A question for some on the Left

Shouldn't the left argue for equal wage for illegal immigrants?

It could help stop employers from hiring Illegals while ensuring that I.I.s are treated with dignity!

Just a thought.

Of course it's a complete misperception that "the left" wants illegals to take jobs (or even compete for them) that legal Americans can do. With the exception of harvesting the fields, however, no one can do it more efficiently and as fast as Mexicans who come here illegally just for that purpose. And no one knows that better than the agri-farm conglomerates who feed the world.

I don't know if it's liberal or not but I'm of the opinion that we should do away with the illegal status. Everyone who is here who is not a citizen should have the right to work as a documented guest worker. They should get paid at least minimum wage but still pay all the taxes everyone else has to pay, including SS taxes as well.

They never should have abolished the system of bussing Mexicans across the border during planting at various points across the country, and when that was done, bussing them back. Then doing the same thing at harvest time. They came across to harvest lettuce, beans, and other summer crops and moved further north to harvest apples, etc. While they were on our soil, they were guest workers, and the farmers provided housing. Then they were returned across the border, most of them never desiring American citizenship because this was not their HOME, but simply a place to work.

But that became way too political when Caesar Chavez tried to form a union for his grape pickers to get them a better wage. The rest is history.

If you believe illegals have a right to labour and perform work for what payment they might honestly earn- without the government trying to stopping them as it's between the labourer(s) and the capitalist(s)... why don't you recognize that same right when it comes to citizens- after all, don't minimum wage laws violate that very principle?

No because nobody with half a brain believes that immigrants are going to get anything close to minimum wage.

Mimimum wage ensures that Americans AREN'T paid what immigrants get.

You are right about that, most immigrants don't work for wages that low.

Forum List

Back