A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by longknife, Nov 16, 2018.

1. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,936
    [​IMG]

Is it because they want to, they lost their other home to repo, or they can’t afford anything else?

A million Americans live full-time in RVs, according to the RV Industry Association. Some have to do it because they can’t afford other options, but many do it by choice. Last year was a record for RV sales, according to the data firm Statistical Surveys. More than 10.5 million households own at least one RV, a jump from 2005 when 7.5 million households had RVs, according to RVIA.

And there’s this:

A 30 year mortgage is essentially a suffocating lifetime financial commitment for many people, and so a lot of Americans are choosing to embrace the RV lifestyle in order to escape those financial chains. One family that the Washington Post recently interviewed says that they are “redefining what the American Dream means”…

We’re a family of four redefining what the American Dream means. It’s happiness, not a four-bedroom house with a two-car garage,” said Robert Meinhofer, who is 45.

The Meinhofers and a dozen others who spoke with The Washington Post about this modern nomadic lifestyle said living in 200 to 400 square feet has improved their marriages and made them happier, even if they’re earning less. There’s no official term for this lifestyle, but most refer to themselves as “full-time RVers,” “digital nomads” or “workampers.”

I don’t see how a family of four could possibly live in an RV, no matter how big it is.

More of this @ A Million Americans Are Living In Their RVs As The American Dream Continues To Be "Redefined"

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Maxdeath

Maxdeath Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,384
    We sold our house and most of our possessions. We moved into an rv and spend time traveling around the U.S. When I was working I saw portions of the country but we only spent a few days as I only had so long off.

Now we can go spend a week at a national park, or a month in Houston. We travel the northern states during the summer months and the south in winter. Alaska is great during July and August.

I don't mind not having to mow the yard, rake leaves or shovel snow. It takes a little getting used to living in a smaller space but then when you are in places like national parks it is easy to spend more time outside then inside.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  3. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,595
    I've lived in an RV when I was on the road. When we retire we plan to live in one full-time.

Great way to live, explore, and enjoy life. I'm actually surprised the number isn't higher. But I would imagine they don't count anyone who owns a regular home.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. Maxdeath

Maxdeath Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,384
    I know a young lady (35 or so) lives in a very small rv, works odd jobs.
    Know a number of retired that have done the same as we do.
    Know others that live in a house in summer then use one to move south.
    Know a family of seven lived and traveled for three years just so the children could see the country.
    There are those that have traveled for many years then just found an RV park that they liked and are now stationary until they die.

There are RV parks that have pools, exercise equipment, tennis courts.
    There is one that has an eight hole golf course, woodworking shop, lapidary shop, stained glass shop and others. All for the use of those that stay there.
    Some places have bingo nights, horse shoe competitions, pot lucks, banquets on holidays, live entertainment.

You might be parked next to a mechanic or a mechanical engineer. You meet people from all walks of life.

The article does not take into account those that vacation in the RV. The whole point is that there may be those that are on hard times in an RV. But there are those that chose it for a reason.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,703
    Does this include people living in houseboats (of various types)?

England has a network of small canals, and living in canal boats is a Thing.

FEMA trailer anyone?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,528
    We full time in a luxury motorhome. We love it. We didn’t have to. We wanted to.

This is my home on wheels.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,595
    I didn't mean that they should take into account those who live in one for a vacation. But many people, like me, lived in one while working away from home. For many years I was only home 6 or 8 days a month, plus holidays. I was in my travel trailer the rest of the time. If someone has a regular home, but they are only in it 2 months out of 12, aren't they pretty much living in an RV full time?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,728
    I was a full-timer for 10 years. It's a choice for some, but a necessity for others. I've known others who lived in an RV full time until they found a place they wanted to spend the rest of their days. It's a great way to travel and see what's out there. With the money you save on rent/mortgage payments, you can usually afford a nice down payment on a home.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. MaryL

MaryL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,919
    True. But many more poor dispossessed Americans are living on the streets. Not by choice but by necessity. But we give sanctuary to illegal aliens.American poor live in tents on streets or forgotten parts of our cities. I don't think they are given so much high sentiment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,728
    Agreed. Lots of people can't even afford an RV. One of the reasons I am so against welcoming all the illegal invaders into this country is the fact that we really, really, really, need to take care of our own first. Living in tents in Anchorage in the winter sucks. I did it when I was in the Army, but then, that was a temporary assignment.
    We need to address AMERICANS first, before we allow these welfare-seeking moochers into our country.