A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs

RV-Lifestyle-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"
We are getting ready to transition to RVing half of the year in the next 12 months.....we've had a 35 footer for a decade but because of my business we were not able to use it as much as we'd like....with retirement, we plan on that changing.

I know a young lady (35 or so) lives in a very small rv, works odd jobs.
Know a number of retired that have done the same as we do.
Know others that live in a house in summer then use one to move south.
Know a family of seven lived and traveled for three years just so the children could see the country.
There are those that have traveled for many years then just found an RV park that they liked and are now stationary until they die.

There are RV parks that have pools, exercise equipment, tennis courts.
There is one that has an eight hole golf course, woodworking shop, lapidary shop, stained glass shop and others. All for the use of those that stay there.
Some places have bingo nights, horse shoe competitions, pot lucks, banquets on holidays, live entertainment.

You might be parked next to a mechanic or a mechanical engineer. You meet people from all walks of life.

The article does not take into account those that vacation in the RV. The whole point is that there may be those that are on hard times in an RV. But there are those that chose it for a reason.

It's sounds like they are always running from the cops..

Doubt anyone would get very far running from the police with an RV. Not something that can do a get away.

Most people I see at parks are out talking and you have to register just like at a motel.

Walmart..

You see them a bunch, I know the cops look the other way
WalMart allows it. Cops have no need to look the other way.

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"
We are getting ready to transition to RVing half of the year in the next 12 months.....we've had a 35 footer for a decade but because of my business we were not able to use it as much as we'd like....with retirement, we plan on that changing.

Enjoy!!! I am looking forward to retiring and spending half our time on the road.

We are only considering repurposing outdoor movie theatre spaces.

And I am telling you what a lot of RVers want. Having spent years living in RV parks and talking with many, many RVers, I know something about the topic.
A large outdoor movie theatre complex would be an ideal stop over. They could broadcast movies along with provide internet access.

It could make more commercial sense to cater to RVs in that manner. There is no reason there could not be an RV wash that is flush capable.

Being able to expand and recharge overnight is also very convenient.

Other than it being almost impossible to make a profit, it would be great. Provided you find someone willing to throw away a few hundred thousand dollars (at a minimum) and if you could find a closed drive-in close to main travel areas.

Know what is more convenient? A WalMart parking lot for free.
You simply don't understand the difference in market potential.

why go to camp grounds with wi-fi at all; WalMart is free.

I understand the market potential. I also understand the high costs to develop and the minimal profits it would generate.

The reason you go to WalMart is because it is free and they almost always have a traffic light at the entrance to their parking lot, which counts when you are 55 to 60+ feet long and have to turn left.

I also understand the specific market being discussed. I am part of that market. And you? Have you had any dealings with RV camping?
Outdoor movie theatre complexes were automobile friendly, from inception. shipping and receiving should require "tractor trailer" access.

And I am telling you what a lot of RVers want. Having spent years living in RV parks and talking with many, many RVers, I know something about the topic.
A large outdoor movie theatre complex would be an ideal stop over. They could broadcast movies along with provide internet access.

It could make more commercial sense to cater to RVs in that manner. There is no reason there could not be an RV wash that is flush capable.

Being able to expand and recharge overnight is also very convenient.

Other than it being almost impossible to make a profit, it would be great. Provided you find someone willing to throw away a few hundred thousand dollars (at a minimum) and if you could find a closed drive-in close to main travel areas.

Know what is more convenient? A WalMart parking lot for free.
You simply don't understand the difference in market potential.

why go to camp grounds with wi-fi at all; WalMart is free.

I understand the market potential. I also understand the high costs to develop and the minimal profits it would generate.

The reason you go to WalMart is because it is free and they almost always have a traffic light at the entrance to their parking lot, which counts when you are 55 to 60+ feet long and have to turn left.

I also understand the specific market being discussed. I am part of that market. And you? Have you had any dealings with RV camping?
Outdoor movie theatre complexes were automobile friendly, from inception. shipping and receiving should require "tractor trailer" access.

Yes, they were automobile friendly. Not many 55' automobiles though, now are there?

Sure a tractor trailer could get in to deliver goods. But that would be during the day when there are no customers. I went to a number of drive-ins back in the day. I never saw enough snack bar business to warrant a tractor trailer delivery though.

It boils down to some very simple concepts.

First, the expenses involved in converting it to an RV park. As I said, the power and water being run to the individual lots will be expensive. Plus the expense of adding fuel capability and a dump station will be high and will require a LOT of red tape. Finding an investor willing to hand over hundreds of thousands of dollars for an enterprise that will have a low return is going to be impossible.

Second, the number of spots that were used for cars to park to watch the movie will be cut down to 1/4 because of the size of the new customers.

Third, unless the old drive-in is on a road that is frequently traveled by RV, no one will be there. They won't go out of their way to stop over for one night.

Last edited:

And there’s this:

Well, living in Arizona, my experience with RVers is pretty much limited to snowbirds, retired seniors who want to enjoy their freedom and travel, and also want to avoid the extremes of weather which can be so hard on their health.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why this article feels the need to try to conflate people who live in rather costly houses on wheels, and homeless people who live in their cars.

I was a full-timer for 10 years. It's a choice for some, but a necessity for others. I've known others who lived in an RV full time until they found a place they wanted to spend the rest of their days. It's a great way to travel and see what's out there. With the money you save on rent/mortgage payments, you can usually afford a nice down payment on a home.

Well, after the expense of the RV itself. They aren't exactly giving those suckers away as door prizes.

an outdoor movie theatre is at least as big as any HomeDepot parking lot for this venture.

Yes it is. But the Home Depot parking lot is free.
free and less convenient. Convenience is key; there is no such as an "Easy" store.

What would make it more convenient to go to an "RV park".

The biggest thing is location. Since this is all hypothetical, that cannot be answered.

Unless you can offer the RVer something they need, the Home Depot or Walmart parking lot will win because it is free. Being able to offer a place to plug in to 30 amp or 50amp service would be a draw. But putting that into the drive-in lot will be VERY expensive. And it would only give you about 1/4 the number of spaces that the drive-in had for movie goers.

Outdoor theatres were automobile accessible from inception. And, any business model should prove itself.

Putting in a Home Depot, cannot be any less expensive; and, they can afford to provide space for free.

An outdoor theatre space could be designed to be able to add more capacity from inception; and expanded as necessary.

Outdoor theatres were automobile accessible from inception. And, any business model should prove itself.

Putting in a Home Depot, cannot be any less expensive; and, they can afford to provide space for free.

An outdoor theatre space could be designed to be able to add more capacity from inception; and expanded as necessary.
Pay attention to what others have told you.

You say that putting in a Home Depot cannot be less expensive. They sell something besides RV spots. They have no utilities for RVs. They let people park for free because they may get bussiness from th RV and they get free word of mouth advertising.

You are talking about buying a place that was built with the idea of fitting automobiles in the closest possible space. RVs are larger n automobiles and require more room. You would need to remove the humps that were placed in each row. You would need to remove the posts that held the speakers. Most RVs expand to 12 feet wide how many autos are that wide. With no other work you could offer free parking and may get a few people. If you want to charge you would need to offer things like water, sewer, electric to each site. That would give you the bare minimum of money coming in. Perhaps $5.00 or $10.00 a night which would pay the bills for the utilities used by each site. To get higher you would need to offer other amenities such as a pool, wifi perhaps a putting green or even showers and laundry.

The outdoor screen would just be a tear down as it would have no use.
All of this would need to be on a highway that was of use to an RV person since they will not go out of their way on some back country road to get something that they can get at a normal campground.

Outdoor theaters were not designed to be accessible to 55 to 65 foot long rigs.

A business model that requires a very large capital investment that will have small returns will not garner support from investors. As I have pointed out, repeatedly, the installation of the individual power and water lines will make the venture prohibitively expensive to start.

Putting in a Home Depot is different. Home Depot makes a tidy profit from their business. They are not trying to only serve the RVers. They let them use the parking lot for free because they only stay overnight and will often spend a little money in the store. Much like the reason WalMart allows RVs to park overnight.

Daniel, you would be better off trying to restart the drive-in movie craze as a retro sort of family entertainment.

Let me break it down for you a little clearer.

You will need to have at least 2 employees working the lot. One at the gate and another cleaning and whatnot. There are always things to be done.

That means 2 full-time employees and 2 part-time employees. Pay 3 of them $8 and hour and 1 of them $10 an hour. Your gross weekly payroll is $976.00. That does not include payroll taxes ect. And it also means you will not be offering them any employee benefits.

Now, for just basic lots with electricity and water, you charge $20 per RV. And let's say you average 10 RVs staying each night. (I don't think you will get half that many, but we will be optimistic) That means your gross weekly revenue is $1,400. Which leaves you $424 a week to pay taxes, buy tools and materials, advertise ect ect ect.

Extend that out for a year, and you have $22k a year to pay for everything except what the employees make. All payroll taxes, property taxes, ect. All tools and cleaning supplies, all maintenance on equipment, and all groundskeeping equipment. Plus, you have to pay for the electricity and water that the RVers used.

And you pay your investors back with what?

Plus, your highest paid employee is pulling in $20,800.00 a year. Not exactly great money, so you won't get the best employees. You will get young, inexperienced employees or you will get drunks and druggies. Both of which need close supervision. But there is no money for that. So you would have to be there 7 days a week to make sure things went well. With no salary.

And that is just to offer an overnight spot with water & power. No showers. No store. No fuel.

Your business plan will not work.

Last edited:

You say that putting in a Home Depot cannot be less expensive. They sell something besides RV spots. They have no utilities for RVs. They let people park for free because they may get bussiness from th RV and they get free word of mouth advertising.

You are talking about buying a place that was built with the idea of fitting automobiles in the closest possible space. RVs are larger n automobiles and require more room. You would need to remove the humps that were placed in each row. You would need to remove the posts that held the speakers. Most RVs expand to 12 feet wide how many autos are that wide. With no other work you could offer free parking and may get a few people. If you want to charge you would need to offer things like water, sewer, electric to each site. That would give you the bare minimum of money coming in. Perhaps $5.00 or $10.00 a night which would pay the bills for the utilities used by each site. To get higher you would need to offer other amenities such as a pool, wifi perhaps a putting green or even showers and laundry.

All of this would need to be on a highway that was of use to an RV person since they will not go out of their way on some back country road to get something that they can get at a normal campground.
We have more advanced software to help with that. In my opinion, the most useful services should be included;

A full service restaurant and public toilets and showers. Including an RV wash and "tank dump" would make it worth it for most. Along with "power and internet" to the RV.

Modern technology could enable the use of "retractable connections".

We have more advanced software to help with that. In my opinion, the most useful services should be included;

A full service restaurant and public toilets and showers. Including an RV wash and "tank dump" would make it worth it for most. Along with "power and internet" to the RV.

Modern technology could enable the use of "retractable connections".

You simply refuse to admit you are wrong, don't you?

You would have advanced software to help with what? That quote is unclear. Of course, the chances of you answering my question are slim.

A full service restaurant? To serve 10 or 12 RVers a night? RV wash? So more employees? Despite what my post above showed? And a dump station? With all the red-tape to put it in and extra costs?

What is a "retractable connection"?

All of this use of the latest technology will cost more. How will you pay for it?

I posted this yesterday, but the glitch lost it.

Bob Wells is one of the "leaders" in the nomad lifestyle. He talks here about why he lives on the road.

I like one comment made by a family living in a schoolie. "This is a lifestyle choice, not a consequence"

Forum List

Back