3 Fisherpeoples dive into river water just before 35 ft speedboat runs their 20ft boat over! WOW!

Here's the Capt. near the wheelhouse. What a moron capt.
He's just standing there, looking at the boat coming at him.
Trusting the other boat will turn off the current heading.
The other boat at that speed should be turning already at this point seen.
Not even blowing a hand air horn. But was NOT doing either
Before the passengers started waving at the stern.
As the asshole capt was making a video still.
He had time to start and move the boat HERE! He should have been starting the boat NOW at this point in prep.

483D9BF400000578-5281039-Bryan_Maess_had_been_fishing_with_friends_Christopher_McMahon_an-a-2_1516227031598.jpg

Making a video still? I'm pretty sure those cameras are mounted in the boat. It isn't as though the people on the boat are holding the cameras in their hand; otherwise, how would you be able to see all 3 jump into the water?

Do you think that someone in a boat should have the boat running and ready to move at all times? Should there be a horn available to blow within 5 seconds at all times? What, precisely, are you saying is the responsibility of the captain of a boat that was not upheld in this instance?

You do seem to be blaming the victims still. A boat is heading toward them...and you think they should realize right away that the boat is traveling too fast, and be ready to get out of the way of the other boat which is being driven recklessly? If I were in a car and stopped at a red light, am I also to blame if I don't get out of the way of another car that decides to come rear end me?

I'm only pointing at the Capt's failure here being on the water knowing the area.
The passengers are both captains' victims. Both Capt's are failures here. I've had to
emergency move many types of small and large boats. From anchor issues
to boats to close, and head at us. Moving the boat is 1st thang you should be doing.

Here the fuckers are at the Rogue.
They show up on the opening day of salmon and crab season and churn everything up. Kill crabs by the thousands, likewise the oysters..who are all laying and doing their thing to reproduce.

When you're on a river like this, STOPPED.
You most, as captains without warning radar, keep passengers safe.
He saw it long far away than the video shows. And should have prep to evade.

You sound like you're blaming the victims here. How long do you assume the people had from seeing the speeding boat approaching them until it struck?

The older man who was driving the boat actually made the argument that he couldn't see the smaller boat because he was sitting down.

This seems like a clear case of negligent or reckless operation of a motorboat, whether the man driving the boat was looking at his cellphone (as his son-in-law claims he was doing quite a bit) or not. I'm not sure what the rules of boating are in that area, but it seems unlikely that the passengers of the boat which was struck should have been prepared for a larger boat speeding directly into them like that.

My guess is they are fishermen and the boat that ran them down is a government vessel. We deal with that here in my town. On the first day of salmon season, they bring a dredge up..and he spends his time blowing his horn, churning up the bar, and racing from one side of the river mouth to the other, back and forth, at high speed, right through all the fishing vessels. It's nauseating. It's the Yaquina, a merchant marine outfit run by a contracted crew of enviropigs for the Dept. of Engineers.

That's.....pretty odd and random. Do you assume that any boat driven recklessly is a government vessel?

Big boats gleefully running over fishermen..yeah. I pretty much do. Because I've seen them do it. Here the biggest vessels are government.

The Coast Guard doesn't do it though. Just the Corps of Engineers.

You sound like you're blaming the victims here. How long do you assume the people had from seeing the speeding boat approaching them until it struck?

The older man who was driving the boat actually made the argument that he couldn't see the smaller boat because he was sitting down.

This seems like a clear case of negligent or reckless operation of a motorboat, whether the man driving the boat was looking at his cellphone (as his son-in-law claims he was doing quite a bit) or not. I'm not sure what the rules of boating are in that area, but it seems unlikely that the passengers of the boat which was struck should have been prepared for a larger boat speeding directly into them like that.

My guess is they are fishermen and the boat that ran them down is a government vessel. We deal with that here in my town. On the first day of salmon season, they bring a dredge up..and he spends his time blowing his horn, churning up the bar, and racing from one side of the river mouth to the other, back and forth, at high speed, right through all the fishing vessels. It's nauseating. It's the Yaquina, a merchant marine outfit run by a contracted crew of enviropigs for the Dept. of Engineers.

That's.....pretty odd and random. Do you assume that any boat driven recklessly is a government vessel?

Big boats gleefully running over fishermen..yeah. I pretty much do. Because I've seen them do it. Here the biggest vessels are government.

The Coast Guard doesn't do it though. Just the Corps of Engineers.

If you looked at the video, you would have seen that it was a private boat KG.

Just sayin'........................

It looks NOTHING like the boat you posted.

He had time to start and move the boat HERE! He should have been starting the boat NOW at this point in prep.

483D9BF400000578-5281039-Bryan_Maess_had_been_fishing_with_friends_Christopher_McMahon_an-a-2_1516227031598.jpg

Making a video still? I'm pretty sure those cameras are mounted in the boat. It isn't as though the people on the boat are holding the cameras in their hand; otherwise, how would you be able to see all 3 jump into the water?

Do you think that someone in a boat should have the boat running and ready to move at all times? Should there be a horn available to blow within 5 seconds at all times? What, precisely, are you saying is the responsibility of the captain of a boat that was not upheld in this instance?

You do seem to be blaming the victims still. A boat is heading toward them...and you think they should realize right away that the boat is traveling too fast, and be ready to get out of the way of the other boat which is being driven recklessly? If I were in a car and stopped at a red light, am I also to blame if I don't get out of the way of another car that decides to come rear end me?

I'm only pointing at the Capt's failure here being on the water knowing the area.
The passengers are both captains' victims. Both Capt's are failures here. I've had to
to boats to close, and head at us. Moving the boat is 1st thang you should be doing.

If the boat had it's anchor down, and the engine was not running, how do you suppose they would have gotten out of the way in the 5 seconds or so they had in the video? Or do you think that an anchored boat should be ready to move at a moment's notice? Or should an anchored boat prepare to move as soon as it sees another boat on the horizon?

Are there any specific rules or laws involved that you feel the captain violated? At this point, you seem to be indicating that a boat captain who isn't ready to move at a moment's notice shares the blame for not avoiding another reckless boat driver.

You know, the guys in the small boat were sitting there fishing. That means they probably had an anchor down, as well as had the engine off. The dude in the bigger boat was moving, so IMHO, that means that he has to be looking out for obstacles and steer to avoid them.

By the way, quick question for you boat people....................in a case of a bigger boat vs. a smaller boat, who gets the right of way? Or, does it have something to do with who is parked vs. who is moving?

The boat is not anchored. If it was, you would see water wakes to spread off the boat from the bow point.

The right boat anchor for this one is small. The engine here would have broken the mud anchor free or zip tie breaks on other types.

You know, if a moving car hits a parked car, it's the fault of the person driving the moving car.

Does that apply to boats?

I suppose they might have been anchored in the wrong place; maybe the nautical equivalent of parking in the middle of the road?

There is no such thing as "parking in the middle of the road" on the water, unless of course you are parked in known shipping lanes.

Nope, these guys were ran over, and I think it is the fault of the moving boat. Hopefully, they can get a decent settlement out of it.

You know, the guys in the small boat were sitting there fishing. That means they probably had an anchor down, as well as had the engine off. The dude in the bigger boat was moving, so IMHO, that means that he has to be looking out for obstacles and steer to avoid them.

By the way, quick question for you boat people....................in a case of a bigger boat vs. a smaller boat, who gets the right of way? Or, does it have something to do with who is parked vs. who is moving?

The boat is not anchored. If it was, you would see water wakes to spread off the boat from the bow point.

The right boat anchor for this one is small. The engine here would have broken the mud anchor free or zip tie breaks on other types.

Not from that camera angle you wouldn't. And, if you watch the way the boat is moving before it's ran over by the yacht, you would have seen that at a minimum, they had no engine power, because the boat was bobbing in time with the waves. I think it was anchored.

And, the camera quits just as the bow contacts the boat, you wouldn't have been able to see the wakes if they occurred.

Here the fuckers are at the Rogue.
They show up on the opening day of salmon and crab season and churn everything up. Kill crabs by the thousands, likewise the oysters..who are all laying and doing their thing to reproduce.

I mostly never anchor on rivers fishing. One reason is currents and getting tangled in logs and crap. kickers are better.
The water here very slow Lakes are not so bad.

And these type of morons running stupid on rivers.
I've had to move mostly from these morons. But that
the time to hold pole like a rifle and they turn in fear.

Last edited:

If the boat had it's anchor down, and the engine was not running, how do you suppose they would have gotten out of the way in the 5 seconds or so they had in the video? Or do you think that an anchored boat should be ready to move at a moment's notice? Or should an anchored boat prepare to move as soon as it sees another boat on the horizon?

Are there any specific rules or laws involved that you feel the captain violated? At this point, you seem to be indicating that a boat captain who isn't ready to move at a moment's notice shares the blame for not avoiding another reckless boat driver.

It depends on the conditions if I keep the engine running. And looking at pics and videos. he had lots of time to move the boat. I know what all boats are doing around me as captain if I can see them. This boat here I would have been concerned even FURTHER away. As it was splashing water high, and long off heading my way. btw: I love radar backup on bigger boats. I set that to sound on objects in my 1/4, 1/2 mile range, Sound alarm on fast moving boats inside my range even more, heading at me in direct line with less than .5 degrees of drift. over a 1/4 mile.

This is what real Captains do.

You are wrong on every point..

The smaller boat had the right of way an the boat under power took it from him. The driver of the large boat is in deep shit

The above seems to be the facts so far. I questioned what the smaller boat did. Waving? FFS! The cap should have tried to move the boat. From the longer video, it was far away from them where I could have moved the boat. As a Captain with passengers I prep boat for these events. Even if the anchor was down here.
Seems it was not btw. Start- Full Power turn port or starboard there was time. Plus if he was at/in the center of the entry from the sea, It appears to be in the middle travel lanes where boats are still on GPS autopilot at least.
This is where you need to be extra on alert in smaller boats ready to move. If they were up the river, most areas are only 1500 feet wide or less and he looked in the of travel lane fully.

Again you are wrong on every point..

Have you ever been on a boat?

At one time I had a Western Rivers Captains license.

Okay, I blame the smaller boat Captain as well, he should lose his captains' lic.
He runs a commercial six-pack boat charter.

Angling Oregon - Full Service Guide and Tackle

•US Coast Guard OUPV 6 Pack Captain's License

•State Of Oregon Gide License (#2416) <-- site spelling. I think it a 'guide license'

He is based 200 miles inland from the sea. The odds are he was in the middle of the river,
and a failure as a charter capt.

You truly are amazing.
These people were ran over by a much larger craft piloted by a person who was obviously not paying any attention to where they were going, and all's you can do is blame the victims. Fucking unbeluevable.

Try reading closely. "I blame the smaller boat Captain as well, "

The Captain should've been last off the boat or gone down with it. Not the first to JUMP!

You are full of shit...

The boat jumpers included a police officer who is a well known jackass and who is now suing the owner of the boat that ran him over.

My guess is they were doing something stupid..or they were run over by someone they previously fucked with.

Forum List

Back