A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs

I know a young lady (35 or so) lives in a very small rv, works odd jobs.
Know a number of retired that have done the same as we do.
Know others that live in a house in summer then use one to move south.
Know a family of seven lived and traveled for three years just so the children could see the country.
There are those that have traveled for many years then just found an RV park that they liked and are now stationary until they die.

There are RV parks that have pools, exercise equipment, tennis courts.
There is one that has an eight hole golf course, woodworking shop, lapidary shop, stained glass shop and others. All for the use of those that stay there.
Some places have bingo nights, horse shoe competitions, pot lucks, banquets on holidays, live entertainment.

You might be parked next to a mechanic or a mechanical engineer. You meet people from all walks of life.

The article does not take into account those that vacation in the RV. The whole point is that there may be those that are on hard times in an RV. But there are those that chose it for a reason.

It's sounds like they are always running from the cops..

Doubt anyone would get very far running from the police with an RV. Not something that can do a get away.

Most people I see at parks are out talking and you have to register just like at a motel.

Walmart..

You see them a bunch, I know the cops look the other way
Walmart allows RVs to camp overnight. They believe that it helps their business since most that stop also buy. Cracker Barrel, Basspro and others do the same. Some cities do not allow overnights in any parking lots.

No matter how you try to make it last, at some point, usually every few days, you have to plug in to power and dump your holding tanks, plus take on water.

You would do better To try and evade the police in a car or truck.
Sorry that this does not fit your narrative.

Solar has come a long way for RVs. Can't run A/C, but pretty much everything else can be taken care of.

Can't run heat either..

Not those little ones

Democrats and Republicans want different things.

Democrats want to help them.

Republicans want to point and laugh at them.

Democrats want to help them vote for Democrats, and take their money in taxes, to pay for people to be even less productive.

Republicans actually help people get out of poverty, not by giving them free stuff, but by helping them become a productive member of society, and pay for their own stuff, using their own labor.

Fact is Dean, we give way more to charity and helping the poor, than you people on the left ever do. That is actually a fact that is universally true. You people never help the poor. If anything, you just demand others help the poor, but never do yourselves.

I guess there was a sub-topic about the poor and homeless segment of the people living in RVs.

There are plenty of people living in RVs who are still productive members of society.

`
Back in my 20's, I traveled out west with a couple in an RV. It was fun, exciting and a learning experience. However, the drawback is the person (people) you are traveling with. Privacy is almost non-existent. Arguments do break out that sometimes linger for weeks. Over, this is something I'd do only if I had to.
`

`
Back in my 20's, I traveled out west with a couple in an RV. It was fun, exciting and a learning experience. However, the drawback is the person (people) you are traveling with. Privacy is almost non-existent. Arguments do break out that sometimes linger for weeks. Over, this is something I'd do only if I had to.
`

Yes, the person you travel with is important. The space is limited and, as you said, privacy is rare.

A lot of full-time RVers travel alone or with a pet. That seems easiest for some. I am lucky to have someone I travel well with.

I could see traveling with a couple could be difficult pretty quick.

RV-Lifestyle-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"
I'd do it for sure.

Need a class A license for this one (which I have), but hell, its a good way to live.

First off depends on what state you live in. Most states you need nothing more then a standard drivers license. In Texas you do need a special license but it is still not a CDL.

There are class a motor homes that can run three million. In the case of that particular Newmare you are possibly looking at a million or close to it. Keep in mind that an oil change on a class a will run you a hundred or more. Cheap tires will run you $600.00 a piece.

There are more expenses involved then just buying the RV. Places to park, maintaining, replacing, fuel costs, taxes and license all contribute to cost. Keep in mind if you are retired you have less income then you did when working. Keep in mind also that they are not meant to be lived in in temperature extremes. For most that means moving South and North as seasons allow.

As Winterborn stated there are used that can be had for cheaper then new. Gipper is also correct that they depreciate very quickly. They are not like a house that can increase in value.

Basicly I am just saying that if you are interested in living full time in an RV make an informed decision. What may sound like a great idea may not be a fit for you. The life stile does not fit everyone.

If you do want to make the leap then look at whatever you want to buy. I mean really look. Do not be enticed by glamor. Look at the construction. Look at how you would live in it. Is the shower tall enough? Can you comfortably use the toilet? Imagine yourself being inside for a day or two due to rain. Can you use the kitchen well?
Next consider that for some what they think they want later on changes, so the first RV you buy might not be the one that you really want.
Consider also what you will do when you are forced off the road. It happens to everyone. You get too old to comfortably drive, medical problems, the death of a spouse. What ever the reason, you need to have a plan in place. Will you park the RV and live in it in one spot? Will you sell the RV and buy a house?

For me and mine it is a great life and I would not change it for anything. For others it seems crazy and a foreign concept. Some think it is what they want, they try it for a year or two then realize that it is not something they like.
We travel to an area then we see what is in the area. We do not rush, we are retired after all. We spent a month in and around Flagstaff Az. A few years ago. We spent two weeks in Brice Canyon. We some times stop for what we think will just be overnight but after talking with those in the campground we may stay longer to see sites we did not know about.
We have meet people from all walks of life. We usually talk with a large portion of those in the RV park and at least say hello. How many can say that they know or even talk to those that live a block away?

It's sounds like they are always running from the cops..

Doubt anyone would get very far running from the police with an RV. Not something that can do a get away.

Most people I see at parks are out talking and you have to register just like at a motel.

Walmart..

You see them a bunch, I know the cops look the other way
Walmart allows RVs to camp overnight. They believe that it helps their business since most that stop also buy. Cracker Barrel, Basspro and others do the same. Some cities do not allow overnights in any parking lots.

No matter how you try to make it last, at some point, usually every few days, you have to plug in to power and dump your holding tanks, plus take on water.

You would do better To try and evade the police in a car or truck.
Sorry that this does not fit your narrative.

Solar has come a long way for RVs. Can't run A/C, but pretty much everything else can be taken care of.

Can't run heat either..

Not those little ones

Not sure what you mean by running heat but most RV have a propane heater with a 12 volt fan that will heat the whole place. They run on the same 12 volt batteries as the lights.
The A/c, tv, microwave and a few other things has to be 110 volt but the rest is all set up to run off batteries. If you place solar on the roof or the ground you can live in an RV until you run out of room in your holding tanks or run out of water. You may need to refill propane, depending on usage. Your holding tanks are tanks that hold waste water and fresh water. Once you ranks are full or you need fresh water you can dump them and fill up by getting a campground spot for one night.
You can run water heater on propane, house heater on propane with the fan on battery, the refrigerator runs on propane with battery for controls, lights are battery.

Democrats want to help them vote for Democrats, and take their money in taxes, to pay for people to be even less productive.

Republicans actually help people get out of poverty, not by giving them free stuff, but by helping them become a productive member of society, and pay for their own stuff, using their own labor.

Fact is Dean, we give way more to charity and helping the poor, than you people on the left ever do. That is actually a fact that is universally true. You people never help the poor. If anything, you just demand others help the poor, but never do yourselves.

I guess there was a sub-topic about the poor and homeless segment of the people living in RVs.

There are plenty of people living in RVs who are still productive members of society.
You are correct. I know of people who work construction, do welding, build roads who live in RVs. One couple does web design. One woman does tech support for a software company.

You are correct. I know of people who work construction, do welding, build roads who live in RVs. One couple does web design. One woman does tech support for a software company.

Absolutely.

It could be as simple as "plugging in to an outdoor movie theatre outlet."

Providing elctric power will always come at a cost. RV parks are becoming more expensive. An old drive-in theater would work well, but putting in all that underground wiring and water pipes will be expensive.
for a "gated community" that could have all the amenities necessary to stay for a "short time or a long time".

I am thinking they could include wireless and USB ports.

In any case, the convenience of a relatively convenient place to recharge could take as long as necessary.

Last edited:
It costs a large sum of money to put in 50 and 30 amp service in each spot. Then add in water and sewer. Most people will not stay long in a parking lot, they want some space between each other and lawn a few trees near. They often want wifi, pool and at a minimum a meeting place. If they are going to stay more then a night or two they will want things that make them want to stay.
Optimized for RVs could include an entrance fee and "regular services included". You don't actually need to see the large outdoor screen if broadband access is available. RVs could "expand for the night? A port and safe harbor for RVs.

Upgrading to the latest technologies available is alway a good idea, regardless.

There should be a market regardless and Home Depot cannot always accommodate everyone.

Providing elctric power will always come at a cost. RV parks are becoming more expensive. An old drive-in theater would work well, but putting in all that underground wiring and water pipes will be expensive.
for a "gated community" that could have all the amenities necessary to stay for a "short time or a long time".

In any case, the convenience of a relatively convenient place to recharge could take as long as necessary.

Most RV parks have wireless. The USB isn't necessary, since ac outlet plugs for USB charging are readily available and cheap.

But the expense of prepping the land is an issue. To run water and power to all the spots, and do so underground, will not be cheap. Convenience is great but the average RVer doesn't want to be stacked in like a drive-in would. It would take much wider areas to be able to maneuver.

RV's may be a good choice for electric. The long base is a potential battery storage capacity.
My motorhome weighs 45,000 pounds. No way to move it affordably and effectively on electric. Maybe some day.
due to the weight or the range?
You are looking at a lot of weight and range. The longest I have seen on batteries is 350 miles. This was a car by the way. So increase weight to what an RV is and have no doubt that range might decrease. Most big RVs right now require a Diesel engine.

It costs a large sum of money to put in 50 and 30 amp service in each spot. Then add in water and sewer. Most people will not stay long in a parking lot, they want some space between each other and lawn a few trees near. They often want wifi, pool and at a minimum a meeting place. If they are going to stay more then a night or two they will want things that make them want to stay.
Optimized for RVs could include an entrance fee and "regular services included". You don't actually need to see the large outdoor screen if broadband access is available. RVs could "expand for the night? A port and safe harbor for RVs.

Upgrading to the latest technologies available is alway a good idea, regardless.

There should be a market regardless and Home Depot cannot always accommodate everyone.
You would need to remove at least close to half the parking spaces just so RVs could maneuver and have room to open up. Just to run electric under ground is very expensive. If you run water and sewer then you are adding into the cost. The best you could hope to get would be someone stopping for a night. That kind of campground with electric, water and sewer you might get $25.00 or $30.00 a night. Going to take many years to get your investment back. A few people do use places like Walmart or Home Depot but it is usually just long enough to catch a little shut eye then back to driving.

Most RV parks have wireless. The USB isn't necessary, since ac outlet plugs for USB charging are readily available and cheap.

But the expense of prepping the land is an issue. To run water and power to all the spots, and do so underground, will not be cheap. Convenience is great but the average RVer doesn't want to be stacked in like a drive-in would. It would take much wider areas to be able to maneuver.
outdoor movie theatre sites are the candidates for this, "case study".

RV's may be a good choice for electric. The long base is a potential battery storage capacity.
My motorhome weighs 45,000 pounds. No way to move it affordably and effectively on electric. Maybe some day.
You are looking at a lot of weight and range. The longest I have seen on batteries is 350 miles. This was a car by the way. So increase weight to what an RV is and have no doubt that range might decrease. Most big RVs right now require a Diesel engine.
Should we borrow from the railroad sector and use "petrol electric", in the mean time? Plug and play at the site would be wonderful.

There is no reason why they could not also have fuel vending capability, onsite.

You would need to remove at least close to half the parking spaces just so RVs could maneuver and have room to open up. Just to run electric under ground is very expensive. If you run water and sewer then you are adding into the cost. The best you could hope to get would be someone stopping for a night. That kind of campground with electric, water and sewer you might get $25.00 or $30.00 a night. Going to take many years to get your investment back. A few people do use places like Walmart or Home Depot but it is usually just long enough to catch a little shut eye then back to driving.
Depends on location, and other conditions.

The amenities could be the draw.

Let's pretend we want to explore this venture;

It could be the equivalent to a gated community and rest stop for RVs. Vendors could setup shop and help with costs.

What, in your opinion would make it worth a hypothetical, twenty-five dollar entrance free.

outdoor movie theatre sites are the candidates for this, "case study".

It isn't a case study. It is an investment. Investors want a return on their investment. The cost of running all the lines and pipes will be high. You might end up with 20% to 25% of the number of parking spaces the drive-in originally had. It would work for overnight stops, but not much more. And unless it was well advertised for the RVers, and convenient for an easy stop, there wouldn't be much traffic.

Hard to make back the original investment. Plus you have to jump through a lot of hoops to be able to put in a dumping station.

Should we borrow from the railroad sector and use "petrol electric", in the mean time? Plug and play at the site would be wonderful.

There is no reason why they could not also have fuel vending capability, onsite.

Yes, you could. But there is no way you will be able to compete with truck stops on the price of diesel fuel. So unless someone was running dangerously close to empty, I don't see that being much of a service people wanted. Most places barely make a profit on fuel anyway.

RV-Lifestyle-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"
I did it for four years and it was the best move I ever made. I met more people from so many places. Most were real nice, friendly, helpfull, and had a lot of info on where to go and what to do. I became part of a Moving City. Truck Stops, Rest areas Camping Sites, you meet everyone and meet new people many become life time friends. So a Million on wheels become a part of life, but all things come to past. Some quit because of Health, some just get road weary and loose interest but new ones take their place to discover America and it is worth every hour of it.

Forum List

Back