81% of Americans under 45 would fail basic ‘US citizenship test’

You have to change society first! You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit!

Yes. For starters, stop mixing all levels of abilities. Academics have their own classes. Those not academically inclined go to vocational classes. Those who have special needs go to special needs classes. Those who are unmotivated and cause a disturbance go to the disturbed school. ESL students go to ESL classes until their English becomes proficient enough to attend the above mentioned regular classes.

Just for starters. This is how it was done when I was in school. At that time, America was ranked #1 in the world.

Mixing levels of abilities? Then why are you demanding such high performance out of kids? That ranking is not going to improve is some kids only take Math of Dummies instead of the Algebra II currently required in most states. Also, last time I checked, vocational classes involved some fairly complicated math such as geometry and algebra.

Who are you going to get to teach these juvenile delinquents in training? Teachers don't get paid enough already and now you want them to put up with classes comprised of derelicts?

If you want ESL students taken care of, tell that to Congress who thinks they should be fluent in English in only two years when all research says it takes a good 7 years. If we do as you propose, the students will not learn any other subjects until they master English? Great plan!

Why don't you run for your local school board with that plan and see how far you get? You might get one vote if you vote for yourself. I doubt your family and friends are that dumb.
Ah, the old teachers don’t get paid enough bullshit.

That’s why 300 qualified applicants apply for one teachers job.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/why-americas-teacher-shortage-is-going-to-get-worse/

America's new education crisis: A teacher shortage

Many US States Struggle with Teacher Shortages

Considering the responsibilities, teachers should be paid as professionals, not fry flippers. They should at least have Masters degrees in their chosen subjects.

Their work should also be judged at a professional level, by the product they produce. If they don't produce, out on their ass they go immediately following review.
The product they produce should be based on the product they are given.....not some arbitrary “one size fits all” standard

If you take an F student and turn him into a C student, you have done a great job

A better job than a teacher who gets Yuppie spawn and gets them an A

You have to change society first! You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit!

Yes. For starters, stop mixing all levels of abilities. Academics have their own classes. Those not academically inclined go to vocational classes. Those who have special needs go to special needs classes. Those who are unmotivated and cause a disturbance go to the disturbed school. ESL students go to ESL classes until their English becomes proficient enough to attend the above mentioned regular classes.

Just for starters. This is how it was done when I was in school. At that time, America was ranked #1 in the world.

Mixing levels of abilities? Then why are you demanding such high performance out of kids? That ranking is not going to improve is some kids only take Math of Dummies instead of the Algebra II currently required in most states. Also, last time I checked, vocational classes involved some fairly complicated math such as geometry and algebra.

Who are you going to get to teach these juvenile delinquents in training? Teachers don't get paid enough already and now you want them to put up with classes comprised of derelicts?

If you want ESL students taken care of, tell that to Congress who thinks they should be fluent in English in only two years when all research says it takes a good 7 years. If we do as you propose, the students will not learn any other subjects until they master English? Great plan!

Why don't you run for your local school board with that plan and see how far you get? You might get one vote if you vote for yourself. I doubt your family and friends are that dumb.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/why-americas-teacher-shortage-is-going-to-get-worse/

Considering the responsibilities, teachers should be paid as professionals, not fry flippers. They should at least have Masters degrees in their chosen subjects.

Their work should also be judged at a professional level, by the product they produce. If they don't produce, out on their ass they go immediately following review.

Why should I have a Master's degree in mathematics to teach math, when I never had an undergraduate degree in mathematics?

Who decides what is a professional level? More than likely they would choose someone like you who doesn't know Jack Schitt about the topic!

Define "produce."

Students either ready to enter college without remedial work, or prepared to enter the work force.

My state has a way to measure that called "College and Career Ready!" It is a struggle to get 60% because the students don't really give a shit about it as long as they graduate. If they take the ACT and make a sufficient score to get into college, they are college ready. If they take vocational classes and pass certifications, then they are career ready. It also takes up an exceptional amount to testing time, which I thought you education bashers opposed because each test is tailored to a specific career field.

Then, you have those who take all of the college prep classes and blow the ACT, and they don't have the classes needed to gain certifications for being career ready. That's what you have! They are neither college nor career ready and no way to gain either one.

Define "produce."

Students either ready to enter college without remedial work, or prepared to enter the work force.

My state has a way to measure that called "College and Career Ready!" It is a struggle to get 60% because the students don't really give a shit about it as long as they graduate.

When I was in school, 60% was failure.

So, they control you. You do not control them. Why don't you try not passing them if they don't perform to minimum standards?

Why should I have a Master's degree in mathematics to teach math, when I never had an undergraduate degree in mathematics?

Would you let the ground crew teach you to fly an aircraft?

Define "produce."

My state has a way to measure that called "College and Career Ready!" It is a struggle to get 60% because the students don't really give a shit about it as long as they graduate.

So, they control you. You do not control them. Why don't you try not passing them if they don't perform to minimum standards?

In this case, the are no minimum standards. Do you propose failing them for doing poorly on the ACT?

I and most teachers would have liked to keep their jobs when I was working. Administrators do not like pressure from their superintendents when students are actually held accountable by the teachers and earn failing grades.

Nope. Your example makes no sense. Would I let a ground crew member who was also a pilot teach me how to fly an aircraft? Absolutely!

Having a Master's degree just means that you are exceptionally overqualified to teach high school math because they are about as close as the Earth and the Moon.

What you are proposing is to have an astronaut teach me how to fly a Cessna.

Define "produce."

In this case, the are no minimum standards. Do you propose failing them for doing poorly on the ACT?

I and most teachers would have liked to keep their jobs when I was working. Administrators do not like pressure from their superintendents when students are actually held accountable by the teachers and earn failing grades.

Indeed, which is why widespread changes must be made. There must be minimum standards. and they must be set rather high.

Nope. Your example makes no sense. Would I let a ground crew member who was also a pilot teach me how to fly an aircraft? Absolutely!

That , of course, was not the question, and your avoidance of it is interesting.

Having a Master's degree just means that you are exceptionally overqualified to teach high school math because they are about as close as the Earth and the Moon.

Too funny. A BA these days is equivalent to a high school level education when I was there. Unless that's what you want teaching your kids, you go to the next step up the ladder.

That , of course, was not the question, and your avoidance of it is interesting.

Too funny. A BA these days is equivalent to a high school level education when I was there. Unless that's what you want teaching your kids, you go to the next step up the ladder.

Knowing more about a subject than you are teaching makes little sense. I can do differential calculus, but that doesn't make me a better teacher in algebra and geometry, now does it? I could could spend months teaching about the Civil War because I studied it intensively in school, but my standards might allow me about 3 days time. Doing that, all of my education is superfluous!

The ignorance you display regarding education in general is amazing!

Knowing more about a subject than you are teaching makes little sense.

Good Gawd Almighty! Unbelievable. That's an appallingly stupid statement.

"I'm sorry Dave, but this conversation no longer has any meaning. Goodbye."

Define "produce."

Indeed, which is why widespread changes must be made. There must be minimum standards. and they must be set rather high.

Then you must accept failure. You can't have it both ways.

I am sorry that your tiny little brain cannot accept the concept that I don't need a doctoral degree in nuclear physics to teach Earth-Space Science in middle school.

Why are you such a dumbass on this topic? Did a teacher run away with your wife or girlfriend?

Knowing more about a subject than you are teaching makes little sense. I can do differential calculus, but that doesn't make me a better teacher in algebra and geometry, now does it? I could could spend months teaching about the Civil War because I studied it intensively in school, but my standards might allow me about 3 days time. Doing that, all of my education is superfluous!

Your education is lacking because you can’t see the trees thru the forest. Public education is a major failure and the reason young adults are so clueless.

For example Los Angeles school district jumped from a 50% high school graduation rate to a 70% in one year. How’d they do that? They simply stopped giving the competency test to graduate. And still 30% could not graduate.

The running joke now is we can write in cursive as a secret code so millennials won’t read it.

Look at the Lefts Socialist Girl who’s running for office. She has the knowledge of an 8 year old in economics yet finished 2nd in her Harvard (Yale?) class majoring in economics.

At the same time I’ve talked to 8 year olds who were homeschooled and had adult discussions on topics like the meaning of life, social issues in the world, history, etc etc.

Education in America sucks.

I am sorry that your tiny little brain cannot accept the concept that I don't need a doctoral degree in nuclear physics to teach Earth-Space Science in middle school.

Why are you such a dumbass on this topic? Did a teacher run away with your wife or girlfriend?

My wife is a teacher. She spent a decade in the system. She finds your attitude as appalling as I do.

Your education is lacking because you can’t see the trees thru the forest. Public education is a major failure and the reason young adults are so clueless.

For example Los Angeles school district jumped from a 50% high school graduation rate to a 70% in one year. How’d they do that? They simply stopped giving the competency test to graduate. And still 30% could not graduate.

The running joke now is we can write in cursive as a secret code so millennials won’t read it.

Look at the Lefts Socialist Girl who’s running for office. She has the knowledge of an 8 year old in economics yet finished 2nd in her Harvard (Yale?) class majoring in economics.

At the same time I’ve talked to 8 year olds who were homeschooled and had adult discussions on topics like the meaning of life, social issues in the world, history, etc etc.

Then why do students from all over the world flock to our shores for education?

Immigrants come here for economic reasons, not our education system.

I personally know dozens of children in third world nations that run circles around American kids in our public education.

Many thousands come here every year for education.

If it’s free taxpayer education by a university riding on a name built by people long dead, yes.

If it’s free taxpayer education by a university riding on a name built by people long dead, yes.

All levels and types of education. Public, private, college, high school, middle school, elementary school, all sorts all kinds all over the United States people come here in droves seeking their educational goals.

Forum List

Back