A Serious Question for Liberals - Tax Rates

Whenever there's talk about tax rates and what the "fair share" should be for the wealthy to pay, there's always a few liberals that bring out the argument of how top marginal tax rates were as high as 94% back in 1944. This is true. They were also 91% back in 1946, and and 77% in 1964.

Now, assuming people actually payed those taxes back in the day. Here's my question;

Lets say we raised the top marginal tax rate for all income above $250k to 94%, just like they were back in the day.

If we have someone already earning $250k, what is their incentive to increase their earnings $100k for a total of $350k, if they'd only get see $6,000 of it?

Essentially only getting to keep 6 cents of every dollar earned over $250k.

Again, lets say the top marginal tax rate only affected income over $500k. What incentive would a person have to earn $600k, when in reality, they'd only see $6,000 of their newly earned income?

Back in the days of 90+% tax rates the deductions were much more lucrative as well.

What deductions?

Back then, "tax shelters" were legal and written in the tax code.

Tax shelters are no longer legal.

The whole tax debate is BS....the democrats in congress know dam well that when we had much higher tax rates, the deductions allowed and tax strategy allowed by law made it no different than the lower tax rates of today without the shelters.

Romney and his buddies paying practically no taxes still accounted for 70% of all federal taxes paid in the US.

But of course, you think they should pay more.

Goddamned right they should!

It is time that the completely insane distribution of weath in this nation is addressed. If we have to address it through taxation, so be it.

Because higher taxes automatically equal higher wages, right?

Because by making those immoral, greedy CEOs pay more taxes, they will also somehow have more money to pay workers?

How 'bout the government just takes control of everything and pays everyone the same wages. Income inequality solved.

Here's a good avatar for you.

170px-Hammer_and_sickle.svg.png

You dumb shit. I was on base and in uniform when we stopped those ships off of Cuba. Volunteered, not drafted. Do you have a dd214? If not, don't even try to call me unpatriotic. What I have said, is that the people on the factory floor should get a bigger slice of the pie. Maybe some of these CEO's should only get a million or so, and some of the people doing the actual production a few thousand more a year. It would boost the economy, and lead to the majority of us paying more of the tax burden.

Whenever there's talk about tax rates and what the "fair share" should be for the wealthy to pay, there's always a few liberals that bring out the argument of how top marginal tax rates were as high as 94% back in 1944. This is true. They were also 91% back in 1946, and and 77% in 1964.

Now, assuming people actually payed those taxes back in the day. Here's my question;

Lets say we raised the top marginal tax rate for all income above $250k to 94%, just like they were back in the day.

If we have someone already earning $250k, what is their incentive to increase their earnings $100k for a total of $350k, if they'd only get see $6,000 of it?

Essentially only getting to keep 6 cents of every dollar earned over $250k.

Again, lets say the top marginal tax rate only affected income over $500k. What incentive would a person have to earn $600k, when in reality, they'd only see $6,000 of their newly earned income?

91% is too much. 70% is what we need.

You say this becuase we were able to make it work way back when they were that high.
However, back then tax shelters were legal.

Have a 70% tax rate on income over 250K WITHOUT the tax shelters?

No one will be willing to take risks...and business will slowly die in the US.

Is that what you want?

20% of the wealthiest Americans are already paying 70% of all federal taxes. What burden are you talking about?

The amount of taxes paid & the marginal tax bracket is nonsense. The loopholes & low dividend tax rate are the whole problem. When you look at total tax revenue & not just income tax, the rich are actually paying lower effective tax rate than the poor/middle class.

Investment flows to where it receives a greater return. We can't compete if our product cost more because we have to pay more tax than the rich. This tax system is a huge benefit to the rich & a huge burden to the middle class. If a middle class person made widgets, they would cost more than the rich widgets because the middle class widget maker has to pay more tax per widget. This drives all the middle class out of business, into poverty & onto the government dole every time the rich wants to compete. The rich win every time thanks to the current tax scheme.

The people earning above $350k need to start actually paying a higher percentage of their income in taxes than the middle class.

te07chart2.jpg

Yes, the rich pay a lower effective tax rate than you and I. Even with that "immorality," 20% of the wealthiest Americans account for 70% of all federal taxes.

Should 20% of the population pay for 80% of all taxes? 90% 100%??

It's any wonder you can dress yourself in the morning, much less understand tax rates.

If 20% of the population take 80% of all the earnings, they must pay at least 80% of all taxes or else they are preying on the other 80% of the population through the tax code.

Romney and his buddies paying practically no taxes still accounted for 70% of all federal taxes paid in the US.

But of course, you think they should pay more.

It is time that the completely insane distribution of weath in this nation is addressed. If we have to address it through taxation, so be it.

And there we have it.. the mantra of wealth redistribution and the destruction of freedom

So your definition of a free nation is a plutocracy. The majority of us don't like that idea, and are taking measures to prevent it. Or, given that we are almost there right now, get it turned around.

Because by making those immoral, greedy CEOs pay more taxes, they will also somehow have more money to pay workers?

How 'bout the government just takes control of everything and pays everyone the same wages. Income inequality solved.

You dumb shit. I was on base and in uniform when we stopped those ships off of Cuba. Volunteered, not drafted. Do you have a dd214? If not, don't even try to call me unpatriotic. What I have said, is that the people on the factory floor should get a bigger slice of the pie. Maybe some of these CEO's should only get a million or so, and some of the people doing the actual production a few thousand more a year. It would boost the economy, and lead to the majority of us paying more of the tax burden.

Question...

If I start a business....and after 6 months, it fails due to a fire.....and I lose my entire investment......should I have the right to have my employees share in my loss?

If not...why should they share in the success if they are not to share in the failure?

Why no, that is not what I said at all. What I said was the 20% should not have such a greater income than the 80% that they pay 70% of the taxes.

In other words, the 80% should be recieving a whole lot more for the work that they do. How do you like them apples? That is even worse to you worshipers of plutocracy.

Because it's immoral that someone that works harder than others be rewarded with so much more.

What a totally idiotic reply. You think people that work 48 to 72 hours a week at a job that is physically and mentally demanding are lazy? Romney worked harder than these people? That is like saying a bank robber works harder than anyone else because he manages to steal a couple of million in an hours time.

People like Buffet and Gates work smarter, and more creatively, but not harder than most of the people I work with. And both those men state that the wealthy should pay at least the total percentage that the middle class does.

Again, you're dictating how much a person should earn simply by the amount of hours they put in. I've busted my ass for $8.00 an hour before. Sometimes working shifts of up to 17 hours. I've worked 80 hours a week, and it sucked big time. I didn't see the CEO alongside me at 2 AM stocking shelves and vacuuming.

Does that mean we should get paid the same?

Hell no. That CEO put in the work long before I did, and deserves what he earns. I don't care if he earns 300 times what I make while sipping on a martini.

Why? Because he earned that luxury. And along with it, the right to do with his money whatever he pleases. I am nobody to say how much he should earn. And if I'm unhappy with my wages I should either ask for a raise or get a better job.

And I love how you compared Romney with a bank robber. I feel sorry for you man; I can't imagine what it must be like to have your entire belief system revolve around envy and jealousy.

And there we have it.. the mantra of wealth redistribution and the destruction of freedom

So your definition of a free nation is a plutocracy. The majority of us don't like that idea, and are taking measures to prevent it. Or, given that we are almost there right now, get it turned around.

The majority of us wish all things were free

But there are certain things we MUST adhere to despite what our personal wants are...that is what made the USA great.

[91% is too much. 70% is what we need.

Okay.

Do you honestly believe people will be compelled to earn 30 cents on the dollar beyond $250k?

Of course. It is still good money.

is it worth RISKING spendable income for a POSSIBLE 30% return.

You need to understand.....that 30 percent return AFTER taxes is only iof things go well

So your response is assuming the business owner will KNOW FOR SURE that his return will be 30%.

The cost of the risk is an important factor.

Okay.

Do you honestly believe people will be compelled to earn 30 cents on the dollar beyond $250k?

If I may...your question is flawed...

It should be the following....

Do you honestly believe that giving away 70% in taxes to the government will compell business owners to take the chance of losing a lot of money by expanding?

Okay.

If I may...your question is flawed...

It should be the following....

Do you honestly believe that giving away 70% in taxes to the government will compell business owners to take the chance of losing a lot of money by expanding?

I stand corrected. That is indeed a more realistic way of looking at it.

Why? Because he earned that luxury.

By doing what exactly? Going to a good business school? -- yeah, that's a terrible sacrifice.

No.

By having sleepless nights for the first few years of running the busioness.
By sacrificing family time and free time for the first several years.
By not having the luxury of vacation days and sick days and personal days for the fiorst few years.
By worrying about meeting payroll and venodr bills during a recession

By not being able to turn to the emnployee handbook and saying "I have my rights...I can take tomorrow off" when they heard that a relative died.

So your response is assuming the business owner will KNOW FOR SURE that his return will be 30%.

What kind of math is that? If your investment returns 5%, it is still profitable. That profit might be taxed at 70%, yes, but so what? The investment was still good.

Question...

If I start a business....and after 6 months, it fails due to a fire.....and I lose my entire investment......should I have the right to have my employees share in my loss?

If not...why should they share in the success if they are not to share in the failure?

What a dumb question. Particularly in this economy.

Your employees will share your loss. Do you think it is easy to find another job today? And how many of those employees relocated for the job?

This reminds me of that constant refrain of the owner is taking all the risks, and the workers none, so the workers should get as little as possible.

I have worked in sawmills, construction, and steel mills for 50 years now. You know how many men I have seen killed and maimed on the job? As a millwright, the men I work with, millwrights and electricians, put their lives on the line every day. Just one mistake, and it doesn't even have to be their own, and they can be killed or crippled.

And I have not stated that the owner or CEO should not get a larger salary than the craftsmen. However, the ratio should be closer to 1 to 10 than 1 to 230.

The ratio of CEO to worker compensation: Are they worth it? | The Economist

The ratio of CEO to worker compensation

Are they worth it?

May 8th 2012, 14:03 by J.S. | London

In a new paper the Economic Policy Institute, a think-tank, calculates that chief executives at America's 350 biggest companies were paid 231 times as much as the average private-sector worker in 2011. This ratio, which includes the value of share options, has begun to rise again after falling during the recession (see chart). This disparity matters more in bad times when the average Joe is feeling the pinch. Wages in America have been flat for years while CEO pay has risen substantially, sometimes with little relation to company performance. Disgruntled shareholders are making their displeasure known. This week the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, a big investor in Sprint Nextel, said it would vote against the re-election of boss Daniel Hesse to the board (plus five other senior executives) at this month's annual meeting in protest at compensation packages and underperformance. (This despite Mr Hesse's announcement that he will sacrifice a $3.25m chunk of his package.) In Britain, shareholders are also in fighting form. On May 8th the head of Aviva, a big insurer, stepped down after more than half of investors voted down proposed executive pay packages. It is the third such resignation in what is already being dubbed the 'shareholder spring'.

By doing what exactly? Going to a good business school? -- yeah, that's a terrible sacrifice.

No.

By not having the luxury of vacation days and sick days and personal days for the fiorst few years.

By not being able to turn to the emnployee handbook and saying "I have my rights...I can take tomorrow off" when they heard that a relative died.

I know...I have been there.

My marriage struggled for the first few years I ran my first company...we were young....but we survived it.

I missed many of my sons football games....had to work on Saturdays.

Never went to my sons school plays...and I regret it now.

My employees?

They had their set vacation time...sick days/....personal days......berevement days......mental health days......

Me?

If I took any of them, the business would suffer.

No.

Well, if you think your business is that much more important than your family, perhaps you shouldn't be in business. A solid business manager would have somebody in his group that he could turn the business management over to for the few days it takes for important family events.

Forum List

Back