A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs

It could be as simple as "plugging in to an outdoor movie theatre outlet."
It costs a large sum of money to put in 50 and 30 amp service in each spot. Then add in water and sewer. Most people will not stay long in a parking lot, they want some space between each other and lawn a few trees near. They often want wifi, pool and at a minimum a meeting place. If they are going to stay more then a night or two they will want things that make them want to stay.
Optimized for RVs could include an entrance fee and "regular services included". You don't actually need to see the large outdoor screen if broadband access is available. RVs could "expand for the night? A port and safe harbor for RVs.

Upgrading to the latest technologies available is alway a good idea, regardless.

There should be a market regardless and Home Depot cannot always accommodate everyone.
You would need to remove at least close to half the parking spaces just so RVs could maneuver and have room to open up. Just to run electric under ground is very expensive. If you run water and sewer then you are adding into the cost. The best you could hope to get would be someone stopping for a night. That kind of campground with electric, water and sewer you might get $25.00 or $30.00 a night. Going to take many years to get your investment back. A few people do use places like Walmart or Home Depot but it is usually just long enough to catch a little shut eye then back to driving.
Depends on location, and other conditions.

The amenities could be the draw.

Let's pretend we want to explore this venture;

It could be the equivalent to a gated community and rest stop for RVs. Vendors could setup shop and help with costs.

What, in your opinion would make it worth a hypothetical, twenty-five dollar entrance free.

First of all, you would have to find an area that is not close to an existing campground. Most state parks have them. KOA is all over the place.

For just an overnight stop, the amenities that would be a draw would be showers and laundry facilities. You'd have to make sure the showers were very secure. One incident with a woman being attacked, or even scared, would end your venture. Word gets around. The laundry facility isn't going to be a moneymaker, but could be a draw.

I am not knocking anyone doing this and for those who are retiring, why give the state 30 grand in taxes a year on your paid off home. But I do worry that the mobile lifestyle is not,conducive to putting down roots and developing communities. Take the hurricane. You folded up the awning and hauled ass probably not to come back any time soon. Where do you vote. How many taxes do you slide by while changing locations? Let me reiterate, I am not knocking anyone doing this but if enough people adopt the gypsy lifestyle for long enough it will become a disrupter
Don't know about others but as for myself I will answer some of your questions and you decide for yourself.

I vote in the state I use as my state of residence, the one that I use as my mail forwarding address.
I pay taxes on the RV.
I pay a company which employs a number of people to keep then forward my mail.
I pay fees at campgrounds which hire people, pay taxes and pay utility bills.
I pay sales taxes everywhere I go. Most campgrounds make you pay a visitors tax on top of sales tax.
I possibly buy more fuel in a year then most retired do in three.

I have numerous friends that I keep in contact with and when possible we meet up at one place or another.
At some point, either age or health you are forced of the road, at that point you revert to your exit strategy, which means moving onto land, buying a house, renting and apartment or whatever.

So though I do not pay a income tax, or real estate tax. I am not bypassing any taxes in the sense you think. But since I visit places and explore areas I do help keep people employed rather then the retired person that spends most of their day in the house and only ventures out to have a cup or two of coffee each day.
Property Tax, God I pay more than most.

RV-Lifestyle-Public-Domain-768x512.jpg

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"
I did it for four years and it was the best move I ever made. I met more people from so many places. Most were real nice, friendly, helpfull, and had a lot of info on where to go and what to do. I became part of a Moving City. Truck Stops, Rest areas Camping Sites, you meet everyone and meet new people many become life time friends. So a Million on wheels become a part of life, but all things come to past. Some quit because of Health, some just get road weary and loose interest but new ones take their place to discover America and it is worth every hour of it.

I did it for a lot of years. But mine was because of work. It only takes a few weeks of staying in hotels to make an RV really appealing. And I agree with Dan Stubbs where the community is concerned. Even though I was not on the road like many were, I made friends with people and have stayed in contact with more than a few.

The internet and smartphone have made the communities easier to stay with. Texting, email and social media has made it possible to stay in contact with people all over the country.

It could be as simple as "plugging in to an outdoor movie theatre outlet."

Another problem with the plan is based on the behavior of most RVers. Emptying the black water tank is one of the least favorite parts of RVing. So when most people pay for an RV park spot, they use the showers and toilets at the park. Building, maintaining and cleaning those is expensive.

Also, many of the menial tasks in a standard RV park are done by Camp Hosts. Most are paid a small salary or hourly wage, but nothing to get excited about. They typically get a free spot for their RV, which makes the job worthwhile. The ones I have talked to work 3 days on, 4 days off. So they also get to enjoy whatever outdoor activities the park has to offer. A former drive-in wouldn't have much to offer.

And there would be no way to show movies. First of all, RVers have a variety of electronic entertainment available. From internet to satellite tv, they can watch plenty of movies. Plus, it is easy to line up passenger cars one behind the other. But a 10 or 12 foot tall motorhome? YOu block everyone behind you.

Democrats and Republicans want different things.

Democrats want to help them.

Republicans want to point and laugh at them.

Democrats want to help them vote for Democrats, and take their money in taxes, to pay for people to be even less productive.

Republicans actually help people get out of poverty, not by giving them free stuff, but by helping them become a productive member of society, and pay for their own stuff, using their own labor.

Fact is Dean, we give way more to charity and helping the poor, than you people on the left ever do. That is actually a fact that is universally true. You people never help the poor. If anything, you just demand others help the poor, but never do yourselves.

:290968001256257790-final::lame2::offtopic::offtopic:

Vegas has dozens of RV parks that are at least half full year round, filling up in the Winter months.

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"
I'd do it for sure.

Need a class A license for this one (which I have), but hell, its a good way to live.

There are some very nice travel trailers and 5th wheels for 1/4 what you will pay for a nice Class A motorhome. Even a Class C can save you $100k or more and be easier to take boondocking.

RVs depreciate rapidly. So it makes sense to buy used. Many people buy RVs then seldom use them. You can find ten year old RVs very lightly used, selling for a fraction of their cost new.

People who buy RV's and don't use them or don't rent them when they are not using them, are fools.

And there’s this:

I'd do it for sure.

Need a class A license for this one (which I have), but hell, its a good way to live.

There are some very nice travel trailers and 5th wheels for 1/4 what you will pay for a nice Class A motorhome. Even a Class C can save you $100k or more and be easier to take boondocking.

RVs depreciate rapidly. So it makes sense to buy used. Many people buy RVs then seldom use them. You can find ten year old RVs very lightly used, selling for a fraction of their cost new.

People who buy RV's and don't use them or don't rent them when they are not using them, are fools.

Maybe but it is quite common.

And there’s this:

I'd do it for sure.

First off depends on what state you live in. Most states you need nothing more then a standard drivers license. In Texas you do need a special license but it is still not a CDL.

There are class a motor homes that can run three million. In the case of that particular Newmare you are possibly looking at a million or close to it. Keep in mind that an oil change on a class a will run you a hundred or more. Cheap tires will run you $600.00 a piece.

There are more expenses involved then just buying the RV. Places to park, maintaining, replacing, fuel costs, taxes and license all contribute to cost. Keep in mind if you are retired you have less income then you did when working. Keep in mind also that they are not meant to be lived in in temperature extremes. For most that means moving South and North as seasons allow.

As Winterborn stated there are used that can be had for cheaper then new. Gipper is also correct that they depreciate very quickly. They are not like a house that can increase in value.

Basicly I am just saying that if you are interested in living full time in an RV make an informed decision. What may sound like a great idea may not be a fit for you. The life stile does not fit everyone.

If you do want to make the leap then look at whatever you want to buy. I mean really look. Do not be enticed by glamor. Look at the construction. Look at how you would live in it. Is the shower tall enough? Can you comfortably use the toilet? Imagine yourself being inside for a day or two due to rain. Can you use the kitchen well?
Next consider that for some what they think they want later on changes, so the first RV you buy might not be the one that you really want.
Consider also what you will do when you are forced off the road. It happens to everyone. You get too old to comfortably drive, medical problems, the death of a spouse. What ever the reason, you need to have a plan in place. Will you park the RV and live in it in one spot? Will you sell the RV and buy a house?

For me and mine it is a great life and I would not change it for anything. For others it seems crazy and a foreign concept. Some think it is what they want, they try it for a year or two then realize that it is not something they like.
We travel to an area then we see what is in the area. We do not rush, we are retired after all. We spent a month in and around Flagstaff Az. A few years ago. We spent two weeks in Brice Canyon. We some times stop for what we think will just be overnight but after talking with those in the campground we may stay longer to see sites we did not know about.
We have meet people from all walks of life. We usually talk with a large portion of those in the RV park and at least say hello. How many can say that they know or even talk to those that live a block away?

I'm not sure why you or anyone would think that I would not make an informed decision. I am aware of the the other expenses associated with living in an RV and traveling. The video I posted is an example of how luxurious RV's can be and that one can, if they chose, live in style. I would think that it would be obvious that if you could afford to shell out upwards of 1/2 to a full million dollars for an RV, the others expenses would not be any difficulty.

And there’s this:

I'd do it for sure.

Maybe but it is quite common.

Yes, I'm sure it is.

And there’s this:

I'd do it for sure.

Eh, they buy an expensive toy. Whether they use it or not is up to them.

And there’s this:

I'd do it for sure.

First off depends on what state you live in. Most states you need nothing more then a standard drivers license. In Texas you do need a special license but it is still not a CDL.

There are class a motor homes that can run three million. In the case of that particular Newmare you are possibly looking at a million or close to it. Keep in mind that an oil change on a class a will run you a hundred or more. Cheap tires will run you $600.00 a piece.

There are more expenses involved then just buying the RV. Places to park, maintaining, replacing, fuel costs, taxes and license all contribute to cost. Keep in mind if you are retired you have less income then you did when working. Keep in mind also that they are not meant to be lived in in temperature extremes. For most that means moving South and North as seasons allow.

As Winterborn stated there are used that can be had for cheaper then new. Gipper is also correct that they depreciate very quickly. They are not like a house that can increase in value.

Basicly I am just saying that if you are interested in living full time in an RV make an informed decision. What may sound like a great idea may not be a fit for you. The life stile does not fit everyone.

If you do want to make the leap then look at whatever you want to buy. I mean really look. Do not be enticed by glamor. Look at the construction. Look at how you would live in it. Is the shower tall enough? Can you comfortably use the toilet? Imagine yourself being inside for a day or two due to rain. Can you use the kitchen well?
Next consider that for some what they think they want later on changes, so the first RV you buy might not be the one that you really want.
Consider also what you will do when you are forced off the road. It happens to everyone. You get too old to comfortably drive, medical problems, the death of a spouse. What ever the reason, you need to have a plan in place. Will you park the RV and live in it in one spot? Will you sell the RV and buy a house?

For me and mine it is a great life and I would not change it for anything. For others it seems crazy and a foreign concept. Some think it is what they want, they try it for a year or two then realize that it is not something they like.
We travel to an area then we see what is in the area. We do not rush, we are retired after all. We spent a month in and around Flagstaff Az. A few years ago. We spent two weeks in Brice Canyon. We some times stop for what we think will just be overnight but after talking with those in the campground we may stay longer to see sites we did not know about.
We have meet people from all walks of life. We usually talk with a large portion of those in the RV park and at least say hello. How many can say that they know or even talk to those that live a block away?

I'm not sure why you or anyone would think that I would not make an informed decision. I am aware of the the other expenses associated with living in an RV and traveling. The video I posted is an example of how luxurious RV's can be and that one can, if they chose, live in style. I would think that it would be obvious that if you could afford to shell out upwards of 1/2 to a full million dollars for an RV, the others expenses would not be any difficulty.

The other expenses probably would not be a problem.

I just don't see spending $500k to $1 million, when I can enjoy life on the road just as well for far less. The highest priced RV we have looked at is less than $200k. It is a Class C. Plenty of room and luxury. As far as "style", I guess it depends on whether that is for you or so others will see.

And there’s this:

I'd do it for sure.

Sorry if I upset you in supplying a little information. I have seen a $750,000.00 coach that if you were over 5.5 feet using the toilet your knees would have hit the wall, six foot or over and you could never have sat down.

And there’s this:

I'd do it for sure.

Agreed. The great thing is many people who can’t afford an expensive RV new, can afford to buy it used. So many RVs are so lightly used, they make for great bargains. So, I am glad some new buyers infrequently use their RVs and then sell them.

And there’s this:

I'd do it for sure.

Doesn't change the fact that it makes them fools.

And there’s this:

I'd do it for sure.

Sorry if I upset you in supplying a little information. I have seen a $750,000.00 coach that if you were over 5.5 feet using the toilet your knees would have hit the wall, six foot or over and you could never have sat down.

I'm not upset. I posted a video as an example of what is out there in terms of RV'ing, not having made a statement that this was the only way in which you could comfortably RV, not even making a statement on its affordability or if it was the right type of investment.

I just find it odd that the assumption is that I would go into this without being informed.

I'd do it for sure.

Ok. I don't judge someone for what they do unless it screws up someone's life.

They may use the RV once or twice a year and are happy with their investment.

What would you call someone who spend $1 million on an RV when an RV costing $250k would serve them just as well?

I'd do it for sure.

Perhaps. But people are still allowed to make mistakes. I think those spending half a million or more on a house that has more rooms then they use as foolish but I do not tell them how crazy I think it is. To each their own.

Perhaps. But people are still allowed to make mistakes. I think those spending half a million or more on a house that has more rooms then they use as foolish but I do not tell them how crazy I think it is. To each their own.
If they ask, I'll tell them exactly how foolish they are.

I actually looked into purchasing an RV and paying for it through rentals to vacationers. There are even dealers out there that will allow you do do this. You simply set aside those dates that you don't want the RV rented so that it is available to you when you want to use it. The problem with that is that the wear and tear of renting is significant compared to just ownership, but you still basically get an RV for the cost of a down payment.

There are other ways you can tailor the rental agreements so that the RV is rented only the necessary number of times to make that years payments. This ups the price range of RV's you can look into for yourself. You'd have to be sure to rent it enough times to pay it off inside of 3 to 5 years in order to make it work, however.

Ok. I don't judge someone for what they do unless it screws up someone's life.

They may use the RV once or twice a year and are happy with their investment.

What would you call someone who spend $1 million on an RV when an RV costing $250k would serve them just as well?
Again, I'd call them foolish unless they managed to get a good bang for their buck.

Forum List

Back