do I, Jill.

Its just pretty lame that it happened.

I didn't read the thread all that thoroughly but I dont doubt your. I think their point that it isn't mandatory is correct. At least that's the way I read the OP.

I still liked Chanuka day, making dradles and playing games all day was a blast.

:D

Jooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Funny,, the founding fathers founded this country hundreds of years ago,, and until the lunatic lefts got a buzz in their bonnet Christmas and Merry Christmas in school, at home, and on the public square has never been a problem. The vast majority loves to celebrate Christmas , Tidings of love and good cheer.. but as the saying goes it only takes one rotten apple to spoil the pie!

You do in fact realize that the Founding Fathers had an opportunity to make this country into a Christian nation through an amendment and decided not to?

You do in fact realize that the United States is the first modern Liberal state so to speak correct? Conservatives wanted to give George Washington the crown if not totally opposed to the United States.

I'm pretty sure during their time, the Founding Fathers were considered part of the "lunatic left" before the Revolution for daring to speak out against King George.

Besides, our Founding Fathers never made Christmas a National Holiday. That happened in 1870.

By the way Willow, Happy Holidays. :D

If the school is mandated to make it allowed, I care, yes. It should be up to the school. Unless you missed this fact, students have little to no rights in school. If the school doesn't allow it, the school doesn't allow it.

I don't think the religious right should be shoving anything down people's throats. And take note, they are only trying to mandate Christmas Carols, not anything non-Christmas.

you make no sense....it doesn't matter if students don't have all rights, they do have some rights though....this should be up to the students, you're taking away their opportunity and instead oddly leaving it up to administrators....it doesn't harm anyone if the students have the choice vs. the administrators....

of course they're only talking about christmas carols, this is the christmas season, christmas holiday etc....

You can not use a government school for ONE religions celebration.

That day would have to include ALL religions celebrations

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There is no law against singing carols in school , this law does make it illegal for the school to organize for a specific religion.

If you want a day with EVERY religion to show their religion to other students then there is no problem there. I think they should teach world religion to all ages.

Chistians would blow a gasket.

still running away from the questions i see....

do the other religions have national holidays? do you support abolishing christmas as a national holiday....can schools force childrent to attend school on christmas?

somehow i won't be surprised if you continue to run away

you make no sense....it doesn't matter if students don't have all rights, they do have some rights though....this should be up to the students, you're taking away their opportunity and instead oddly leaving it up to administrators....it doesn't harm anyone if the students have the choice vs. the administrators....

of course they're only talking about christmas carols, this is the christmas season, christmas holiday etc....

They have rights however they do not have a voting bloc. The Administrators have decided, and the decision is final. I was in High School until a year ago, there was a lot of rules I did not like. I thought plenty of them were unfair. But could we do anything about it? No.

And maybe you're still in 1950, but Christmas is no longer the only major holiday in this season.

Forum List

Back