A revolt is growing as more people refuse to pay back student loans

What job can an 18 year old work at that would be able to pay his tuition at the same time as going to school? None. Tuition is at least $18k/yr. To pay that off and other living expenses, the person would have to work a 40K with a high school degree. That doesn't exist in this world for young people.

Also, these students were told this degree would get them a job in their field. They manipulated the job numbers to say "Hey, you will get a job when you graduate!" Which weren't true. These schools broke the law, that's why they are trying to get their loan forgiven.

I didn't say they have to work for all the money. I ended up with $4K in debt. I worked odd jobs for $10 an hour in the eighties doing painting, yard work, etc. I also worked nights as a network operator. I had to be there 4 hours a night. I didn't have to work unless the network is down, they were fine with me doing homework. Summer, winter, spring break I worked full time plus.

I worked at working at it. That's what it takes.

Yeah, sure, lol, in an IDEAL world, your ideas would work.

That I got an education with little help from my parents, worked so I could limit debt and got useful degrees that provided the income to pay back what I did have to borrow shows how wrong you are.

As for to that self reliance being "IDEAL" world and it doesn't work so we need government to do it for us, all I can say is

:cuckoo:

THAT is why we don't rely on charitable donations anymore. MOST people don't give a shit about other people. That's a fact.

The tsunami in the Indian ocean and other catastrophes shows how wrong you are.

Also, apparently personal responsibility like I took apparently just isn't part of your world as you keep ignoring that completely.

My view is:

1) Self reliance

2) Charity

Your view is

1) Government

Gawd, that's what keeps getting us deeper into this mess. Government provides our retirement and now our health care, you people now want free college. Oh, but government spending will reduce deficits kaz. Yeah. You are tripping

Our GOVERNMENT gave the people of India money too. Duh. So did many other GOVERNMENTS. Maybe you should realize how much money our government gives to foreign countries every year (BILLIONS of dollars) of "YOUR" tax payer money. A lot of that money could be kept here to help US.

Corinthian, a for-profit school (which I will get back to in a moment) that was shut down because they couldn't receive federal funds because they used deceptive marketing techniques and lied to the federal government about their job rates

This isn't just about fraudulent loans. Did you read the article? She just doesn't want to pay:

"By the time Heiney graduated in August 2014, she said she had racked up $18,810 in debt, with nearly 80 percent coming from federal loans. This month marks the end of the six-month grace period on her student loans, which means the government will starting asking Heiney for its money. But she won’t pay."

Maybe she CAN'T pay.

Moving the goal posts, I thought it was about fraud. As for the new goal posts, she isn't paying anything. She isn't negotiating or trying to work anything out. There is no indication she can't pay.

That I got an education with little help from my parents, worked so I could limit debt and got useful degrees that provided the income to pay back what I did have to borrow shows how wrong you are.

As for to that self reliance being "IDEAL" world and it doesn't work so we need government to do it for us, all I can say is

THAT is why we don't rely on charitable donations anymore. MOST people don't give a shit about other people. That's a fact.

Also, apparently personal responsibility like I took apparently just isn't part of your world as you keep ignoring that completely.

My view is:

1) Self reliance

2) Charity

Your view is

1) Government

Gawd, that's what keeps getting us deeper into this mess. Government provides our retirement and now our health care, you people now want free college. Oh, but government spending will reduce deficits kaz. Yeah. You are tripping

Our GOVERNMENT gave the people of India money too. Duh. So did many other GOVERNMENTS. Maybe you should realize how much money our government gives to foreign countries every year (BILLIONS of dollars) of "YOUR" tax payer money. A lot of that money could be kept here to help US.

The American people gave far more than the American government did, contradicting your claim again we're a bunch of cheap, selfish people. Foreign was the reverse, almost all giving was their government. And yes, all foreign aid should be eliminated, every dime

My view is:

1) Self reliance

2) Charity

Your view is

1) Government

The American people gave far more than the American government did, contradicting your claim again we're a bunch of cheap, selfish people. Foreign was the reverse, almost all giving was their government. And yes, all foreign aid should be eliminated, every dime

Yes, a lot of people are cheap and selfish, as demonstrated right here in this thread and many, many others. And also demonstrated in the food banks hurting for food, homeless people, etc. You are living in la-la land. Wake up. There are TOO many poor people to rely on charity.

Last edited:
Well, la-tee-da. Some of us had parents who could not afford to send us to college. Okay? Consider yourself one of the LUCKY ones.

Um...this is pointless if you're not reading my posts while you respond to them. I've been going on endlessly that my parents barely helped me. Are you reading the posts at all? My parents had a deal. My mother helped my sister, my father was supposed to help me. This probably wasn't thought through, my father didn't pay child support while we were growing up. And he barely helped me. I wasn't going to ask my mother for help, she couldn't afford to help both my sister and me. So I did it myself. Again, how are you missing that? I've gone into it several times already.

Unfortunately, you are just WRONG. Food banks are suffering every year because they NEED more people to donate food. There are TOO many people in need and not enough generous people out there to rely on charitable donations.

Your world is a fantasy world.

So government will do it for us and bam, we'll save money! People will get useful degrees and not waste the free money!

And you say I live in the fantasy world, now that's tripping

So according to some liberals, being dishonest and irresponsible is now "awesome."

Get a liberal to loan you some money and then later refuse to pay. When they complain, tell them that it's "awesome" that you're not paying them back.

Well, la-tee-da. Some of us had parents who could not afford to send us to college. Okay? Consider yourself one of the LUCKY ones.

Um...this is pointless if you're not reading my posts while you respond to them. I've been going on endlessly that my parents barely helped me. Are you reading the posts at all? My parents had a deal. My mother helped my sister, my father was supposed to help me. This probably wasn't thought through, my father didn't pay child support while we were growing up. And he barely helped me. I wasn't going to ask my mother for help, she couldn't afford to help both my sister and me. So I did it myself. Again, how are you missing that? I've gone into it several times already.

Unfortunately, you are just WRONG. Food banks are suffering every year because they NEED more people to donate food. There are TOO many people in need and not enough generous people out there to rely on charitable donations.

Your world is a fantasy world.

So government will do it for us and bam, we'll save money! People will get useful degrees and not waste the free money!

And you say I live in the fantasy world, now that's tripping

Look, your personal story has NOTHING to do with the fact that other people cannot afford to go to college, even if they DESERVE to be there. I don't care about your anecdotes. They could be lies for all I know, therefore, they are POINTLESS. The fact is that many, many, many deserving people cannot afford to go to college.

Conservatives are against raising minimum wage, against public assistance, against helping people in any way whatsoever. Well, sorry, this is not the 1950s. Times are a LOT harder and everything is a LOT more expensive.

Yes, government should INVEST in our people!!! The only argument you have is GREED. You do live in a fantasy world. Tax money collected is not YOUR money. It is our money and should go into bettering our people and preparing them better for life.

There can certainly be stipulations on the way the money is spent too. Just like with student loans, you HAVE to maintain a certain grade point average. You can't just slack off. They could also limit it so that it doesn't include such things as "liberal arts."

"Awesome"? So it's awesome to sign a contract for a loan to get an education and then to refuse to keep your word? Most people would cal that dishonest and irresponsible.

Sheesh, who are you people? Where were you raised? Do you have any concept of basic values like honesty, integrity, work, and responsibility?

That stuff doesn't mean shit in today's world, buddy.

What job can an 18 year old work at that would be able to pay his tuition at the same time as going to school? None. Tuition is at least $18k/yr. To pay that off and other living expenses, the person would have to work a 40K with a high school degree. That doesn't exist in this world for young people.

Also, these students were told this degree would get them a job in their field. They manipulated the job numbers to say "Hey, you will get a job when you graduate!" Which weren't true. These schools broke the law, that's why they are trying to get their loan forgiven.

I didn't say they have to work for all the money. I ended up with $4K in debt. I worked odd jobs for $10 an hour in the eighties doing painting, yard work, etc. I also worked nights as a network operator. I had to be there 4 hours a night. I didn't have to work unless the network is down, they were fine with me doing homework. Summer, winter, spring break I worked full time plus.

I worked at working at it. That's what it takes.

You can't do "odd jobs" anymore without being insured and licensed. You are a liability, and no one is going to hire you. It's not that EASY anymore.

Look, your personal story has NOTHING to do with the fact that other people cannot afford to go to college, even if they DESERVE to be there. I don't care about your anecdotes. They could be lies for all I know, therefore, they are POINTLESS. The fact is that many, many, many deserving people cannot afford to go to college.

Yet you brought it up when you said I was lucky to have parents who sent me to college, suddenly when it turns out I did it myself it’s off limits and I get chastised. Yeah. Is this your final position or are you working on another one?

Conservatives are against raising minimum wage, against public assistance, against helping people in any way whatsoever. Well, sorry, this is not the 1950s. Times are a LOT harder and everything is a LOT more expensive.

The minimum wage only prevents people not worth an arbitrary dollar amount from getting a job. It’s evil and does nothing but harms the person you claim to want to help.

As for conservatives are “against public assistance, against helping people in any way whatsoever.” First of all, again, I’m not a conservative. Try to keep up, I’ve already pointed that out. I’m a libertarian. Bripat and Uncensored are also not conservatives, Bripat is an anarchist and Uncensored is a minarchist. You want to argue with conservatives, go for it, but right now you are not.

Second of all, you’re full of shit, conservatives aren’t opposed to government providing assistance. You pulled that out of your ass, it’s baseless and you can’t possibly show that.

Third of all, you’re full of shit, assistance to you is only when government does it. Charity by force isn’t charity, only charity by choice is. Take a crow bar to your wallet and help people yourself rather than running to government to do it for you.

Yes, government should INVEST in our people!!! The only argument you have is GREED. You do live in a fantasy world. Tax money collected is not YOUR money. It is our money and should go into bettering our people and preparing them better for life.

You are delusional. Nothing government does is “investment.” Government spends money, it invests in nothing.

There can certainly be stipulations on the way the money is spent too. Just like with student loans, you HAVE to maintain a certain grade point average. You can't just slack off. They could also limit it so that it doesn't include such things as "liberal arts."

How many government programs will it take to get you to grasp that every stupid government rule fails, as well as the rules they add to fix the rules that didn’t work, then the rules they add to fix those rules that didn’t work, …

Yet you brought it up when you said I was lucky to have parents who sent me to college, suddenly when it turns out I did it myself it’s off limits and I get chastised. Yeah. Is this your final position or are you working on another one?

The minimum wage only prevents people not worth an arbitrary dollar amount from getting a job. It’s evil and does nothing but harms the person you claim to want to help.

As for conservatives are “against public assistance, against helping people in any way whatsoever.” First of all, again, I’m not a conservative. Try to keep up, I’ve already pointed that out. I’m a libertarian. Bripat and Uncensored are also not conservatives, Bripat is an anarchist and Uncensored is a minarchist. You want to argue with conservatives, go for it, but right now you are not.

Second of all, you’re full of shit, conservatives aren’t opposed to government providing assistance. You pulled that out of your ass, it’s baseless and you can’t possibly show that.

Third of all, you’re full of shit, assistance to you is only when government does it. Charity by force isn’t charity, only charity by choice is. Take a crow bar to your wallet and help people yourself rather than running to government to do it for you.

You are delusional. Nothing government does is “investment.” Government spends money, it invests in nothing.

How many government programs will it take to get you to grasp that every stupid government rule fails, as well as the rules they add to fix the rules that didn’t work, then the rules they add to fix those rules that didn’t work, …

I'm not chastising you. Knock that crap off. I said your stories might be just that, "stories." Since this is the internet, nobody really knows, so they are pointless. Is what my "final position?" That I did not chastise you? Yes.

Oh, it's "evil" huh? That is ridiculous hyperbole. IF you want people to be able to pay for their own college education, then they are going to need to make more than the current minimum wage, because for a lot of people, that would be an impossible expectation. You can't get a GOOD job with no education. See how that works?

Well, if you're not a conservative, then you should not be offended at all by my statements about conservatives. Most of the conservatives that post here feel exactly the way I described. They are against all of those things with FEW exceptions. You can even ask them, and so are your buddies. I've argued with plenty of these people about these things, so I know and I'm not full of shit.

It is an investment in the future of America to invest in education. Sorry, but you are wrong.

No they don't fail. Some of them suck and do fail. Others may not be perfect but things could be MUCH worse without them. Face facts, times have changed a lot and things are not as simple as they used to be. Things are MUCH more expensive and MUCH more complicated nowadays.

LOL, the "Republican" couldn't spot the liberal fallacy.

Government not giving people free college means Republicans oppose college.

What morons you both are

Perhaps you should have read the topic before spouting off:

We have too many college graduates as it is.

4 year community college that extends childhood to 30, and makes a bachelors as worthless as a high school diploma is now.

It takes a special kind of retard to believe a college education is worthless or that "we have too many college graduates".

Did you read the thread title and the OP's post? The discussion is about government paying for college. I know bripat and uncensored and neither are going to oppose you buying a college education with your own money. They are both going to oppose you buying a college education with our money

BTW, once your tax money leaves your hands. It is NOT "your" money anymore. :)

What a useless statement. If government pays more out, they one way or another take it in out of the economy. So yeah, it is my money

No it's not "your" money. It is "our" money once it goes to the government. Higher education is a good investment in our country and our future. An educated society is a GOOD thing.

Sorry, but stolen swag never become the property of the thief.

My view is:

1) Self reliance

2) Charity

Your view is

1) Government

Tuition at most public universities is a lot less than 18K/yr. At University of South Florida the tuition for a year is about $12K

Tuition at most public universities is a lot less than 18K/yr. At University of South Florida the tuition for a year is about $12K

Living within their means is not part of a liberal's world

Yeah...and for the default period as reported on the Credit Reporting Agencies, the little ingrate fucks credit is trash...
And in case your rock under which you live, good credit is not just for borrowing money..
Here is a short list of things for which one needs a good credit rating
1. housing...If one wishes to rent an apartment, a credit check is done. Bad credit? GO elsewhere.
2 Insurance. If one wants auto or other liability insurance, a good credit rating means lower rates. The opposite is true for dead beats.
3. Employment. Employers not only perform NCIC background checks, they also perform credit checks. Bad credit rating? Sorry, you can't work here.
So these little deadbeat fucks whose mommy and daddy coddled them throughout their sheltered lives, are going to have their cupcakes living at home for a while because that degree doesn't mean shit. "you want fries with that?"
Oh A tax refund? Forget it....Oh! Wait a minute....Can't get a job. Why? Shit credit.
Here's the rules....You accept the money, you pay it back. Period.....Try that shit with a home or car loan...They take it away....And you get shit.

Forum List

Back