94 people accused of 251 million in medicare fraud, 34 arrested in raids

It's a shame such standards are not applied to our own government.

Just sayin'.

Yes, anti-fraud standards across the board should have begun a long time ago. Perhaps we would have been able to sweep up messes Republicans also made a lot sooner.

Just another reason to end these programs. It's really shitty that people do this and what sucks more is I'd bet there are thousands more. I would like to add, and this is not to trash Obama but, finding these people and the claim of 250million is great but it's like a drop in the bucket being they want to save like 90billion to help pay for Obamacare. I do mean it in a nice way, it's great to catch these guys but I'd be willing to bet that most of them were the "bigger fish" that they could find and as smaller claims of fraud are out there in the thousands it would be near impossible to catch even most of them. I'd also like to see what the cost was to catch these people was, Government has a way of spending 100million to catch people that cause 50million in crimes. In this case maybe they saved more than it cost to stop them but as I said before I doubt they will find 250million to pin on 100 people, meaning a lot more money to follow up on 200 people, 700 people or 5,000 people.

Ending the program slowly would seem like the best option IMO.

Now to attack Obama being people want to give him credit… I’d bet you will find well over a billion (easy) wasted on his stimulus given out to fraud. I’d guess if we had a trail of the money we could find 10’s of billion of the stimulus wasted to fraud. Another program that should have never started, bailouts/stimulus…

Last edited:
Just another reason to end these programs. It's really shitty that people do this and what sucks more is I'd bet there are thousands more. I would like to add, and this is not to trash Obama but, finding these people and the claim of 250million is great but it's like a drop in the bucket being they want to save like 90billion to help pay for Obamacare. I do mean it in a nice way, it's great to catch these guys but I'd be willing to bet that most of them were the "bigger fish" that they could find and as smaller claims of fraud are out there in the thousands it would be near impossible to catch even most of them. I'd also like to see what the cost was to catch these people was, Government has a way of spending 100million to catch people that cause 50million in crimes. In this case maybe they saved more than it cost to stop them but as I said before I doubt they will find 250million to pin on 100 people, meaning a lot more money to follow up on 200 people, 700 people or 5,000 people.

Now to attack Obama being people want to give him credit… I’d bet you will find well over a billion (easy) wasted on his stimulus given out to fraud. I’d guess if we had a trail of the money we could find 10’s of billion of the stimulus wasted to fraud. Another program that should have never started, bailouts/stimulus…
Absolutely! End the program because someone got caught scamming the system! Fuck the old! Fuck 'em and let them die on their own dime.

:cuckoo:

Absolutely! End the program because someone got caught scamming the system! Fuck the old! Fuck 'em and let them die on their own dime.

I assume the next genius idea from Suds would be to stop having hospitals because people die in them anyway.

It seems like trying to get everything computerized has helped in detecting these frauds. Now if they can just collect the stolen funds!
Federal authorities launched a strike force in Miami in 2007 to target the problem. The program has since expanded to seven cities and is responsible for more than 720 indictments that collectively have billed the Medicare program for more than $1.6 billion.

Miami-Dade County received about $520 million from Medicare in home health care payments intended for the sickest patients in 2008, which is more than the rest of the country combined, according to a federal report. Only 2 percent of the patients live here.

It used to take 90 days before the government detected a scam. By then, the crooks were long gone, sometimes with millions of dollars. Now authorities get billing data as it's submitted, allowing them to catch suspects in real time, "as opposed to the typical pay and chase model we've had for years," said Gerald Roy, assistant inspector general for investigations

I assume the next genius idea from Suds would be to stop having hospitals because people die in them anyway.

which is just as fucking stupid as mr. stupid stopping oil drilling.. innit? :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo: glad you see it now.

I have to agree with Ravi, ending the program so that the elderly suffer is not the way to go about cleaning this up.

Throw these people in jail and go after the next bunch. Pretty soon people are going to get the idea that this kind of crime does not pay.

Immie

Wow, we have $90 billion worth of Medicare fraud annually, year after year. Now they busted a bunch of democrats scamming the system who did not pay the proper kickbacks to their elected officials. These people do not have the millions they took & will never pay back the money they stole. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER $89.75 BILLION??? The best thing to do is not have a government system that lets corrupt people steal money in the first place.

obie wan stole 960 billion from medicare!

Wow, we have $90 billion worth of Medicare fraud annually, year after year. Now they busted a bunch of democrats scamming the system for a paltry $250 million who did not pay the proper kickbacks to their elected officials. These people do not have the millions they took & will never pay back the money they stole. This administration will tout this as a huge victory & say it paid for their new criminal organized health-care law. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER $89.75 BILLION??? The best thing to do is not have a government system that lets corrupt people steal money in the first place.

Forum List

Back