A Tale of Two Storms. $60 Billion in Fed Aid Within 10 Days

easy to not be selfish when it ISN'T your money you are all giving away

Ahh, but it is "our" money.

New York and New Jersey have been paying far more than their per capita share in federal taxes for decades now. And both states have been in the bottom half of federal spending received, per capita, for decades now.

Which means that, if you want to point out what money belongs to whom, New York and New Jersey are owed a hell of a lot of back taxes, to make up the difference for all the money they've been shorted over the years.

So, how dare you and your pals from the South hold back the money that you've been taking from us all these years, now that we clearly need some assistance.

New York and New Jersey have been paying far more than their per capita share in federal taxes for decades now. And both states have been in the bottom half of federal spending received, per capita, for decades now.

Which means that, if you want to point out what money belongs to whom, New York and New Jersey are owed a hell of a lot of back taxes, to make up the difference for all the money they've been shorted over the years.

So, how dare you and your pals from the South hold back the money that you've been taking from us all these years, now that we clearly need some assistance.

Then the anger should be directed at Christy for not putting enough away for a rainy day, so to speak..The people of this country keep giving and giving and it's NEVER enough for some of you..

Then the anger should be directed at Christy for not putting enough away for a rainy day, so to speak..The people of this country keep giving and giving and it's NEVER enough for some of you..

^fundamentally a bad person

^fundamentally a bad person

if you're looking in a mirror, I agee

You are utterly full of revisionist shit, and I told you this in the other thread.

The fact is Governor Blanco asked for federal assistance on Saturday August 27, as soon as it became clear the storm was coming. And Bush signed off. In other words they both did their jobs. Something you couldn't be bothered to do in anything like "research".

"...I have determined that this incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments, and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a disaster. I am specifically requesting emergency protective measures, direct Federal Assistance, Individual and Household Program (IHP) assistance, Special Needs Program assistance, and debris removal. ... "In response to the situation I have taken appropriate action under State law and directed the execution of the State Emergency Plan on August 26, 2005 in accordance with Section 501 (a) of the Stafford Act. A State of Emergency has been issued for the State in order to support the evacuations of the coastal areas in accordance with our State Evacuation Plan."" -- Gov. Kathleen Blanco, August 27 ... that's two days before the storm. DUH.

By the way Governors don't declare disaster areas. Presidents do.:asshole: - and they do that after the event. You can't do it before.

The blame has already been lain, officially, on the Army Corps of Engineers. If that doesn't fit your revisionist agenda that's just too god damn fucking bad.

I beg to differ with your "account", Pogo...if Governor Blanco had requested National Guard troops or Federal troops, order would have been kept in New Orleans but she failed to do so until well AFTER the storm hit. If she and Mayor Ray Nagle had ordered a mandatory evacuation two days in advance of the storm instead of 14 hours before Katrina made landfall a whole lot of people would be alive today that aren't. To maintain that Blanco "did her job" would be laughable if it weren't for all the people who suffered because she DIDN'T do her job.

I don't know where y'all pull these made-up stories from -- makeshitup.com? The history still is, and this hasn't changed, the evacuation was ordered two days before; the Gov ordered I-10 contraflowed on Saturday 8/27. That was the very day the path of the storm became certain; before that it was not known. About the National Guard, I think you're confusing an order for additional troops to be specifically assigned to New Orleans that day, as can be seen here:

On September 1, 2005, with reports of looting and lawlessness escalating, Governor Blanco announced she was sending 300 Louisiana National Guardsmen to supplement the New Orleans Police Department, saying, "These troops are fresh back from Iraq. They are well-trained, experienced, battle-tested and under my orders to restore order in the streets. These are some of the 40,000 extra troops that I have demanded. They have M-16s, and they're locked and loaded."
(Wiki - emphasis added) "Extra" troops, not first troops.

I ask again, he said to the chorus of crickets, what is the point of getting all hung up on mandatory evacuation orders? What does this have to do with Congress? Indeed what is the point of all this fixation on Kathleen Blanco at all? This is really simple: Warrior102 came up with the fabrication that the governor "abandoned the state", even referring to Blanco as "he", since he too is making it all up as he goes along. So I immediately corrected that on both counts. It's settled. It's been settled.

How is this stupid history revision relevant to this thread? Y'all don't bother to read these corrections anyway so wtf does which date which governor sent which National Guard troops where have to do with the topic at all? Smokescreen?

"Ray Nagle" :lmao: You're making it up too. Y'all are embarrassing yourselves.

PS I should note, that post from Claudette you quoted? She came back after I corrected her too, and divulged that she had gone to Snopes overnight and found out I had it right and she had it wrong. She was big enough to come back the next day and admit that. So that post thread and the fabrications it started with is history now. She never did explain whence come these history revisions (smells like Beck spirit to me), nor have any of you explained how you think you can challenge eyewitness accounts with some blog you found on the internet seven years later.

Does an NBC Nightly News report qualify as "some blog", Pogo? I'm sorry but the fact is Gov. Blanco mishandled the situation in New Orleans terribly. You seem to be confused by the difference between a mandatory evacuation order and an evacuation order. The mandatory evacuation order was given 19 hours before landfall despite the fact that the evacuation plan for New Orleans stipulated that a minimum of 48 hours would be needed to evacuate. Blanco didn't call for help from National Guard troops or military until Sept. 1st. As for Ray Nagle? You really want to defend his incompetence?
On the Saturday edition of the NBC Nightly News, anchored by John Seigenthaler, correspondent Lisa Myers reported several critical mistakes made by Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco in handling the Hurricane Katrina crisis. The story even showcased a whispered conversation, recorded by CNN, between Blanco and an aide in which Blanco admitted she had been too slow in asking for federal troops. Blanco: "I really need to call for the military ... and I should have started that in the first call."

Myers also relayed that when Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered a mandatory evacuation 20 hours before Katrina hit, they were ignoring the advice of experts who had warned it would take 48 hours. Additionally, Blanco was slow to get National Guard troops to restore order. A complete transcript of the story follows:

John Seigenthaler: "In the aftermath of the hurricanes, NBC News has been taking a hard look at response failures by government officials, and there are plenty to go around. We've already brought you reviews of federal and city actions. Well, tonight, NBC's senior investigative correspondent Lisa Myers focuses on the performance of Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco."
Lisa Myers: "It was Governor Blanco's first big disaster, and on that Saturday, less than 48 hours before Katrina hit, she reassured the state."
Governor Kathleen Blanco (D-LA): "I believe that we are really prepared. That's the one thing that I've always been able to brag about."
Myers: "Though experts had warned it would take 48 hours to evacuate New Orleans, Blanco did not order a mandatory evacuation that Saturday."
Blanco: "And we're going to pray that the impact will soften."
Myers: "She and the mayor waited until Sunday, only 20 hours before Katrina came ashore, to order a mandatory evacuation, the first of what disaster experts and Louisiana insiders say were serious mistakes by the governor."
State Senator Donald Cravins (D-LA): "It certainly appeared that there was a lot of indecisiveness exhibited by the governor in the early stages of the disaster."
Myers: "A key criticism, the governor's slowness in requesting federal troops. She told the President she needed help, but it wasn't until Wednesday that she specifically asked for 40,000 troops. That day, in a whispered conversation with her staff caught on camera, the governor appears to second-guess herself."
Blanco: "I really need to call for the military."
Unidentified female aide: "Yes, you do. Yes, you do."
Blanco: "And I should have started that in the first call."
Myers: "Another key mistake, experts say, Blanco's lateness in getting the Louisiana National Guard, which she commands, on the streets to try to establish security."
Jane Bullock, Former Clinton FEMA Official: "It would have been better if it had happened sooner."
Myers: "And remember the chaos at the Convention Center? We now know there were at least 250 Guardsmen deployed in another part of that building. But they were engineers, not police, so they were not directed to help restore order or even to share their food and water."
Colonel Doug Mouton, Louisiana National Guard: "I think we would've hurt a lot of people if we'd tried to take that on."
Myers: "The governor would not say whether she made the decision not to use these troops, and tells NBC News that her state's response to Katrina was, quote, 'very well-planned' and 'executed with great precision and effectiveness.'"
Roy Fletcher, Louisiana Political Consultant: "How could any governor argue that they have done what they can do when people were left on an interstate without food and water for a week?"
Myers: "The governor has said she takes responsibility for what went wrong, but insists her biggest mistake was believing FEMA officials who told her help was on the way. Lisa Myers, NBC News, Washington."

That's a good point.

Tell me, how exactly would he be "putting away for a rainy day" when all of his state's money is being spent on welfare for the Red States?

If the Red States weren't such a bunch of moochers, maybe New York and New Jersey wouldn't need relief funding.

That's a good point.

Tell me, how exactly would he be "putting away for a rainy day" when all of his state's money is being spent on welfare for the Red States?

If the Red States weren't such a bunch of moochers, maybe New York and New Jersey wouldn't need relief funding.

Many of the red states have a lot of military bases that take federal dollars and I will bet there are more folks on welfare in NY and NJ than in any of the red states.

I beg to differ with your "account", Pogo...if Governor Blanco had requested National Guard troops or Federal troops, order would have been kept in New Orleans but she failed to do so until well AFTER the storm hit. If she and Mayor Ray Nagle had ordered a mandatory evacuation two days in advance of the storm instead of 14 hours before Katrina made landfall a whole lot of people would be alive today that aren't. To maintain that Blanco "did her job" would be laughable if it weren't for all the people who suffered because she DIDN'T do her job.

I don't know where y'all pull these made-up stories from -- makeshitup.com? The history still is, and this hasn't changed, the evacuation was ordered two days before; the Gov ordered I-10 contraflowed on Saturday 8/27. That was the very day the path of the storm became certain; before that it was not known. About the National Guard, I think you're confusing an order for additional troops to be specifically assigned to New Orleans that day, as can be seen here:

On September 1, 2005, with reports of looting and lawlessness escalating, Governor Blanco announced she was sending 300 Louisiana National Guardsmen to supplement the New Orleans Police Department, saying, "These troops are fresh back from Iraq. They are well-trained, experienced, battle-tested and under my orders to restore order in the streets. These are some of the 40,000 extra troops that I have demanded. They have M-16s, and they're locked and loaded."
(Wiki - emphasis added) "Extra" troops, not first troops.

I ask again, he said to the chorus of crickets, what is the point of getting all hung up on mandatory evacuation orders? What does this have to do with Congress? Indeed what is the point of all this fixation on Kathleen Blanco at all? This is really simple: Warrior102 came up with the fabrication that the governor "abandoned the state", even referring to Blanco as "he", since he too is making it all up as he goes along. So I immediately corrected that on both counts. It's settled. It's been settled.

How is this stupid history revision relevant to this thread? Y'all don't bother to read these corrections anyway so wtf does which date which governor sent which National Guard troops where have to do with the topic at all? Smokescreen?

"Ray Nagle" :lmao: You're making it up too. Y'all are embarrassing yourselves.

PS I should note, that post from Claudette you quoted? She came back after I corrected her too, and divulged that she had gone to Snopes overnight and found out I had it right and she had it wrong. She was big enough to come back the next day and admit that. So that post thread and the fabrications it started with is history now. She never did explain whence come these history revisions (smells like Beck spirit to me), nor have any of you explained how you think you can challenge eyewitness accounts with some blog you found on the internet seven years later.

Does an NBC Nightly News report qualify as "some blog", Pogo? I'm sorry but the fact is Gov. Blanco mishandled the situation in New Orleans terribly. You seem to be confused by the difference between a mandatory evacuation order and an evacuation order. The mandatory evacuation order was given 19 hours before landfall despite the fact that the evacuation plan for New Orleans stipulated that a minimum of 48 hours would be needed to evacuate. Blanco didn't call for help from National Guard troops or military until Sept. 1st. As for Ray Nagle? You really want to defend his incompetence?

I see "Ray Nagle" went right over your head ::wwooooosh::

You will never hear or see me or probably any other New Orleanian defend Ray Nagin, but at least we know what his name is. That's a glaring sign right there which one of us knows what we're talking about.

I've already corrected you about the NG troop additions, and you cannot order an evacuation on a storm you don't yet know is coming (the path wasn't fixed until Saturday).

Again, what exactly is your point trolling around for people with a D after their name to point fingers? I am compelled to reiterate: Nagin was arrogant (that's a redundancy); Blanco was inadequate; Bush was clueless and Brown and Chertoff were incompetent -- none of them caused the flooding. That was, he said for the 47th time, the fault of the Army Corps of Engineers. Unfortunately they don't have a D or and R after their name. You're just gonna have to deal with that and get over this mindless game of counting points for red and blue football teams.

Forum List

Back