A Disastrous Year For The Main Stream Media

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
004.png

Here’s what the WNU editor has to say:

Media is losing its audience. There are now so many alternatives to getting the news that the old ways of reading a newspaper or watching the news on TV just no longer hold. Twenty-five years ago I would easily go through six major news papers a day and watch the evening news every night. Today .... I get all of my news from the web, and from sources that I trust.

The old “standards” are deep in debt, laying off all sorts of staff. Ratings are in the tank.

Legacy magazine brands that were once considered must-reads, like Sports Illustrated, struggled to find suitors. Magazine titans like Conde Nast are expected to miss their revenue numbers given a bleak advertising forecast.

Univision, one of the largest media companies that serves America's fastest-growing population, is looking for a buyer to help it crawl out of a massive debt hole, driven by a private equity investment gone bad.

The two biggest local newspaper holding groups — New Media (GateHouse and Gannett) and McClatchy, which collectively house over 700 newspapers — had a combined market cap value as of Thursday of less than $800 million. By comparison, Apple, which this year launched its own news product, is worth more than $1.2 trillion.

Meanwhile, several other papers serving major markets closed, like the 150-year-old Vindicator in Youngstown, Ohio and the beloved OC Weekly in California.

And people now routinely surf the web to find news sources unheard of just s few years ago.

More @ A year of media upheaval

Media is losing its audience. There are now so many alternatives to getting the news that the old ways of reading a newspaper or watching the news on TV just no longer hold. Twenty-five years ago I would easily go through six major news papers a day and watch the evening news every night. Today .... I get all of my news from the web, and from sources that I trust.

The old “standards” are deep in debt, laying off all sorts of staff. Ratings are in the tank.

Why do you think a world where a nut like Alex Jones has just as much credibility as the New York Times is a good thing?

The thing about the "Mainstream Media" is that they have more of an obligation to get it right because libel suits are expensive.

A clown like Jones doesn't have anything to sue him for..

The problem with "Sources you Trust", it usually means "Sources that validate your worldview".

I make a point of reading both right wing and left wing news sources. I did this 10 years ago when I was more conservative (before I realized I didn't make enough money to vote Republican and neither do you.)

Why do you think a world where a nut like Alex Jones has just as much credibility as the New York Times is a good thing?

The thing about the "Mainstream Media" is that they have more of an obligation to get it right because libel suits are expensive.

A clown like Jones doesn't have anything to sue him for..

The problem with "Sources you Trust", it usually means "Sources that validate your worldview".

I make a point of reading both right wing and left wing news sources. I did this 10 years ago when I was more conservative (before I realized I didn't make enough money to vote Republican and neither do you.)

If the New York Times didn't want to be associated with Alex Jones, then perhaps it should not have behaved in a similar fashion to Mr. Jones. In Alex Jones's defense, he is nuts. The New York Times does not have that excuse.

Forum List

Back