30 and Over~

the shoes i'm wearing are over 30. don't have much to add to what ed said, that's the way it was pretty much. i remember a car seat that just hooked over the front seatback and had a toy steering wheel, which i guess would have at least cracked the windshield before i went through it at 65 mph.

if someone got the measles in the neighborhood, all the kids would be paraded through like pilgrims to fatima in reverse, doctors made *housecalls* and yeah, we lived in fear of being obliterated. good times. :thup:

duck_and_cover.gif

Because we all know that under the desk the nuclear bomb can't get you! :lol:

Even today, during our emergency drills, the kids go out into the hall or the walk in closets and sit with their head between their knees with their arms over their heads. Like if someone is attacking us that's going to protect them! :eek:

speaking of HBO, I used to love the opening presentation to a movie!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cobKjqWOcFw&feature=related]YouTube - HBO Feature Presentation 80's[/ame]

the shoes i'm wearing are over 30. don't have much to add to what ed said, that's the way it was pretty much. i remember a car seat that just hooked over the front seatback and had a toy steering wheel, which i guess would have at least cracked the windshield before i went through it at 65 mph.

if someone got the measles in the neighborhood, all the kids would be paraded through like pilgrims to fatima in reverse, doctors made *housecalls* and yeah, we lived in fear of being obliterated. good times. :thup:

duck_and_cover.gif

Because we all know that under the desk the nuclear bomb can't get you! :lol:

Even today, during our emergency drills, the kids go out into the hall or the walk in closets and sit with their head between their knees with their arms over their heads. Like if someone is attacking us that's going to protect them! :eek:

well, it probably can't hurt. being nuked and being sent to vietnam were the two things i remember worrying about the most when i was a kid.

weird

duck_and_cover.gif
In the 90's we had lock down drills in case there was a school shooting. I remember during a real lock down we got down and huddled in a corner. Of course it was just the Kehoe brother's setting off a pipe bomb at a near by bank as a decoy.

How about waiting for "The Wizard of Oz" or "The Sound of Music" or "It's a Wonder Life" to come on TV once a year...It was a MAJOR event in our household back before the advent of VCRs! :lol:

How about waiting for "The Wizard of Oz" or "The Sound of Music" or "It's a Wonder Life" to come on TV once a year...It was a MAJOR event in our household back before the advent of VCRs! :lol:

I still managed to see wizard of oz at least ten times.

Today's kids are spoiled and pampered and to be honest I feel sorry for them. I can't imagine trying to grow up in today's world. I prefer Bone's world where it was safe to let your kids out the door. Today's world, while filled with unimaginable luxuries, is also filled with perverts and types of violence that were unheard of back in the day. What's really sad to me is that our kids don't even realize the freedoms they missed out on and I think that lets them be more accepting of what the federal government has been doing.

How many of you remember the old kerosene tv's? We had one. Had to fill up that little tank on the back every day so you wouldn't run out of kerosene while you were watching your favorite show. If it was something really interesting you might turn up the wick a little so the picture would be a little brighter but you had to be careful becuase if you turned it up too high the whole screen would blacken up and you'd have to turn the set off and take the screen off to clean it and thus miss your show. Nice thing about it though is if you lost electricity during a storm you could still watch tv.

How many of you remember the old kerosene tv's? We had one. Had to fill up that little tank on the back every day so you wouldn't run out of kerosene while you were watching your favorite show. If it was something really interesting you might turn up the wick a little so the picture would be a little brighter but you had to be careful becuase if you turned it up too high the whole screen would blacken up and you'd have to turn the set off and take the screen off to clean it and thus miss your show. Nice thing about it though is if you lost electricity during a storm you could still watch tv.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Just how old ARE you BBD? :lol:

One thing I do like about the kids of today is their self-confidence. Some of my friends don't like it and see it as impudence and it's true, self confidence can spill over into arrogance. But I still think I prefer seeing kids a bit too spoiled by positive reinforcement than kids scarred by too much negative reinforcement and punishment as was more often the case in previous generations. I also like that teenagers feel more comfortable talking to adults than I ever did at that age. Adults scared the hell out of me and they sometimes still do. :lol:

party lines....and a computer was keypunch and filled up a room...mostly i think we have forgotten being a child....riding in the back of the car ...in the rear window....in the sun..no dvd player...hell you got bored and whined and made the mistake of getting within reach you could get a backhand pretty quick...we ran the woods....build dams...got in trouble...but we were always outside...if it rained you found a place to play or got wet...but the freedom we had...

and damn it we were virgins ...for a while....

:lol: I've never heard of a kerosene TV???

http://www.earlytelevision.org/images/coal_tv.jpg

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/ScienceAndMechanics/6-1960/lrg_kerosene_radio.jpg

And check out this monster VCR! :lol:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/Panasonic_NV-9300_UMATIC_VTR.JPG

Last edited:

:lol: I've never heard of a kerosene TV???

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/qf/c/ScienceAndMechanics/6-1960/lrg_kerosene_radio.jpg

And check out this monster VCR! :lol:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/Panasonic_NV-9300_UMATIC_VTR.JPG
Thanks, I though he was pulling our leg. :lol:

I thought he was going to say Abraham Lincoln lit his tv with a candle.

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the damn library and
look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!
There was no email!! We had to actually write
somebody a letter, with a pen!
Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!
Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! No where was safe!
Weird Al - "When I Was Your Age":

[youtube]9kB78hM_lkI[/youtube]

Let me tell you sonny... let me set you straight
You kids today ain't never had it rough
Always had everything handed to you on a silver plate
You lazy brats think nothing's good enough

Well, nobody ever drove me to school when it was ninety degrees below
We had to walk buck naked through forty miles of snow
Worked in the coal mines twenty two hours a day for just half a cent
Had to sell my internal organs just to pay the rent

When I was your age. When I was your age

Let me tell you something, you whiny little snot
There's something wrong with all you kids today
You just don't appreciate all the things you've got
We were hungry, broken and miserable and we liked it fine that way

There were seventy three of us living in a cardboard box
All I got for Christmas was a lousy bag of rocks
Every night for dinner, we had a big 'ol chunk of dirt
If we were really good, we didn't get dessert

Didn't have no telephone, didn't have no FAX machine
All we had was a couple cans and a crummy piece of string
Didn't have no swimming pool when I was just a lad
Our neighbor's septic tank was the closest thing we had
Didn't have no dental floss, had to use old rusty nails
Didn't have Nintendo, we just poured salt on snails
Didn't have no water bed, had to sleep on broken glass
Didn't have no lawnmower, we used our teeth to cut the grass

What's the matter now, sonny, you say you don't believe this junk?
You think my story's wearin' kinda thin?
I tell you one thing, I never was such a disrespectful punk
Back in my time, we had a thing called discipline

My dad would whoop us every night till a quarter after twelve
Then he'd get too tired and he'd make us whoop ourselves
Then he'd chop me into pieces and play frisbee with my brain
And let me tell ya, Junior, you never heard me complain

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YouTube - HBO Feature Presentation 80's

Then you turn the volume WAY down when it says "The following movie is rated R. It is intended for mature audiences. HBO will show this film only at night."
I never did that!:eusa_angel:
Shit even if I am alone I will catch myself doing that out of habit.
Personally I think the 80's were the best time to grow up, we had technology but not too much, we still played outside but we had nitendo and Mtv for rainy days. We also had thundercats, Heman and Shera, and Heathcliff who's girlfriend Jazzerized. And our parents could still spank us. I can't remember how many wooden spoons my ass broke.:lol:

YouTube - HBO Feature Presentation 80's

Then you turn the volume WAY down when it says "The following movie is rated R. It is intended for mature audiences. HBO will show this film only at night."
you remember watching this on HBO. Man I wished the show was still on. I think I might have to buy the DVD for my *cough* son.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dXFWL7l7A0&feature=related]YouTube - FRAGGLE ROCK THEME TUNE[/ame]

Forum List

Back