58% Believers, 21% Agnostic, 21% Atheist

Nov 29, 2010

I did a poll on another message board and with almost 1000 responses, that's the break down.

Surprised?

Not really, who really knows how much of a correlation that has to general society.

I myself am atheist, but I'm not optimistic the agnostic and atheist numbers will continue to rise I feel this is just a short term blip. Atheism and agnosticism go up as educational level goes up, sounds arrogant of me to say but studies have proven this is the case and let's just say I have zero faith in the US Dept of Education and with our country's middle class evaporating you'll see less and less kids going to college as the years go.

People will admit to being atheist a lot more in the autonomous atmosphere of the net than they will in real life.
Especially if they live in the bible belt.

If it becomes general knowledge in the bible belt you will lose customers and such.

People will admit to being atheist a lot more in the autonomous atmosphere of the net than they will in real life.

If it becomes general knowledge in the bible belt you will lose customers and such.

Great point

many people (men?) are not allowed to admit they are agnostic/atheist because their wives won't let them

the catholic church forces their devotees to force their future mates to convert or else

I know a number of guys who don't really believe in god who had no choice because their wives made them....

Not really, who really knows how much of a correlation that has to general society.

I myself am atheist, but I'm not optimistic the agnostic and atheist numbers will continue to rise I feel this is just a short term blip. Atheism and agnosticism go up as educational level goes up, sounds arrogant of me to say but studies have proven this is the case and let's just say I have zero faith in the US Dept of Education and with our country's middle class evaporating you'll see less and less kids going to college as the years go.

and LOTS of people are merely believers because they were brought up as such and just never really thought about it....

i generally do not watch REBA on tv but I accidently saw 1 episode...

her son? made the mistake of aditting to her that he didn't really believe in god...

reba BLEW UP!

he was NOT GOING TO BE ALLOWED to have his own opinions, goddamnit....she was going to beat him over the head with her beliefs until he gave up.....

I didn't see the end of the show so I don't know what the result was....

Last edited:

many people (men?) are not allowed to admit they are agnostic/atheist because their wives won't let them

the catholic church forces their devotees to force their future mates to convert or else

I know a number of guys who don't really believe in god who had no choice because their wives made them....

Been married 35 years to a Catholic.
No one forced anyone I know anywhere to what you are claiming.
Sounds like they are BSing.
Guys being forced to believe in God?
How the fuck does your wife know what goes on in your mind?
Can you ask her what the over/under is on the Super Bowl and if the Pack will cover?

Can you ask her what the over/under is on the Super Bowl and if the Pack will cover?

I was best man for my best friend who I knew for a fact was a non-believer...

engaged to a catholic

he HAD TO go through all the rituals of becoming a catholic before they could get married....

to be honest; I don't know if it was HER CHURCh or HERSELF who demanded that he convert

but convert he did......

my oldest brother (protestant) married a catholic and he, too (this was 40 years ago) converted...

by force?
by choice?

which ever

my mom was NOT happy about it at the time

as to being forced to believe in god..
obviously nobody knows what is really going on in the mind of another person...

but the catholic church likes to encourage its' members to convert their future spouses to the cause prior to marriage

after which they become stats....counted as catholics....whether they really believe or not....

catholic policy re: marriage;

both parties MUST BE CHRISTIAN (but not necessarily catholic)

so....atheists are NOT allowed to marry someone of the faith by catholic policy

Last edited:

That is patently untrue. My mother is Catholic and my father is Methodist. Please stop spreading your ignorance like a disease.

I was best man for my best friend who I knew for a fact was a non-believer...

engaged to a catholic

he HAD TO go through all the rituals of becoming a catholic before they could get married....

to be honest; I don't know if it was HER CHURCh or HERSELF who demanded that he convert

but convert he did......

my oldest brother (protestant) married a catholic and he, too (this was 40 years ago) converted...

by force?
by choice?

which ever

my mom was NOT happy about it at the time

as to being forced to believe in god..
obviously nobody knows what is really going on in the mind of another person...

but the catholic church likes to encourage its' members to convert their future spouses to the cause prior to marriage

after which they become stats....counted as catholics....whether they really believe or not....

catholic policy re: marriage;

both parties MUST BE CHRISTIAN (but not necessarily catholic)

so....atheists are NOT allowed to marry someone of the faith by catholic policy

Brother, rituals do not force someone to believe in anything.
Name any denomination of Christianity or religion that does not try "to convert" ANYONE AND EVERYONE.
What you state applies to almost all religions and denominations.

and LOTS of people are merely believers because they were brought up as such and just never really thought about it....

i generally do not watch REBA on tv but I accidently saw 1 episode...

her son? made the mistake of aditting to her that he didn't really believe in god...

reba BLEW UP!

he was NOT GOING TO BE ALLOWED to have his own opinions, goddamnit....she was going to beat him over the head with her beliefs until he gave up.....

I didn't see the end of the show so I don't know what the result was....

Always found this interesting as many people will claim one religion yet have absolutely no idea what that entails. Most Christians cannot name the ten commandments and I know far more about the bible than ANY of my Christian friends save for one. In that manner, they identify as Christians but are not really Christians. Many times when they are pressed for their beliefs the answer ends up being 'I don't know.' They are close to agnostic if you ask me.

Should anyone be surprised?

21% are arrogant enough to presume there is no God. Shocker.

another 21% don't know. And that's fine. Not knowing isnt bad. I just hope they are actually seeking answers than just saying I dont know. No one can. no point looking.

The believers need to start actually living their faiths.

It is not arrogant to be atheist or agnostic and not believe in God. IMO it is arrogant to think God is a person like some kind of super human being.

I did a poll on another message board and with almost 1000 responses, that's the break down.

Surprised?

Not at all. I could poll another 1000 posters on a different board and get 947 believers, 51 agnostics, and 2 complete dumbasses.

another 21% don't know. And that's fine. Not knowing isnt bad. I just hope they are actually seeking answers than just saying I dont know. No one can. no point looking.

Here's where I'm at and I've posed this question to other people.

I'm about 99.99999999999999999% sure there's no God, I'm just as certain that there's no God as I am there's no species of dancing unicorn 8 galaxies over that cause the planet their on to orbit by how fast they move their hooves.

Neither can be scientifically proven not to exist so I'm not technically 100% sure of either. Does that tiny .0000000000000000000001% make me an agnostic or is it so insignificant that I'm really an atheist?

The title means nothing to me, couldn't care less which group I'm identified to belong to.

Wow, so now being an atheists is equivalent to arrogance?

Q) What do you get when you cross a dyslexic with an agnostic?

A) Somebody who sits around wondering if there is a Dog.

Forum List

Back