A Creation Story for Materialists

Kathianne said:
No, I don't see "why" they "must."

Okay.

Let's say you fire 100 photons at the screen through 2 slits. For the first 50 you cover the first slit, and for the second 50, you cover the second slit (or you can randomly cover each slit if you want). You will get a pattern on the screen that corresponds to the addition of two one-slit patterns.

Now, if you fire 100 photons through the 2 slits, leaving both of them open. Intuition tells you that since each photon should travel through one of the slits, you will get the same pattern as above, but you do not. The resulting interference pattern corresponds to two slits being open, (this is the one in the picture). This means that each photon somehow interacts with BOTH slits at the same time.

Max Power said:
Okay.

Let's say you fire 100 photons at the screen through 2 slits. For the first 50 you cover the first slit, and for the second 50, you cover the second slit (or you can randomly cover each slit if you want). You will get a pattern on the screen that corresponds to the addition of two one-slit patterns.

Now, if you fire 100 photons through the 2 slits, leaving both of them open. Intuition tells you that since each photon should travel through one of the slits, you will get the same pattern as above, but you do not. The resulting interference pattern corresponds to two slits being open, (this is the one in the picture). This means that each photon somehow interacts with BOTH slits at the same time.

I do not buy into 'intuition.' Max, you are adrift. Paddleing heroically, but adrift.

Kathianne said:
I do not buy into 'intuition.' Max, you are adrift. Paddleing heroically, but adrift.

So what do you not understand?

Max Power said:
So what do you not understand?
Any of what you have posted. None of it makes sense in relation to what is observable.

Kathianne said:
Any of what you have posted. None of it makes sense in relation to what is observable.
Bottom line:
It is possible for a particle to occupy multiple states at once.
This has been experimentally verified.

Max Power said:
Bottom line:
It is possible for a particle to occupy multiple states at once.
This has been experimentally verified.

science is wrong .... A can not be B at the same time ....

manu1959 said:

Science has been wrong quite often over the centuries---but we are to trust it to provide us with the answers for everything?--I'll wait for the finished project and decide then.

dilloduck said:
Science has been wrong quite often over the centuries---but we are to trust it to provide us with the answers for everything?--I'll wait for the finished project and decide then.

agreed....

dilloduck said:

Science is always a work in progress. Is that a good reason to ignore it, denigrate it and choose superstition instead?

Nuc said:
Science is always a work in progress. Is that a good reason to ignore it, denigrate it and choose superstition instead?

no--I love science. It's interesting and had provided us with a lot of cool stuff. It just hasn't any answers to certain questions yet it brazenly attacks religious philosophy as if it were threatened by it. Religions have done this to science in the past too. Wierd huh?

manu1959 said:

On the macroscpic level, this may be the case. On the quantum level, however, Newtonian physicis and Aristotelian logic breal down.

dilloduck said:
no--I love science. It's interesting and had provided us with a lot of cool stuff. It just hasn't any answers to certain questions yet it brazenly attacks religious philosophy as if it were threatened by it. Religions have done this to science in the past too. Wierd huh?

Simply because science has gaps in knowledge is not a valid reason to try to insert a <i>deus ex machina</i> into the gaps. Which is precisely what the advocates of "creation science" and "intelligent design" are engaged in.

Bullypulpit said:
Simply because science has gaps in knowledge is not a valid reason to try to insert a <i>deus ex machina</i> into the gaps. Which is precisely what the advocates of "creation science" and "intelligent design" are engaged in.

Simply because God-based beliefs can't be scientifically proved, is not a valid reason to totally exclude it from curriculum or denigrate it, which is precisely what the advocates of "scienctific theory only" are engaged in.

Forum List

Back