72% of Americans support government run healthcare

USPS is a good example of the efficiency of a single payer system.

No private company will come to my house and deliver a letter to California for 44 cents.

LOL You are so living in the past ... yeah ... also no private company lays off it's employees just because they are well managed ... yeah ... then raise the cost of services and still fuck up half their responsibilities ... yeah, that's good management.

No private company will come to my house and deliver a letter to California for 44 cents.

LOL You are so living in the past ... yeah ... also no private company lays off it's employees just because they are well managed ... yeah ... then raise the cost of services and still fuck up half their responsibilities ... yeah, that's good management.

So you think a company can't be well managed, but get fucked over by externalities?

Thats an example of the federal government offering a state addition monies in return for additional services. The state didn't need to ask for additional money.

Who establishes poverty guidelines, the states or the Feds?

And?

Certain relatively recent provisions of Medicaid use the poverty guidelines; however, the rest of that program (accounting
for roughly three-quarters of Medicaid eligibility determinations) does not use the guidelines.

http://www.canhelp.org/CAN2008/2008poverty.pdf

The Federal Poverty Guidelines are a set of numbers published annually by the federal government.

Even a quarter of the Medicaid programs show the feds hand in controlling the program.

Umm, the United States Postal Service is operated in.....the United States. FedEx and UPS are worldwide operations.

Comparison fail.

LOL...nice try but you fail.
How many times have we heard Obama state this is a global recession we are in?
Also, if the USPS wasn't publicly ran, they would be in overseas markets.

I guess if I showed a quote from the US postmaster general calling for the privatization of the USPS so that they could compete, that wouldn't mean anything to you either, huh?

Are you really this fucking stupid?

Yes. Its a global recession. That has nothing to do with my point.

USPS is going to be small, globally. Why? Because FedEx has operations in 211 countries. USPS has operations in 1 country. Therefore its worldwide operations is going to be smaller.

Do I really need to explain shit like this?
I wonder why the Postmaster General called for the privatization of the USPS so they could compete better?

If USPS was being ran effectively, they would expand their operations to other countries. But they can't because they are a publicly ran postal service. That's my point try and pay attention.

Hmm. The government program that often has heavy involvement by private insurance companies is doing much poorer than the government program that has little involvement by private insurance companies.

Gee. I wonder why?

Yes, I'm sure the government will be able to run health insurance much better....just look at SS, the federal government in general, the Postal Service, Medicare, Medicaid, the Stimulus payments.....etc....

The government IS ALREADY RUNNING HEALTH INSURANCE WELL. Nobody with a brain in their head thinks that Medicare failed.

Medicaid isn't run by the feds, genius.

As for the US Postal Service....

U.S. Postal Service 1st-quarter profit $672 mln

U.S. Postal Service 1st-quarter profit $672 mln | Reuters

You on crack, son? You really want to cite one of the more profitable and best run federal agencies as evidence that its a failure?
So Medicaid isn't ran by the Feds, great argument....LOL
They just throw billions of dollars at the program....Lmao

Great argument indeed...they spend billions of dollars for a health care program, that you say they have very little control of how it is administered. :cuckoo:

Who establishes poverty guidelines, the states or the Feds?

And?

Certain relatively recent provisions of Medicaid use the poverty guidelines; however, the rest of that program (accounting
for roughly three-quarters of Medicaid eligibility determinations) does not use the guidelines.

http://www.canhelp.org/CAN2008/2008poverty.pdf

The Federal Poverty Guidelines are a set of numbers published annually by the federal government.

Even a quarter of the Medicaid programs show the feds hand in controlling the program.

Pssst. Who decides whether the programs use the federal poverty guidelines or not?

Yes, I'm sure the government will be able to run health insurance much better....just look at SS, the federal government in general, the Postal Service, Medicare, Medicaid, the Stimulus payments.....etc....

The government IS ALREADY RUNNING HEALTH INSURANCE WELL. Nobody with a brain in their head thinks that Medicare failed.

U.S. Postal Service 1st-quarter profit $672 mln

You on crack, son? You really want to cite one of the more profitable and best run federal agencies as evidence that its a failure?

Great argument indeed...they spend billions of dollars for a health care program, that you say they have very little control of how it is administered. :cuckoo:

Medicaid isn't a great program, because too much control is left to the states who constantly fuck it up. Medicare, on the other hand, is an excellent program.

I guess if I showed a quote from the US postmaster general calling for the privatization of the USPS so that they could compete, that wouldn't mean anything to you either, huh?

USPS is going to be small, globally. Why? Because FedEx has operations in 211 countries. USPS has operations in 1 country. Therefore its worldwide operations is going to be smaller.

I wonder why the Postmaster General called for the privatization of the USPS so they could compete better?

If USPS was being ran effectively, they would expand their operations to other countries. But they can't because they are a publicly ran postal service. That's my point try and pay attention.

What the fuck? The point of the USPS isn't to make money, dumbshit. Its a government agency. Its supposed to be revenue-neutral. The point of the USPS is to deliver the mail to Americans, not to the French.

And let me see if I can get this straight. You think the USPS has a monopoly which allows it to have an unfair advantage...but yet you think it needs to privatize so it can compete better? :lol::lol::lol:

And please provide the link to the postmaster generals comments that you are referring too.

So you think a company can't be well managed, but get fucked over by externalities?

Like what ... healthy competition? That's still a management issue.

Inability to keep up with tech? Management's fault again.

Inability to turn a profit? Management ...

Inability to maintain services at decent prices? Management ...

Mismanagement is the cause for any company to fail ... well that and over regulation, which the USPS doesn't have to worry about.

What the fuck? The point of the USPS isn't to make money, dumbshit. Its a government agency. Its supposed to be revenue-neutral. The point of the USPS is to deliver the mail to Americans, not to the French.

And let me see if I can get this straight. You think the USPS has a monopoly which allows it to have an unfair advantage...but yet you think it needs to privatize so it can compete better? :lol::lol::lol:

And please provide the link to the postmaster generals comments that you are referring too.

You asking for a link is just rich, nikee.
Yes, the USPS is in it to make money, I'm talking about money as a profit. I've worked at the Post Office for 30 years, and they have always been in it for the money you twit. "Revenue nuetral"...what a moron.

Last edited:

the P.O. aint that well run Nik....if anything gets done its because of the people who actually move the mail....Most (middle) managers get in the way and cause more problems then they solve....we are experiencing this right now in my office....

Medicaid isn't a great program, because too much control is left to the states who constantly fuck it up. Medicare, on the other hand, is an excellent program.

Yes and why it is headed for bankruptcy unless something is done.:cuckoo:

Postal Service....LOL

Wait! Wut?! A loss of 2.8 billion is considered a "decent year"? WTF?[/B][/B]

That's not the only reason: I've noticed that while lots of people shop online, many sellers--private and commercial--use UPS or FedEx ground service to deliver packages, maybe because they are more economical?

Additionally, the USPS will pay almost $70 billion from now through 2016 for retiree health benefits. But Postmaster General Potter pointed out that if USPS paid for retiree health benefits out of its Retiree Health Benefit Fund instead of its operating budget, that change would have allowed the service to reach a $1.6 billion profit in 2007, instead of a $5.1 billion loss. Um, isn't that what a "retiree health benefit fund" is for--to pay retiree health benefits?

The postal service has come up with some other nifty ideas to save money. Maybe they should have implemented some of these sooner:

first off since the PO usually loses around 1-2 billion a year ...2.8 Billion is a decent year....

if UPS and FedX charge more how are they more economical....FedX and UPS send little post cards to the PO asking us for the correct address for their parcels with bad numbers so they can deliver them....and this happens more than what you would think....i have seen UPS parcels left at vacant houses....parcels delivered to a person that moved years ago....etc.etc.

and the retiree thing was mandated by Congress a few years back against the PO's wishes....they had them put a couple bill a year in an escrow account,which at the time everyone was going... WHY? it turns out its a cash cow for congress,now they want it stopped and that money back....and those nifty ideas,USUALLY, always get shot down by Congress

No business is rosy right now. But the USPS has been profitable for many, many years.

So how if the government is so incompetent, was it able to run such a profitable and well run service for so many years?

no it hasnt....they have some descent years but by and large they lose money...

and you think it doesnt cost more than .44 cents to get that letter there?....dream on...

Pssst. Who decides whether the programs use the federal poverty guidelines or not?

Psst.....
http://www.familyimpactseminars.org/s_wifis22c01.pdf
Mandatory Populations
Although state participation in Medicaid is optional, states that have Medicaid
programs must provide coverage to certain groups or “categories” of people

(sometimes referred to as “categorically eligible”). Mandatory groups include
the following:
♦ AFDC-related populations (certain parents and children).
♦ People who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), a federal
cash assistance program for low-income people with disabilities who
meet specified eligibility criteria.
♦ Pregnant women with incomes up to 133% of federal poverty
guidelines
($12,382 for a single woman in 2004).
♦ Infants of women enrolled in Medicaid at the time of birth, or those in
families with income up to 133% of poverty guidelines.
♦ Children under age 6 in families with income up to 133% of poverty
guidelines.

♦ Children ages 6 through 18 in families with incomes at or below the
poverty level.

♦ Children in adoption or foster care.
♦ Some low-income Medicare recipients (for services not covered by
Medicare).

These are federal mandatory groups that must be covered using the poverty guidelines.:eusa_whistle:

Do you really want to compare their profits with private competitors?

The Postal Service's most visible and energetic competitors were shipping-service providers FedEx and UPS. For the Postal Service, competition was a tricky matter; the Postal Service was a government-subsidized entity with many advantages. Its rivals frequently maintained that the USPS used revenues generated from its monopoly on mail delivery to fund services designed to compete against private companies. The USPS, exempt from most taxes, including federal and state, free from parking fines, and able to clear foreign customs more easily than its competitors, seemed to hold the upper hand in the marketplace. In addition, postal laws required that private companies charge twice as much for services also offered by the USPS, allowing the agency to significantly undercut competing prices. UPS chairman and CEO Jim Kelly spoke out against such policies in a speech given to the National Press Club in 1998 and declared, "I'm hard pressed to think of a better example of anti-competitive practices than setting your competitors' rates." The Postal Service defended the postal rules and pointed out that UPS and FedEx charged more than double the USPS's $3.20 Priority Mail charge for two-day delivery services. USPS spokesperson Norm Scherstrom said in the Journal of Commerce, "If I recall, when we started our Priority Mail ads, UPS was charging about $8 and FedEx was charging about $12…. If the requirement was a double postage rule why were they way above that?"

As powerful as the Postal Service was, it faced substantial competition from many challengers and did not command all delivery categories. In the express-delivery service segment, FedEx was the largest express shipping company in the world and the market leader with a 43 percent share in 1997. UPS took the second place spot with 27 percent, followed by Airborne Express at 15 percent, other services with 8 percent, and the Postal Service with 5 percent, according to the Colography Group

That's how they did it..

Even with the advantages....

While USPS posted loses for 2008 here is what FEDEX posted...

FedEx 2008 Revenue Profit 2009 Fortune 500 Rank : Finance : eConsultant

2008 Profit: $ 1,125 million

the PO cannot deliver mail to foreign countries,we get it to their Post Offices and they take it from there,and the same happens here, its called International Postal Regulations....
and that article about FedX making money is BULLSHIT they are hurting as bad as everyone else....the driver on my route said they were told Business is down 60%....thats a lot...UPS is hurting as well...the driver i talk to said they are eliminating routes and making existing ones bigger (same as we are doing in the PO) and new guys may get laid off....also a possibility in the PO....its amazing how much money all these companies say they are making to the public....but the workers know different,they cant hide the obvious from us...ALL delivery services are hurting,and will continue to do so until the economy picks up...less industry, less mail of all classes....

Dipshit, they have a monopoly on residential delivery. If it was opened up to the marketplace, you very well could have mail delivered to a house in Ca for under 44 cents.

no you would not....it would cost pretty close to a dollar maybe more....the "junk mail" the PO delivers keeps that price at the low level it is....

No business is rosy right now. But the USPS has been profitable for many, many years.

So how if the government is so incompetent, was it able to run such a profitable and well run service for so many years?

Do you really want to compare their profits with private competitors?

United States Postal Service
The Postal Service's most visible and energetic competitors were shipping-service providers FedEx and UPS. For the Postal Service, competition was a tricky matter; the Postal Service was a government-subsidized entity with many advantages. Its rivals frequently maintained that the USPS used revenues generated from its monopoly on mail delivery to fund services designed to compete against private companies. The USPS, exempt from most taxes, including federal and state, free from parking fines, and able to clear foreign customs more easily than its competitors, seemed to hold the upper hand in the marketplace. In addition, postal laws required that private companies charge twice as much for services also offered by the USPS, allowing the agency to significantly undercut competing prices. UPS chairman and CEO Jim Kelly spoke out against such policies in a speech given to the National Press Club in 1998 and declared, "I'm hard pressed to think of a better example of anti-competitive practices than setting your competitors' rates." The Postal Service defended the postal rules and pointed out that UPS and FedEx charged more than double the USPS's $3.20 Priority Mail charge for two-day delivery services. USPS spokesperson Norm Scherstrom said in the Journal of Commerce, "If I recall, when we started our Priority Mail ads, UPS was charging about $8 and FedEx was charging about $12…. If the requirement was a double postage rule why were they way above that?"

As powerful as the Postal Service was, it faced substantial competition from many challengers and did not command all delivery categories. In the express-delivery service segment, FedEx was the largest express shipping company in the world and the market leader with a 43 percent share in 1997. UPS took the second place spot with 27 percent, followed by Airborne Express at 15 percent, other services with 8 percent, and the Postal Service with 5 percent, according to the Colography Group

That's how they did it..

Even with the advantages....

Umm, the United States Postal Service is operated in.....the United States. FedEx and UPS are worldwide operations.

Comparison fail.

correct

they could compete right now if congress would let them....and even if they were privitized there is still the International Postal Regs .....MANY foreign PO's are privitized but still have those regs about who delivers in each country....

Forum List

Back