9-year-old died by suicide after he was bullied

Okay apparently they didn't "call him gay"--he came out as gay. To a class of FOURTH GRADERS.
Got a source for that?

The link to the story in the OP said that, according to his mother, he came out as gay to her, not to a class of fourth graders.

Uh, yeah, it's in the second paragraph of the OP link.
You are incorrect. The article states that the victim's mother claimed that her son had 'come out as gay' to her, not a fourth grade class.

Perhaps you should check up on your reading comprehension skills. That's not too much to ask of a teacher, is it?

The article does not say that Jamel had 'come out as gay' to a fourth grade class in the second paragraph or anywhere else in the article. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be a grammar Nazi. I just think that whether or not he came out of the closet in front of his classmates is germain to the discussion. Sometimes details matter, especially when you have a dead child and an LWNJ in the same room.

One more time with feeling: "reading comprehension" means you clearly comprehend the text even if the text doesn't say the EXACT WORDS you need it to say, see. This is what we teach children: to make inferences and connections as they are deciphering text. So even if the text does not say literally "come out as gay", but essentially says that in a different way, the reader will understand.

Do YOU understand, now? If so, thank a teacher.
The text does literally say that according to his mother the kid had come out as gay, to her.

However where you are incorrect is when you claim that is says the kid came out as gay to a 4th grade class.

In another post, I've already informed you that you were incorrect, yet you chose to double down on stupid rather than admit that you were wrong.

So you do have a reading comprehension problem. Confirmed then.

Got a source for that?

The link to the story in the OP said that, according to his mother, he came out as gay to her, not to a class of fourth graders.

You are incorrect. The article states that the victim's mother claimed that her son had 'come out as gay' to her, not a fourth grade class.

Perhaps you should check up on your reading comprehension skills. That's not too much to ask of a teacher, is it?

The article does not say that Jamel had 'come out as gay' to a fourth grade class in the second paragraph or anywhere else in the article. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be a grammar Nazi. I just think that whether or not he came out of the closet in front of his classmates is germain to the discussion. Sometimes details matter, especially when you have a dead child and an LWNJ in the same room.

One more time with feeling: "reading comprehension" means you clearly comprehend the text even if the text doesn't say the EXACT WORDS you need it to say, see. This is what we teach children: to make inferences and connections as they are deciphering text. So even if the text does not say literally "come out as gay", but essentially says that in a different way, the reader will understand.

The text does literally say that according to his mother the kid had come out as gay, to her.

However where you are incorrect is when you claim that is says the kid came out as gay to a 4th grade class.

In another post, I've already informed you that you were incorrect, yet you chose to double down on stupid rather than admit that you were wrong.

Actually it is you who has the reading comprehension problem.

You read more into the article than was actually there.

It's a common mistake among elementary school kids.

You're one of those who can never be wrong, right?

And this from People Magazine. It's very sad that some people hated their teachers so much they have to take cheap potshots at any teachers on the Internets. However, that is not my problem. Go be happy today, I know I'm going to be, quelling ignorance in the world!

A 9-year-old Colorado boy who died by suicide last week had been bullied at school after announcing over the summer that he was gay and expressing his desire to share the news with his classmates, his mother said.

“I could just imagine what they said to him,” mom Leia Pierce said of her son, Jamel Myles, who died four days after the start of classes at Joe Shoemaker School in Denver, according to local TV station KDVR. “My son told my oldest daughter the kids at school told him to kill himself.”

“I’m just sad he didn’t come to me,” she told the outlet.

Jamel died at a hospital after paramedics responded to a “medical incident” at the family’s home on Thursday, Denver police said in a statement to PEOPLE.

Colorado Mom Says 9-Year-Old Son Who Came Out as Gay Died by Suicide After School Bullying

Obama BULLIES VIOLENT CHILDREN.jpg

The late 'Childhood Trauma' (#ACEs) victim Tupac Shakur's T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E Child Abuse, Emotional Neglect, Abandonment & Maltreatment *AWARENESS-PREVENTION* concept applies to American and foreign born citizens of ALL backgrounds:

T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E. - "The HATE U Give Little Infants Fvvks *EVERYONE"* ~Tupac Shakur

“We need more people who care; you know what I’m saying? We need more women, mothers, fathers, we need more of that…” ~Tupac Shakur, American urban story-TRUTH-teller

Peace.

And this from People Magazine. It's very sad that some people hated their teachers so much they have to take cheap potshots at any teachers on the Internets. However, that is not my problem. Go be happy today, I know I'm going to be, quelling ignorance in the world!

A 9-year-old Colorado boy who died by suicide last week had been bullied at school after announcing over the summer that he was gay and expressing his desire to share the news with his classmates, his mother said.

“I could just imagine what they said to him,” mom Leia Pierce said of her son, Jamel Myles, who died four days after the start of classes at Joe Shoemaker School in Denver, according to local TV station KDVR. “My son told my oldest daughter the kids at school told him to kill himself.”

“I’m just sad he didn’t come to me,” she told the outlet.

Jamel died at a hospital after paramedics responded to a “medical incident” at the family’s home on Thursday, Denver police said in a statement to PEOPLE.

Colorado Mom Says 9-Year-Old Son Who Came Out as Gay Died by Suicide After School Bullying
Poor kid :(

So sad. I saw his mom interviewed about this. Bullying must stop.

9-year-old died by suicide after he was bullied, mom says - CNN

(CNN)A 9-year-old boy in Colorado took his life days after starting the fourth grade last week. He had recently come out as gay to his mother, who believes that bullying was a factor in his death, she told HLN's Mike Galanos on Tuesday.

"The same kids who picked on him last year were even meaner to him once he came out and said he was gay," said Leia Pierce, Jamel Myles' mother. "They hurt my baby."
Denver Police said that Jamel's death appears to be a suicide.
<more>

Awful...poor, little one.

So sad. I saw his mom interviewed about this. Bullying must stop.

9-year-old died by suicide after he was bullied, mom says - CNN

(CNN)A 9-year-old boy in Colorado took his life days after starting the fourth grade last week. He had recently come out as gay to his mother, who believes that bullying was a factor in his death, she told HLN's Mike Galanos on Tuesday.

"The same kids who picked on him last year were even meaner to him once he came out and said he was gay," said Leia Pierce, Jamel Myles' mother. "They hurt my baby."
Denver Police said that Jamel's death appears to be a suicide.
<more>

Awful...poor, little one.
Suicide the most cowardly thing anyone can do

When I was around 10 years old we moved into a new neighborhood. There was this kid who was a year old and a head taller than me, who keep picking on me and bullying me. One day he was riding his bicycle past me while swinging a long stick trying to hit me. So I went into my house sobbing to my Dad about the mean kid. My father told me to go back outside and kick the kids ass if he bothered me again, or else he was going whip my butt with his belt.

I was far more in fear of my father than the bully. So I waited on the curb for the kid from hell to return, while my father stood watching me at the window.

Sure enough here came the bully on his bike heading right for me swing the stick. Just as soon as he got near, I leaped on him, knock him off his bike, and began punching him until he started crying and ran away.

That was the day I learned how to deal with a bully, and who I was as a person. The kid and I later became best friends all thru school.

Unfortunately, today, the parents would have called the police, and their precious little Johnny would grow up to be a limp wristed wimp. .... :cool:

I know someone who tried that. The bully's father showed up at his house. In full uniform. He was a SWAT officer.

They moved in less than a month.

When I grew up every kid was bullied by somebody, and no one ever committed suicide.

It was just a part of life, and taught you about yourself and how to deal with other people. .... :cool:

The best way to deal with a bully is to beat the living hell out of one. In school I saw that happen, everyday this guy would pick on this real quiet kid, one day something snapped with the quiet kid and he beat the snot out of the bully, it was ugly I never saw the bully go after anyone else for the duration of school.

My father called those things life lessons
That is a quaint clichéd approach. The typical bully goes after the weakest, most vulnerable ones, and there is nothing physically the bullied can do about it. If you have a 150 pound 12 year old who is with the popular crowd, plays sports, etc., and he takes it upon himself to start bullying the 75 pound 10 year old, the bullied kid cannot just 'beat the living hell out of the bully'. He could ball up his little hand and throw the biggest Hail Mary punch he can muster, and get nothing out of it but a pounding.

The bully in my age group growing up was a prototype: big corn-fed asshole. Hit puberty early, was tall, muscular, aggressive, and had functional strength. He would go after the kids a couple of years younger and 50 pounds lighter. They weren't going to give him his due, even if they had a baseball bat in their hands.

A 12-year-old can take down an NFL lineman with the proper tool and tactic. Offhand, get some fishing line-the good monofilament stuff, at least 100lb. If you can't fine that, use 40 or 50lb line, but doubled. Cut a piece about 26-30" long, slide some thin rubber hose over the ends, then tie a loop in each end. Practice on a post: hold the loops in your hands, arms crossed, holding each loop near the opposite elbow. Next time you see the bully, slip up behind him, whip the loop over his head, and PULL! Do not let go until he shits his pants.

Yes, and for every story of a bully getting his at the hands of the bullied, there are 100 cases where the bullied has 100% no chance to win any sort of physical altercation.

As learned, when young, you do not need to “win” a fight to stop a bully from picking on you. You just need to put up enough of a fight that the bully knows he's been in a fight. Bullies are cowards to their core, and will choose the easiest victims. Even if you get the crap beat out of you once, hurt the bully at all, and next time, he'll pick on someone else that he doesn't think will fight back.

OK...bully is 5'10", 190lbs, sadistic, psychotic, and thinks nothing of carrying a blackjack or a set of knucks. Victim is 4'10" and 100lbs, unarmed. Explain in detail how that is supposed to work.

When I grew up every kid was bullied by somebody, and no one ever committed suicide.

It was just a part of life, and taught you about yourself and how to deal with other people. .... :cool:

Indeed. 100% of kids were 'bullied' when I was in school; the older kids considered it their duty. lol
Put enough bullies in the morgue and the rest will smarten up.

Yes, and for every story of a bully getting his at the hands of the bullied, there are 100 cases where the bullied has 100% no chance to win any sort of physical altercation.

As learned, when young, you do not need to “win” a fight to stop a bully from picking on you. You just need to put up enough of a fight that the bully knows he's been in a fight. Bullies are cowards to their core, and will choose the easiest victims. Even if you get the crap beat out of you once, hurt the bully at all, and next time, he'll pick on someone else that he doesn't think will fight back.

OK...bully is 5'10", 190lbs, sadistic, psychotic, and thinks nothing of carrying a blackjack or a set of knucks. Victim is 4'10" and 100lbs, unarmed. Explain in detail how that is supposed to work.

I don't know that 'bullies' actually do most of the 'bullying'; as he said, if you fight back, that's usually enough to get them off one's back; they're just baiting people to see if they got any balls, for the most part, just schoolyard stuff.

The hardcore bullies were different, but they weren't popular and yes, some were pretty tough and crazy, but they never stayed in school long, unless they could play football, which was practically a pro sport by high school here in Texas. Those that weren't all that tough usually got their asses kicked by others their own size and age. It wasn't considered 'cool' in my day to pick on those smaller than yourself or chronically sick and weakened, but that may be different these days, I don't know, since my kids area ll nearing 30 and my grandkids go to school in Europe or private IB schools here.

Last edited:

Indeed. 100% of kids were 'bullied' when I was in school; the older kids considered it their duty. lol
Put enough bullies in the morgue and the rest will smarten up.

Don't know if putting uppity 9 year olds in early graves is a solution. lol

Messed up... poor parenting all the way around. Still a tragedy though.

Some kids are just so hyper-sensitized to any criticism whatsoever these days they become hysterical and just few snotty comments are turned into MASSIVE UNENDING HARASSMENT AND OPPRESSION N STUFF in their heads and they grossly over-react; anybody who has had teenage daughters especially have experience with this at least a couple of times in their adolescent and early teen years. Kids need toughening up, not more Snowflake Solutions. Being harassed at school is part of the process of learning and developing coping skills.

Forum List

Back