7 to 8 Thousand Year Old Bog People In Florida Were 'White' European Says DNA

The very first immigrants predated the Amerinds by possibly as much as tens of thousands of years ago. They well may have been caucasoid, possible from western Asia, but that is not certain. Gregarious, fire users, tool makers, clothes wearers, they hunted the massive mammals of our High Plains. Then they disappeared long before the folks we call Native Americans arrived in the last 9000 to 13000 years.

Maybe someone(s) from Europe made over the ocean to Florida. Who knows? The Norse made it to the northeast of North America. Some say a Chinese fleet made it to the west coast of what is now Mexico. We know the 100 odd folks of the Roanoke Island Colony simply disappeared before 1590.

Our species, somewhere between the falling angel and the rising ape, is simply amazing. And damn dangerous.

They have also discovered, at least so far, no biological affiliation between these early Floridians and modern Native American groups. They know this from studying DNA that survived within the corpses' brains and bones. "One can envision these folks as being ultimately ancestral to people in that area," Doran says. "But the DNA signatures that we can see certainly are not 1:1 matches for modern groups."

More work remains to be done, however. In fact, if there is one area of the investigation that has not yet borne fruit on a par with its other successes, it's the DNA work. "To tell you the truth, it's been very frustrating," Doran says. "The DNA in most archeological sites is just not as well preserved as we'd like, and we're kind of waiting, I think, for some of the DNA extraction and purification techniques to improve."

How did you get from this that the remains are those of Europeans?

exactly.

And furthermore how did he get from 8000 yo relics to the conclusion that those predated Clovis man who had been here for 13,000 years +, perhaps 26,000 years.

Meanwhile on the European continent we have settled DNA evidence that suggest that European DNA is 1-4% neanderthal while only sub saharan African DNA is void of that neanderthal contribution.

Bogus? Um from what I read it is as yet to be determined. But then you would know that if you read the links. Basically that said the DNA could possibly even be European among other possibilities. Hardly supports his Statements, but neither can it be called totally bogus.

What can be called bogus is the faux clarity with which he reached his solid conclusions.

Can you just imagine the OP being so very very excited about early Americans being WHITE as opposed to anything else? WHITE do you hear! WHITE!!!!!
What is wrong with being proud of your race and it's vast achievements?

Because pride is something that should be reserved for personal accomplishments.

So then you feel the same way when Other races talk about being proud of their race? or just when whites do? Just curious.

Last edited:
I am very proud of my race: The human race.

White is merely a color.

-DING DING DING What do we have for him Johnny?!!?

The sad part is that it took 4 pages for someone to finally say this. USArmyRetired, you are dangerously close to being in the absolute wrong with your OP. I'm a proud American. And I am white. I'm not proud of the fact that I'm white. Why would I be? What inherent benefits to I have as a white man? None. The simple fact that you want to be proud of your "race and all its vast achievments" says a lot about what you believe race to actually be. Race is a product of evolution...the result of vastly differing environments on a species over thousands of years of reproduction. The result? Different skin color.

Go find something else to expound on and think twice before you post something like this again with that username.

-The Jerk

Well, since 7000 years ago any folks who might conceivably have been european stock would have been relatively fresh out of Africa, they may have been still pretty dark.

I wonder what weird evolutionary pressure selected so ferociously for low levels of melanin. Especially since it seems that high levels of melanin are, in mendelian terms, dominent.

Bogus? Um from what I read it is as yet to be determined. But then you would know that if you read the links. Basically that said the DNA could possibly even be European among other possibilities. Hardly supports his Statements, but neither can it be called totally bogus.

What can be called bogus is the faux clarity with which he reached his solid conclusions.

Which I acknowledged. And He is a she, and I believe She was referring to the entire premise that they might be Europeans.

Only Ravi can tell us that.

Forum List

Back