61% of you could not cover $1000 unexpected expense tomorrow

I keep what I call "transmission money" stuck back. I haven't touched it even though I have been fighting cancer for a year. It started as a catastrophic fund for transportation breakdowns. Now it's just money that cannot be spent on anything except an acute crisis.
my best wishes to you bro...................this place is nonsense..........but real is real

I keep what I call "transmission money" stuck back. I haven't touched it even though I have been fighting cancer for a year. It started as a catastrophic fund for transportation breakdowns. Now it's just money that cannot be spent on anything except an acute crisis.

I had no idea .. All my hopes are with you.

This point of information is difficult to assess. Consider...

My wife and I are both college grads, I have a law degree, and we both had OK careers. Now retired, a thousand dollar unexpected expense is barely an inconvenience now, and they do occur.

But as I think back through our lives, we were into our 40's before we reached the point where such an expense would be easily tolerable. OTOH, we always made it a point NOT to have a lot of cash on hand, because I would spend it. So most of our excess funds were simply invested in one thing or another. We actually took out a second mortgage line of credit to pay for cars and other expensive things (rather than taking money out of savings or selling assets). So in effect the expense would have been initially paid for by borrowing money.

Were we part of that 60% of unfortunates at those times? Hard to say. Our net worth at the time was into seven figures, but we still would have had to tap a line of credit to pay for it, at least initially.

Oh yeah?
What makes you think a Conservative doesn't have that kind of money?
Where did I say they didn't?

You said a liberal wouldn't. I corrected you because I could have easily done that. It's not that exceptional.

I said nothing about how much you or any other conservative might have.

Forum List

Back