A Plant So Hot Its Juices Destroy Nerve Endings

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
euphorbia-484930414.jpg

Hotter by far than the hottest Carolina Reaper, the world’s hottest pepper.

So, what's the big deal about it?

But while that toxicity will lay up any mammal dumb enough to chew on the resin spurge, resiniferatoxin has also emerged as a promising painkiller. Inject RTX, as it’s known, into an aching joint, and it’ll actually destroy the nerve endings that signal pain. Which means medicine could soon get a new tool to help free us from the grasp of opioids.

Here’s the part that would thrill me endlessly:

So if you wanted to treat knee pain, you could directly inject RTX into the knee tissue. You’d anesthetize the patient first, of course, since the resulting pain would be intense. But after a few hours, that pain wears off, and you end up with a knee that’s desensitized to pain.

The only problem for me is that it apparently would do nothing to repair the cartilage loss that’s causing me so much pain.

Much more about this @ This Chemical Is So Hot It Destroys Nerve Fibers—in a Good Way

euphorbia-484930414.jpg

But while that toxicity will lay up any mammal dumb enough to chew on the resin spurge, resiniferatoxin has also emerged as a promising painkiller. Inject RTX, as it’s known, into an aching joint, and it’ll actually destroy the nerve endings that signal pain. Which means medicine could soon get a new tool to help free us from the grasp of opioids.

So if you wanted to treat knee pain, you could directly inject RTX into the knee tissue. You’d anesthetize the patient first, of course, since the resulting pain would be intense. But after a few hours, that pain wears off, and you end up with a knee that’s desensitized to pain.

The only problem for me is that it apparently would do nothing to repair the cartilage loss that’s causing me so much pain.

Much more about this @ This Chemical Is So Hot It Destroys Nerve Fibers—in a Good Way
/----/ And without pain how would you know if you're causing more harm to that joint. You could end up crippled.

euphorbia-484930414.jpg

Could you rub chicken wings on your knee?

Forum List

Back