75 years ago today: WWII begins

Thankfully America had a President that had foreseen the coming war and had begun to prepare the nation for war despite the constant road blocks and attempts to delay and stop him by isolationist and libertarians. FDR brilliantly began research and development of weapons and weapon systems under the noses of of the partisan politics of the day so that when war came the nation was able to swing into production of the weapons that would win the war and save millions of American lives.

Yes, his foresight is remembered by historians.

In a couple of minutes, there will be a large, solemn commemoration of the start of WWII in Danzig, Poland.

It will be carried live here:

PHOENIX Livestream

The President of Germany and the President of Poland (both Germany and Poland a Prime Minister and a President, respectively) - both gentlemen will lay wreaths at a memorial in Danzig and they will do it together.

As they should, never ever forget!

After the attack....the prosecution rests ....:asshole:

del, did u get out the wiki yet and do some reading? Come on. FDR, Charles Lindburgh? Not difficult things to read up on. Kinda a soap opera like story to get you into the isolationist movement history. Not to mention Frank's anti commie hint there. Type a paragraph, don't just call names. FDR was not infallable. You can do it. I hope.

FDR caught with no strategy....wha?

You lying dumb fuck. One of my uncles was working in a box factory in Oregon. After that attack on Poland some people visited their plant. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, the plant shut down for 4 days. And started up the fifth day making ammo boxes, and other types of boxes needed by the military. The plans and machine parts were already there and ready. And that same uncle, not so long after was at Kasserine Pass.

I find it so damned sad that people like you on the very far right have to constantly lie about history simply because it does not agree with your warped ideology.

They revise history with no knowledge thereof, and get angry when facts are posted, yes.

You lying dumb fuck. One of my uncles was working in a box factory in Oregon. After that attack on Poland some people visited their plant. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, the plant shut down for 4 days. And started up the fifth day making ammo boxes, and other types of boxes needed by the military. The plans and machine parts were already there and ready. And that same uncle, not so long after was at Kasserine Pass.

I find it so damned sad that people like you on the very far right have to constantly lie about history simply because it does not agree with your warped ideology.

They revise history with no knowledge thereof, and get angry when facts are posted, yes.

history lets not forget it...

On February 19th 1942 Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066. Under the terms of the Order, some 120,000 people of Japanese descent living in the US were removed from their homes and placed in internment camps. The US justified their action by claiming that there was a danger of those of Japanese descent spying for the Japanese. However more than two thirds of those interned were American citizens and half of them were children. None had ever shown disloyalty to the nation. In some cases family members were separated and put in different camps. During the entire war only ten people were convicted of spying for Japan and these were all Caucasian.

bedding9.jpg

Life in the camps was hard. Internees had only been allowed to bring with then a few possessions. In many cases they had been given just 48 hours to evacuate their homes. Consequently they were easy prey for fortune hunters who offered them far less than the market prices for the goods they could not take with them.

"It was really cruel and harsh. To pack and evacuate in forty-eight hours was an impossibility. Seeing mothers completely bewildered with children crying from want and peddlers taking advantage and offering prices next to robbery made me feel like murdering those responsible without the slightest compunction in my heart." Joseph Yoshisuke Kurihara speaking of the Terminal Island evacuation.

They were housed in barracks and had to use communal areas for washing, laundry and eating. It was an emotional time for all. "I remember the soldiers marching us to the Army tank and I looked at their rifles and I was just terrified because I could see this long knife at the end . . . I thought I was imagining it as an adult much later . . . I thought it couldn't have been bayonets because we were just little kids." from "Children of the Camps"

Some internees died from inadequate medical care and the high level of emotional stress they suffered. Those taken to camps in desert areas had to cope with extremes of temperature.

World War Two - Japanese Internment Camps in the USA HistoryOnTheNet

On February 19th 1942 Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066. Under the terms of the Order, some 120,000 people of Japanese descent living in the US were removed from their homes and placed in internment camps. The US justified their action by claiming that there was a danger of those of Japanese descent spying for the Japanese. However more than two thirds of those interned were American citizens and half of them were children. None had ever shown disloyalty to the nation. In some cases family members were separated and put in different camps. During the entire war only ten people were convicted of spying for Japan and these were all Caucasian.

bedding9.jpg

Life in the camps was hard. Internees had only been allowed to bring with then a few possessions. In many cases they had been given just 48 hours to evacuate their homes. Consequently they were easy prey for fortune hunters who offered them far less than the market prices for the goods they could not take with them.

"It was really cruel and harsh. To pack and evacuate in forty-eight hours was an impossibility. Seeing mothers completely bewildered with children crying from want and peddlers taking advantage and offering prices next to robbery made me feel like murdering those responsible without the slightest compunction in my heart." Joseph Yoshisuke Kurihara speaking of the Terminal Island evacuation.

They were housed in barracks and had to use communal areas for washing, laundry and eating. It was an emotional time for all. "I remember the soldiers marching us to the Army tank and I looked at their rifles and I was just terrified because I could see this long knife at the end . . . I thought I was imagining it as an adult much later . . . I thought it couldn't have been bayonets because we were just little kids." from "Children of the Camps"

Some internees died from inadequate medical care and the high level of emotional stress they suffered. Those taken to camps in desert areas had to cope with extremes of temperature.

Masive anger was being directed at those of Japanese* descent after 12/07/41; that, along with demands of those who opposed FDR, but who after the attack could no longer keep nit-picking about his economic policies, swayed FDR. Internment remains a blot on our history, yet historians are divided as to whether the policy saved lives.

* There was also anti-German sentiment from loyal Americans; not as pronounced, but still, in many small towns those with German "sounding names" changed them. And of course German Americans enlisted in large numbers.

Last edited:
Thankfully America had a President that had foreseen the coming war and had begun to prepare the nation for war despite the constant road blocks and attempts to delay and stop him by isolationist and libertarians. FDR brilliantly began research and development of weapons and weapon systems under the noses of of the partisan politics of the day so that when war came the nation was able to swing into production of the weapons that would win the war and save millions of American lives.

= he lied to get reelected (sound familiar?)

"I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again and again; your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars."

Yeah...

74 years after FDR gave that speech it is still used out of context. He was addressing the build up of American forces and hence was discussing the possibility of war. He made it clear that it was his hope that if the US built of it's forces Germany would not choose to drag America into the war. He was speaking directly to the parents of men being drafted into the military as a purely defensive deterrent would not be sent to fight a foreign war.
Hindsight is 20/20. Once Germany began attacking US Navy ships in the Atlantic the war became something else besides "foreign". Japan attacked America and Hitler declared war on the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

= he lied to get reelected (sound familiar?)

"I have said this before, but I shall say it again and again and again; your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars."

Yeah...

74 years after FDR gave that speech it is still used out of context. He was addressing the build up of American forces and hence was discussing the possibility of war. He made it clear that it was his hope that if the US built of it's forces Germany would not choose to drag America into the war. He was speaking directly to the parents of men being drafted into the military as a purely defensive deterrent would not be sent to fight a foreign war.
Hindsight is 20/20. Once Germany began attacking US Navy ships in the Atlantic the war became something else besides "foreign". Japan attacked America and Hitler declared war on the US.

Here is the FDR speech that is so often taken out of context.
www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=15887

bedding9.jpg

Masive anger was being directed at those of Japanese* descent after 12/07/41; that, along with demands of those FDR, who after the attack could no longer keep nit-picking about his economic policies, swayed FDR. Internment remains a blot on our history, yet historians are divided as to whether the policy saved lives.

* There was also anti-German sentiment from loyal Americans; not as pronounced, but still, in many small towns those with German "sounding names" changed them. And of course German Americans enlisted in large numbers.

Oh of course Roosevelt rounded 120,000 people, women and Children and put them in internment camps where people actually died and you find a good reason however unfounded, to explain it away. you should be embarrassed and ashamed

He was supporting his "Uncle Joe" who starved 7MM people including 3 MILLION children to death in the Ukraine.

FDR was a truly sick individual

Frankie boy, you are one sick asshole. FDR supported the USSR for one reason. That front destroyed the German Army. Without the Eastern Front, the invasion of Europe would have been much more difficult, maybe impossible. Also, it gave us a breach into the average Russians perception of the world. Enough of them remembered that the trucks that they used in the destruction of the Wehrmacht were Studabakers, that Stalin and those after him could not tell enough lies to erase that memory.

Get a fucking clue!!!!
FDR Embrace Stalin and called him Uncle Joe in 1933!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's immediately AFTER Stalin starved 3MM Kids to death

You Hero was a fucking lunatic

Just a few months and a few days later (November 4, 1939) I was born. Most all my memories from that war come from newsreels years after the fact, but there is one event that is burned into my mind, one I wish I could forget.

I was not quite six years old when I heard of the atomic bomb being dropped on Japan. I cannot begin to describe the fear I felt when I learned of the devastation. My childish mind thought it marked the very end of the world. Of course, the world did not end and sadly neither did war.

bedding9.jpg

Masive anger was being directed at those of Japanese* descent after 12/07/41; that, along with demands of those FDR, who after the attack could no longer keep nit-picking about his economic policies, swayed FDR. Internment remains a blot on our history, yet historians are divided as to whether the policy saved lives.

Oh of course Roosevelt rounded 120,000 people, women and Children and put them in internment camps where people actually died and you find a good reason however unfounded, to explain it away. you should be embarrassed and ashamed

You missed the first line: INTERNMENT REMAINS A BLOT ON OUR HISTORY. Too soon for even the best historians to judge; the general rule is 50 to 75 YEARS before history can be written. Which is why so many comments about FDR are laughable.

You are, of course, talking out of both sides of your mouth. The hypocrisy of you apologists for that scumbag FDR is truly shameless.

bedding9.jpg

You missed the first line: INTERNMENT REMAINS A BLOT ON OUR HISTORY. Too soon for even the best historians to judge; the general rule is 50 to 75 YEARS before history can be written. Which is why so many comments about FDR are laughable.

No mention of protection of Japanese people in the Executive order

"Executive" Order No. 9066

The President

Executive Order

Authorizing the Secretary of War to Prescribe Military Areas

Whereas the successful prosecution of the war requires every possible protection against espionage and against sabotage to national-defense material, national-defense premises, and national-defense utilities as defined in Section 4, Act of April 20, 1918, 40 Stat. 533, as amended by the Act of November 30, 1940, 54 Stat. 1220, and the Act of August 21, 1941, 55 Stat. 655 (U.S.C., Title 50, Sec. 104);

Now, therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me as President of the United States, and Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy, I hereby authorize and direct the Secretary of War, and the Military Commanders whom he may from time to time designate, whenever he or any designated Commander deems such action necessary or desirable, to prescribe military areas in such places and of such extent as he or the appropriate Military Commander may determine, from which any or all persons may be excluded, and with respect to which, the right of any person to enter, remain in, or leave shall be subject to whatever restrictions the Secretary of War or the appropriate Military Commander may impose in his discretion. The Secretary of War is hereby authorized to provide for residents of any such area who are excluded therefrom, such transportation, food, shelter, and other accommodations as may be necessary, in the judgment of the Secretary of War or the said Military Commander, and until other arrangements are made, to accomplish the purpose of this order. The designation of military areas in any region or locality shall supersede designations of prohibited and restricted areas by the Attorney General under the Proclamations of December 7 and 8, 1941, and shall supersede the responsibility and authority of the Attorney General under the said Proclamations in respect of such prohibited and restricted areas.

I hereby further authorize and direct the Secretary of War and the said Military Commanders to take such other steps as he or the appropriate Military Commander may deem advisable to enforce compliance with the restrictions applicable to each Military area hereinabove authorized to be designated, including the use of Federal troops and other Federal Agencies, with authority to accept assistance of state and local agencies.

I hereby further authorize and direct all Executive Departments, independent establishments and other Federal Agencies, to assist the Secretary of War or the said Military Commanders in carrying out this Executive Order, including the furnishing of medical aid, hospitalization, food, clothing, transportation, use of land, shelter, and other supplies, equipment, utilities, facilities, and services.

This order shall not be construed as modifying or limiting in any way the authority heretofore granted under Executive Order No. 8972, dated December 12, 1941, nor shall it be construed as limiting or modifying the duty and responsibility of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, with respect to the investigation of alleged acts of sabotage or the duty and responsibility of the Attorney General and the Department of Justice under the Proclamations of December 7 and 8, 1941, prescribing regulations for the conduct and control of alien enemies, except as such duty and responsibility is superseded by the designation of military areas hereunder.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

The White House,

February 19, 1942

Executive Order 9066 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

FDR held this nation together during the darkest times ever seen*. Now why is FDR a "scumbag"? The ONLY act that coulld possibly qualify is the bombings of a Hiroshima & Nagasaki, which occurre after his death.

Yes, FDR wasn't able to stop the Imperial army before the Rape of Nanking, or the Germans before the Holocaust; until the late 1930s, the US economy remained weak, with isloationists have a strong voice. That changed after Pearl Harbor.

*Arguable exception: Civil War.

the general rule is 50 to 75 YEARS before history can be written. Which is why so many comments about FDR are laughable.

Did people wait 50 years to judge the crimes of Hitler, Stalin, and the rest of the pantheon of historical villains?

Forum List

Back