$20,000,000,000,000.00 Decit...What is Hillary's Plan to REDUCE it?

I only know of one nation that has totally rejected globalization, and insists on no significant trade deals with anyone. I'll give you a hint. It is located north of South Korea.
Or is it that no business person or politician wants to visit?

Nope. The offending nation will introduce retaliatory tariffs, just like they did in the 1920's, leading to.....................
Milton Friedman doesn't blame tariffs for The Great Depression; he blames the gubmint for not printing more money to make up for excessive offshore investing.

I used to live in McAllen, TX, which is right on the border. Every weekend after the mall stores closed the whole parking lot was full of boxes in which products had been bought, and the boxes discarded. I asked someone about it, and was told that Mexicans come over, buy stuff, take it out of the boxes, and then drive it back across the border, claiming that it was old stuff that they owned before they entered the USA. That way, they did not have to pay tariffs. The next weekend, I drove by, and saw a guy swinging a new gold club next to the parking lot in the grass, to make it look used.

Tariffs will solve everything!

Nope. The offending nation will introduce retaliatory tariffs, just like they did in the 1920's, leading to.....................
Milton Friedman doesn't blame tariffs for The Great Depression; he blames the gubmint for not printing more money to make up for excessive offshore investing.

In view of the fact that the depression was world wide, and not restricted to the USA, I guess I would have to disagree.

I used to live in McAllen, TX, which is right on the border. Every weekend after the mall stores closed the whole parking lot was full of boxes in which products had been bought, and the boxes discarded. I asked someone about it, and was told that Mexicans come over, buy stuff, take it out of the boxes, and then drive it back across the border, claiming that it was old stuff that they owned before they entered the USA. That way, they did not have to pay tariffs. The next weekend, I drove by, and saw a guy swinging a new gold club next to the parking lot in the grass, to make it look used.

So you saying GM and Ford is going to hire Mexicans to drive their new cars across the border to avoid paying taxes?

In view of the fact that the depression was world wide, and not restricted to the USA, I guess I would have to disagree.
Was it Global because WE are the consumers?

I may be wrong but I'm not concerned about inflation because the cost of living is already too high for those earning 20K/year or less.
So you are of the professional opinion that our debt is of no real concern.

If I borrowed $50,000; how would it affect your life?

If the government borrowed $50,000,000,000; how would it affect your life?

If I paid down my personal debt by $50,000; how would it affect your life?

If the government paid down the debt by $50,000,000,000; how would it affect your life?

These are some things that need to be considered. The answers are surprisingly identical in all 4 scenarios.

The United States government needs to run its affairs like a national government. Households need to run their affairs like households. They are two entirely different animals with totally different rules.

So you saying GM and Ford is going to hire Mexicans to drive their new cars across the border to avoid paying taxes?

No. Ford is paying absolutely no attention to Trump's threats, because they know that he is full of shit. They have been building Fords in Mexico for over a decade, and a trainload of them come up the Cruz River Valley railroad near my house every other night. The plants are now automated, and the jobs are not coming back. There hasn't been a TV manufactured in the USA for decades.

I may be wrong but I'm not concerned about inflation because the cost of living is already too high for those earning 20K/year or less.

If the government paid down the debt by $50,000,000,000; how would it affect your life?

These are some things that need to be considered. The answers are surprisingly identical in all 4 scenarios.
So why do politicians make such an issue of the debt?
What are they trying to pull off on us?

No. Ford is paying absolutely no attention to Trump's threats, because they know that he is full of shit. They have been building Fords in Mexico for over a decade, and a trainload of them come up the Cruz River Valley railroad near my house every other night. The plants are now automated, and the jobs are not coming back. There hasn't been a TV manufactured in the USA for decades.
Having business that can be taxed has no advantages?

The industrialized nations where all charging retaliatory tariffs, from the Far East, to the USA to Europe. Germany probably suffered worse than we did, and we did not do much business with them.

So if Trump does his plans where he makes a huge 50% import tax that isn't going to force companies to bring the jobs back?

The industrialized nations where all charging retaliatory tariffs, from the Far East, to the USA to Europe. Germany probably suffered worse than we did, and we did not do much business with them.
Japan and Germany still protect their workers.
Are they doing so much worse than the US?

When I was a young man, unskilled people in the USA built cars and mined coal, or made steel. Now other countries do that with robots that we build. We also build computer operating systems and weapons of war. If people can't get with the program, they are going to be left behind

They say Ford is moving small car production to Mexico, because they selling there, not here..When gas prices go back up, they'll be selling more here. Shipped in from Mexico, not built here. Ford says they are not cutting any jobs here because of the move? That may be true, but we aren't gaining any either..Mexico is.

link, please.

When I was a young man, unskilled people in the USA built cars and mined coal, or made steel. Now other countries do that with robots that we build. We also build computer operating systems and weapons of war. If people can't get with the program, they are going to be left behind
So if someone is not an engineer, or an accountant, they flip burgers.

So why do politicians make such an issue of the debt?
What are they trying to pull off on us?

It's extremely convenient. It will always be there. It is very easy to make it look daunting because the numbers are so huge. If your opponent has inadequate dirt then you can always accuse them of causing the national debt.

It's extremely convenient and always readily available. When there is no devil present then you can always rely on the national debt to be there by your side to make you look like a hero. A national government is extremely complicated. It is nothing like a state government, a local government, a business or a household. Even those who understand it don't understand how it all works.

Politicians are obligated to talk a lot. The national debt is so scary looking, it is so confusing, it is so big, it is so overwhelming that it invokes emotion. It's easy to be passionate about the national debt. It invokes strong emotions that make a politician appear sincere. The national debt is a reliable political tool that makes politicians look like heroes. It's extremely convenient. National debts will be abused this way until the end of time.

link, please.
You are saying that Japan and Germany outsource to other nations and bring in Business Visas?

So if Trump does his plans where he makes a huge 50% import tax that isn't going to force companies to bring the jobs back?

Trump is not going to put a tariff on anything. Only congress can do that, and their constituencies, who own Ford stock, including me, will not tolerate it. Ford does much more business in the rest of the world than they do in the USA. Chrysler is closing down ALL of their USA manufacturing WITHOUT a tariff.

Forum List

Back