Zone1 A question for Jews

The 1st Chanukah...

By 164 BCE, the Jewish revolt against the Seleucid monarchy was successful.

The Temple was liberated and rededicated. The festival of Hanukkah was instituted to celebrate this event.

Judah ordered the Temple to be cleansed, a new altar to be built in place of the polluted one and new holy vessels to be mad
The first Hanukka was a delayed celebration of Sukkot

I asked five Jewish grandmothers yesterday. They said Sukkot was a different holiday.
Sukkot is a different holiday. But after the war, because it was not celebrated when it should have been, it was celebrated at that time. It's the reason Hanukka is a 8 day holiday.

Chek this out -- the source is one that is not widely studied, but it exists if one chooses to accept it as accurate

From your link.

The First Hanukkah

It was actually a Sukkot celebration.

BY NOAM ZION

In addition to the victory parades of the ancient Maccabees that celebrated their political independence, the original holiday also took the form of a Temple rededication ceremony.

In the Second Book of the Maccabees, which quotes from a letter sent circa 125 BCE from the Hasmoneans to the leaders of Egyptian Jewry, the holiday is called “The festival of Sukkot celebrated in the month of Kislev,” rather than Tishrei, which usually falls in September.

Since the Jews were still in caves fighting as guerrillas on Tishrei, 164 BCE, they could not properly honor the eight-day holiday of Sukkot (and Shemini Atzeret), which is a Temple holiday; hence it was postponed until after the recapture of Jerusalem and the purification of the Temple.

I asked five Jewish grandmothers yesterday. They said Sukkot was a different holiday.
I lived in a christian town my entire childhood-----grandmothers, grandchildren,
nieces, nephews, uncles and aunts -----believed that Jesus ate bacon and eggs for
breakfast. The gathering in Jerusalem-----as a celebration of harvest, took place
before the Temple was profaned by the minions of ANTIOCHUS----was SUKKOS.
It was delayed by the filth-----back in the day. The holiday celebrating the defeat
of the invaders is CHANUKAH and is described in the Talmud which Jesus quoted
(assuming that at least some of the NT is accurate) and to which he OBVIOUSLY
ADHERED as per the School of Hillel.

Last edited:
I lived in a christian town my entire childhood-----grandmothers, grandchildren,
nieces, nephews, uncles and aunts -----believed that Jesus ate bacon and eggs for
breakfast

That's funny.

I was having coffee yesterday with Jewish grandmothers. They said Sukkot was a seven day harvest celebration.

That's funny.

I was having coffee yesterday with Jewish grandmothers. They said Sukkot was a seven day harvest celebration.
Yes it is----and chanukah celebrates the expulsion of the minions of Antiochus whose antics
delayed the celebration of sukkot that YEAR --------is this concept beyond your ken? It is
well documented by literate persons long before Anglicanism existed or as DISRAELI
said----'whilst your ancestors were living in trees'

That's funny.

Correct. And the very first time it was celebrate was as a delayed Sukkot. Hanukka is a very minor holiday. Heck, the books of Maccabea are not even in the Hebrew bible. The holiday as celebrated today is only prominent because of its proximity to Christmas.

Yes it is----and chanukah celebrates the expulsion of the minions of Antiochus whose antics
delayed the celebration of sukkot that YEAR --------is this concept beyond your ken? It is
well documented by literate persons long before Anglicanism existed or as DISRAELI
said----'whilst your ancestors were living in trees'
The temple had been defiled by Antiochus IV.

Forum List

Back