A Puzzling Query From The Bible

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Have you ever considered this oddity: in Genesis, God referring to Himself in the third person?

Genesis 1:26says, “Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.’”

Genesis 3:22states, “And the LORD God said, ‘The man has now become like one of us.’”

Genesis 11:7 "Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

Is one to conclude that there may be more than one Eternal Being???

Well, no.... the Bible makes clear that there is only one.

1. "Deuteronomy 4:35,39 — Unto thee it was shown, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. (39) Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

2. Deuteronomy 6:4 — Hear, O Israel: The LORD thy God is one LORD. [Note in Mark 12:28-34 how Jesus and a Jewish scribe he encountered understood this text.]

3. Deuteronomy32:39 — See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

4. 2 Samuel 7:22 — Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God; for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

5. 1 Kings 8:60 — That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

7. 2 Kings 19:15 — And Hezekiah prayed before the LORD, and said, O LORD God of Israel, which dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; thou hast made heaven and earth.

8. 1 Chronicles 17:20 — O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

9. Nehemiah 9:6 — Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou has made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

11. Psalm 86:10 — For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone."
28 Biblical Passages Which Explicitly Teach There is Only One God

Have you ever considered this oddity: in Genesis, God referring to Himself in the third person?

Genesis 1:26says, “Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.’”

Well, he isn't referring to himself in the third person. He's referring to himself in the First Person, Plural. They obviously didn't cover this at the University of Phoenix Mail Order Diploma Mill.

Genesis 3:22states, “And the LORD God said, ‘The man has now become like one of us.’”

Genesis 11:7 "Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

1. "Deuteronomy 4:35,39 — Unto thee it was shown, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him. (39) Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

2. Deuteronomy 6:4 — Hear, O Israel: The LORD thy God is one LORD. [Note in Mark 12:28-34 how Jesus and a Jewish scribe he encountered understood this text.]

3. Deuteronomy32:39 — See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand.

4. 2 Samuel 7:22 — Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God; for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

5. 1 Kings 8:60 — That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

7. 2 Kings 19:15 — And Hezekiah prayed before the LORD, and said, O LORD God of Israel, which dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth; thou hast made heaven and earth.

8. 1 Chronicles 17:20 — O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

9. Nehemiah 9:6 — Thou, even thou, art LORD alone; thou has made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth, and all things that are therein, the seas, and all that is therein, and thou preservest them all; and the host of heaven worshippeth thee.

11. Psalm 86:10 — For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone."

Yes. It's called the TRINITY.
Father. Son (Jesus) and Holy Spirit.
It's perfect proof of it. Just because the word TRINITY is not used, doesn't mean it isn't so.

God told Moses: I am what I am
Jesus told the Pharisees: before Abraham was, I am

Draw your own conclusions...

Ms. Chic, I always figured God was using the Imperial "us", but that's just a guess. Do you believe the words 'in our image' means we look like God and his angels?

If you value your faith, I suggest you don't delve too deeply into any unusual things like that you might find in the bible. Just gloss over it, and continue to concentrate on the parts that you like as you always have. Actual study of the bible, and expecting it to make sense has turned many strong believers into agnostics or atheists. The bible only works if you chose to suspend rational thought.

If you believe God is all knowing, you have to assume he understands things humans can not.

The ability to be one person in three is something our human minds can't grasp.

If you value your faith, I suggest you don't delve too deeply into any unusual things like that you might find in the bible. Just gloss over it, and continue to concentrate on the parts that you like as you always have. Actual study of the bible, and expecting it to make sense has turned many strong believers into agnostics or atheists. The bible only works if you chose to suspend rational thought.
Bulldog, You are very wise. In 2 weeks I will have completed my 4th decade on this planet, and have believed in God all my life. But I also have a moderate sense of logic, and so no longer believe as I did as a child. Things like the Holocaust and Sandy Hook cast doubt on whether God knows my name, as I once believed. I am still a believer, and a Bible quoter, and try to live by the principles I find there. But somewhere along the line, I discovered that I have learned that what I once thought, that God is there to take care of me, is wrong, and he probably wont be there for me. So when I see the suffering today of Middle East Christians and question why we serve a God that is deaf to our pain, I have to admit how little I understand of what he wants from us. Surely Christian agony does not pleasure him, so what's going on?

In the garden of Eden there were many trees whose fruit was pleasing to the eye and good to eat. When Jesus healed the blind man he wrote something on the ground, made a past of mud and spit, covered his eyes and then asked him what he saw. At first he said, "I see people; they look like trees walking around." Mark 8:24, and when Jesus told him to take a harder look the man's sight was restored and he saw everything clearly in his mind. Here Jesus was teaching the blind man to understand the figurative language used in scripture where men are often compared to trees.

The 'us' in 'let us make man in our image' represents the many people, living beings, depicted as fruitful trees with God in paradise.

"I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you ask whatever you wish and it will be given you. This is to my Father s glory that you bear much fruit showing yourselves to be my disciples"

Last edited:
God made the Angles in his image and he address's this to include them.
Let us make man in our image, he includes them out of modesty and courtesy.

What are angels if not highly evolved people figuratively depicted as mythological beings, messengers of God, whose fruit is pleasing to the eye and good to eat? What is the devil if not a degenerate person figuratively depicted as a mythological being, the adversary of God, whose poisonous fruit is forbidden to eat?

Last edited:

Have you ever considered that bible is made up bullshit?

God made angles? So he was good at pool?

Bulldog, You are very wise. In 2 weeks I will have completed my 4th decade on this planet, and have believed in God all my life. But I also have a moderate sense of logic, and so no longer believe as I did as a child. Things like the Holocaust and Sandy Hook cast doubt on whether God knows my name, as I once believed. I am still a believer, and a Bible quoter, and try to live by the principles I find there. But somewhere along the line, I discovered that I have learned that what I once thought, that God is there to take care of me, is wrong, and he probably wont be there for me. So when I see the suffering today of Middle East Christians and question why we serve a God that is deaf to our pain, I have to admit how little I understand of what he wants from us. Surely Christian agony does not pleasure him, so what's going on?
The bible is bullshit. Now you know.

You got any proof that it is?

You got any proof that it is?
king-james-bible.png

I am still a believer, but my flavor of religion is much different from what you will see with religious nuts and TV preachers. Being a Christian, or trying to follow the teachings of Jesus, is one of the greatest things a person can do, even if he may have never existed in real life. It's a totally different thing than following the beliefs of hateful bible thumpers who use the bible to justify their own prejudices.

In the garden of Eden there were many trees whose fruit was pleasing to the eye and good to eat. When Jesus healed the blind man he wrote something on the ground, made a past of mud and spit, covered his eyes and then asked him what he saw. At first he said, "I see people; they look like trees walking around." Mark 8:24, and when Jesus told him to take a harder look the man's sight was restored and he saw everything clearly in his mind. Here Jesus was teaching the blind man to understand the figurative language used in scripture where men are often compared to trees.

The 'us' in 'let us make man in our image' represents the many people, living beings, depicted as fruitful trees with God in paradise.

"I am the true vine and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you ask whatever you wish and it will be given you. This is to my Father s glory that you bear much fruit showing yourselves to be my disciples"

So it's like a magic lamp? Anything you wish will be given to you?

The bible is bullshit. Now you know.

Wrong. It may not be historically true, but many of the things taught in the bible stories are worthwhile. Just don't try to take it too literally.

I am still a believer, but my flavor of religion is much different from what you will see with religious nuts and TV preachers. Being a Christian, or trying to follow the teachings of Jesus, is one of the greatest things a person can do, even if he may have never existed in real life. It's a totally different thing than following the beliefs of hateful bible thumpers who use the bible to justify their own prejudices.
We are of a single mind on this, Bulldog.

Forum List

Back