18 months and still no miracles

--->whoosh--->

The cartoon brought home to me the question what would McCain have done? What would Palin do, if faced with those same problems all within a year and a half?

Compounding the very real problems is a 21st Century presidency having to deal with channel-changing, text-messaging, viral e-mailing, Twittering, self-appointed experts wanting instant gratification. McCain has a wicked temper and would be throwing tantrums. Palin's self-image is so great, she would have just quit.

Well, under McCain/Palin, the following would be different:

1- The Healthcare bill that will bankrupt the USA would not have passed.
2- The US Federal Gov't would not drop a lawsuit on Arizona for the immigration bill.
3- The US foreign policy would not be to bow to dictators and appease Iran. Iran is emboldened and rapidly aquiring a nuclear weapon. Unspeakable evil could result.
4- The economy would probably be no better, no worse. No president can fix that right now. But, I imagine businesses wouldn't be as nervous about higher taxes under McCain. Maybe would be more willing to take some hiring risks, especially knowing they aren't gonna be forced to pay healthcare for every worker they hire. That healthcare bill is a hiring issue also.
5- The Black Panthers would be getting prosecuted by the Feds.
6- The oil spill would still be just as bad. But McCain would've lifted the Jones Act and allowed all the foreign nations to help us instead of Obama refusing to lift it because it would hurt unions.

But, to the original message of "No miracles yet".........you mean people are still having to pay their mortgages and put gas in their cars? GASP!!! And to think, Obama voters actually thought he was gonna pay their mortgages and gas bills for them.

I'm not so sure on your #2

I really don't think they would've, partly because of McCains strong ties to Arizona. He was their Senator, after all. I don't think he'd do that to the state that most strongly would support his presidency. He'd speak out against it I'm sure, because he's a liberal Republican after all, but I doubt it'd go as far as a lawsuit. Palin would support the Arizona bill, and McCain likely wouldn't have appointed an Attorney General as far left, radical whacko as Eric Holder.

6- The oil spill would still be just as bad. But McCain would've lifted the Jones Act and allowed all the foreign nations to help us instead of Obama refusing to lift it because it would hurt unions.

Why is the right wing still pushing that Jones act nonsense? It only applies to ships leaving from US ports and having a destination to a US port. There are 21 foreign ships involved in cleanup right now. Doesn't seem the Jones Act is keeping them away

And it only took Obama 2 months to approve their use, go figure.

Looks like that hopey-changey went right down the drain. :lol::lol::lol:

--->whoosh--->

The cartoon brought home to me the question what would McCain have done? What would Palin do, if faced with those same problems all within a year and a half?

Compounding the very real problems is a 21st Century presidency having to deal with channel-changing, text-messaging, viral e-mailing, Twittering, self-appointed experts wanting instant gratification. McCain has a wicked temper and would be throwing tantrums. Palin's self-image is so great, she would have just quit.

If McCain had done nothing after entering office besides trying to assure confidence, he would have done better than the Big 0. He has thoroughly confused everyone, blown his chance fix things when handed a blank check and now is going to remove about 5% from the economy by allowing the "Bush Tax Cuts" to expire.

Luckily for his constituancy, which is largely out of work, the unemployed will not have to suffer by having their withholding increased.

Unluckily for his constituancy, as long as he in office, they will never find work again.

So, let's check the balance sheet. We are DOWN to 14.6 million unemployed. The stimulus is about a trillion, actually more, but let's use that number.

1 trillion divided by 14.6 million = $68,493. All of the unemployed could have recieved $68,493 so far. This would be a monthly benefit of $3,805. If you're unemployed and did not recieve $3,805 per month since the Big 0 took office, you're getting cheated.

Employment Situation Summary

Yeah, but did you notice how cool he is? And and and how awesome it is that he's black? And did you hear how awesome and fantastic his speeches sound? And he plays basketball, and, and, and he's so cool, and he's always on ESPN picking games, and, and, and he's just awesome, he's so much better than Bush and McCain, and you just listen to Glen Beck too much!

I was away for a week. Did I miss the memo that McCain, who didn't win, is now the new one to blame? Bush is out? Now, that's a miracle!

Most of the independents have caught on that after 4 years in power the democrats haven't a leg to stand on when blaming republicans and after 2 years of NO Bush, Obama may actually be responsible for all the dumb ass things he has done.

Now they will play make believe in an attempt to distract again.

I don't think they'll ever put blame on Barry or the Dems. It will always be Republicans or Bush. Or, as this tread shows, the desperation of the 'what if' blame game. Too funny.

I thank Obama, I still have a job. Republicans wanted to ship all of them overseas.
Could you imagine what would have happened if we elected McCain?

He would have finished the destruction of the US that Republicans started under Bush.

I think it's something about the end of the world will bring Jesus back, but it's never been clear why they want this country destroyed. All we know is they have worked tirelessly to achieve that goal.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. When will you look at the world today? How many jobs has the Big 0's progam added to this economy in the real world?

--->whoosh--->

If McCain had done nothing after entering office besides trying to assure confidence, he would have done better than the Big 0. He has thoroughly confused everyone, blown his chance fix things when handed a blank check and now is going to remove about 5% from the economy by allowing the "Bush Tax Cuts" to expire.

Luckily for his constituancy, which is largely out of work, the unemployed will not have to suffer by having their withholding increased.

Unluckily for his constituancy, as long as he in office, they will never find work again.

So, let's check the balance sheet. We are DOWN to 14.6 million unemployed. The stimulus is about a trillion, actually more, but let's use that number.

1 trillion divided by 14.6 million = $68,493. All of the unemployed could have recieved $68,493 so far. This would be a monthly benefit of $3,805. If you're unemployed and did not recieve $3,805 per month since the Big 0 took office, you're getting cheated.

Whose to say it wouldn't have been 30 million without stimulus? or 40? You seem to forget just how precipitous the situation was. Direct distribution as you propose, eg, throwing money out of airplanes, would not fix the problem. You need to get at the root.

I'm not necessarily saying Obama's stimulii have done the trick, but I will say that 1. The situation is better now than it was, and 2. We don't know what might have happened if we'd done nothing (And "We" includes you). It could have been much, much worse.

Why is the right wing still pushing that Jones act nonsense? It only applies to ships leaving from US ports and having a destination to a US port. There are 21 foreign ships involved in cleanup right now. Doesn't seem the Jones Act is keeping them away

Because dumbass it states that a ship leaving a US port and docking at a US port must be US owned and operated (aka, a UNION labor deal).

If foreign ships come to help, they're gonna have to dock after a few days, in a US port, leave again to help clean up, then dock again, then leave, then dock, you know........for a lengthy clean up. So, if a British owned and operated ship came to help, it could dock at a US port, then go clean up, but according to the Jones act, would have to re-dock at a foreign port before returning to the US port. Basically, a cluster-fu** of a clean-up effort.

All Obama has to do is end the Jones Act for a while. Then, a lot more than 21 ships (probably docking in Mexico or a Gulf island nation to avoid the Jones Act) could come help.

But then again, Obama has to look out for the unions. As always.

Whose to say it wouldn't have been 30 million without stimulus? or 40? You seem to forget just how precipitous the situation was. Direct distribution as you propose, eg, throwing money out of airplanes, would not fix the problem. You need to get at the root.

I'm not necessarily saying Obama's stimulii have done the trick, but I will say that 1. The situation is better now than it was, and 2. We don't know what might have happened if we'd done nothing (And "We" includes you). It could have been much, much worse.
And monkeys could've flown out your butt...What's that supposed to prove of any positive merit?

--->whoosh--->

2- The US Federal Gov't would not drop a lawsuit on Arizona for the immigration bill.
3- The US foreign policy would not be to bow to dictators and appease Iran. Iran is emboldened and rapidly aquiring a nuclear weapon. Unspeakable evil could result.
4- The economy would probably be no better, no worse. No president can fix that right now. But, I imagine businesses wouldn't be as nervous about higher taxes under McCain. Maybe would be more willing to take some hiring risks, especially knowing they aren't gonna be forced to pay healthcare for every worker they hire. That healthcare bill is a hiring issue also.

But, to the original message of "No miracles yet".........you mean people are still having to pay their mortgages and put gas in their cars? GASP!!! And to think, Obama voters actually thought he was gonna pay their mortgages and gas bills for them.

You think McCain would sue Arizona?

I was away for a week. Did I miss the memo that McCain, who didn't win, is now the new one to blame? Bush is out? Now, that's a miracle!

Most of the independents have caught on that after 4 years in power the democrats haven't a leg to stand on when blaming republicans and after 2 years of NO Bush, Obama may actually be responsible for all the dumb ass things he has done.

Now they will play make believe in an attempt to distract again.

Yep, and it WAS the independents that pushed Obama into the presidency.

Over the past year, Obama has lost support among all party groups, though the decline has been steeper among independents than among Republicans or Democrats. Today's 38% approval rating among independents is 18 percentage points lower than the 56% found July 6-12, 2009. During the same period, his support has fallen nine points among Democrats (from 90% to 81%) and eight points among Republicans (from 20% to 12%).
Obama Job Approval Rating Down to 38% Among Independents

You think McCain would sue Arizona?

I think that the republicans are just as guilty about the border as the democrats are, and I think the possiblity would be there, yes.

--->whoosh--->

I find this so interesting: Liberals are defending the massive Obama stimulus by saying "We dont know what might have happened if we'd done nothing".

Hmmmmmmmm. I can't help but ponder.............what if that logic were applied to Iraq, where the left spent 8 years nearly crapping their pants by screaming in protest of the Iraq War. Had we not gone, might Saddam have redeveloped his nuclear and WMD programs, which he claimed to still have? Might he have aided the Taliban in Afghanistan? Hamas in Palestine? Same for Afghanistan, might Al Qaida and the Taliban have bought weapons from Saddam? Might they have grown stronger and more emboldened after 9-11 without a ground war to dismantle their ops?

Interesting. Obama passes the stimulus, which appears to be partially a failure, and we get that it was necessary because we don't know "What might have happened". I for one am not knocking the stimulus that much. It sucks. But was it necessary? Maybe. Bush did one. Obama did one. It's true we're not sure what would've happened. With the economy, and with Iraq. The left should be consistent with their belief in the theory of "What might have happened has we not done something".

--->whoosh--->

Think what you want, but people looking for jobs or having trouble paying their bills, are not consoling themselves with such thoughts.

The American people don't have the time or patience to waste with pointless "what ifs". People just want those presently in charge to handle the issues.

Oh, that's brilliantly profoud. No offering of how that would be accomplished, however.

Think what you want, but people looking for jobs or having trouble paying their bills, are not consoling themselves with such thoughts.

I had dinner with three of my friends last night. Two are in construction and one is in healthcare. Both of those in construction are on unemployment have been for over a month now. We were talking about it and one of them stated that under Bush they never had been laid off, and both are blaming Obama for their unemployment now.
Doesn't matter who's fault you want to place the blame....the people that are unemployed are blaming Barry. just sayin....

--->whoosh--->

Historically, when a recession drops fast it recovers fast. This is the "V" graph recession.

Something stopped the quick recovery. You make the call.

In Europe, the unemployment rate went from 9.5 to 10% over the last year. Our very European results are far worse than the Japanese which have an unemployment rate near 6%, about 5.6%. The Big 0 program is a disaster, period. If he'd done nothing, restrained by an obstructionist Congress, and it got worse, then he'd be off the hook.

He got every, single thing he asked for, predicted the success he expected and has failed in every sense.

Could have been much worse? All things are possible, but he's spent every cent he could lay his hands on and done so in a way that produced nothing good. That in itself is impressive. Not successful, but impressive.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cache/ITY_PUBLIC/3-02072010-AP/EN/3-02072010-AP-EN.PDF

Last edited:
I had dinner with three of my friends last night. Two are in construction and one is in healthcare. Both of those in construction are on unemployment have been for over a month now. We were talking about it and one of them stated that under Bush they never had been laid off, and both are blaming Obama for their unemployment now.
Doesn't matter who's fault you want to place the blame....the people that are unemployed are blaming Barry. just sayin....
Both my construction ventures are flat out in the tank right now.

People who have the money are sitting on it, because of all the economic uncertainty with the current bunch of spoiled little brats in charge of the nation's credit card.

--->whoosh--->

Neither McCain nor Palin would have operated as one-person shows, either. They too would have had advisory staff, especially with regard to Iran and I can guarantee that McCain would NOT be threatening to bomb them. Many campaign promises would be unfulfilled or put on the back burner, just as they always are.

With regard the the domestic issues, nope-- health care would not even be mentioned as a problem (that is until the skyrocketing costs of private care and insurance began hitting the pockets of the upper-middle class). Both would have realized immediately that the TARP "bailout" (although disgusting to have to do) was the only way to stop a run on banks all over the world and completely destroying the economy. They would have allowed GM to fail and thus become responsible for an additional thousands (and thousands more that rely on the auto industry) to join the ranks of the unemployed.

You mentioned a few "events" like the Black Panthers (that group which, by the way, apparently will face charges for their influence peddling), but for the most part, that was such a tiny non-story, nobody really gives a shit. The whole state of Ohio in 2004? Now THAT was a story about influence peddling. But I won't derail the thread.

I've come to the ultimate analogy for Barack Obama. A football coach. As our country's football coach, I compare him to a coach who was hired by a college when another coach retired, and this guy got the job over the retired coach's friend.

2 years in, the team is still losing.

And the current coach is saying things like:

"The last coaching staff didn't recruit good players."
"The last coaching staff didn't make the players run and lift weights."
"The last coaching staff allowed players to be lazy."
"The last coaching staff didn't build good facilities to recruit with."
"Yeah, we went 5-6 this year, but it could've been worse."
"We inherited a team that wasn't very good, so you cant expect so much."

Well, just like in football, that doesn't play well with the folks. Obama is in charge now. Blaming the last "coach" no longer cuts it. Is there some adversity from the last "coach"? Yeah, sure. And a lot isn't, a lot is because of Obama and just from new arising problems.

The presidency is just like a college football coach. You get about 6 months to blame the last coach. After that? You're the man. It all falls on you.

Almost 2 full seasons in, and Obama is still blaming the last coach for his losses. Not a winning strategy.

Forum List

Back