17 year old fighting to Repeal Louisiana’s Job Killing Creationism Law

R

rdean

In 2004, while she was in the Minnesota State Senate, Congresswoman Bachmann tried to pass SF 1714, a bill similar to my state’s creationism law, the Louisiana Science Education Act (LSEA), which I’m fighting to repeal. This misnamed and misguided law creates a way to sneak the teaching of creationism into Louisiana public school science classrooms.

The LSEA is hurting my state and the students in it. And now, as the congresswoman is laying the groundwork to run for President, she is upping the ante for the rest of the country by bringing an anti-science, creationist stance to the national stage. Why is this a junk hand for students? Just look at the lessons from Louisiana. Colleges both at home and across the country may question our science education and withhold admission because of our dubious science background. In addition, Louisiana students may lose out on cutting edge science jobs to kids from countries like China and Britain where they teach accurate science and the theory of evolution.

17 Year Old to Michele Bachmann: Show Me Your Nobel Laureate Scientists | Repealing the Louisiana Science Education Act

Forty-two Nobel laureates have backed the repeal of a Louisiana law allowing creationism to be taught in science lessons. They have weighed in to support repeal of the "misguided" Louisiana Science Education Act (LSEA) of 2008, which allows teachers to bring "supplementary materials" of their own choice into science classes to widen debate on science subjects including evolution, cloning and global warming. In the words of the laureates themselves, "this law creates a pathway for creationism and other forms of non-scientific instruction to be taught in public school classrooms".

Short Sharp Science: Nobel laureates support repeal of creationist bill

-----------------------------------------------------

Funny, when you talk to the parents who want "magical creation" taught to their children as "real", the most they want for their children is they don't drink, don't screw and don't get into a car with a drunk driver.

The Supreme court will probably step in at some point and halt it. Thats my guess.

The intentional flooding of 25,000 Americans in Louisiana by the Corps of Engineers may have killed a few jobs but how the hell (pardon the pun) does teaching creationism ...kill jobs? The left is so overwhelmingly filled with hatred for American tradition that they resort to sad convoluted George Soros talking points just to have a hateful post on the forum.

How is it killing jobs?

Real unemployment is close to "what"?

Unemployment among people with science or technology degrees is around "what"?

Are the numbers close together? Or very, very far apart?

I've posted the numbers before. I already know.

Creationist "science" is destroying our countries understanding of science. You cant find accurate links on the web when asking questions about certain things without having to wade through a ton of inaccurate creationist preaching.

Interesting movie:

Academic freedom is being suppressed, says Ben Stein. He contends that professors from around the United States are being fired from their jobs for promoting, or even exploring the possibility of, intelligent design as an alternative to Darwinism. Stein interviews the expelled academics and other supporters of intelligent design. He also interviews the scientists in the mainstream, who support Darwinism. Stein links Darwinism to Nazism, Communism, eugenics and abortion. Vintage clips of educational films and Hollywood movies are used to illustrate points in a satirical way.

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (2008) - IMDb

Of course most academics and liberals will hate it.

Interesting movie:

Academic freedom is being suppressed, says Ben Stein. He contends that professors from around the United States are being fired from their jobs for promoting, or even exploring the possibility of, intelligent design as an alternative to Darwinism. Stein interviews the expelled academics and other supporters of intelligent design. He also interviews the scientists in the mainstream, who support Darwinism. Stein links Darwinism to Nazism, Communism, eugenics and abortion. Vintage clips of educational films and Hollywood movies are used to illustrate points in a satirical way.

I've seen this movie. It's hilarious.

You can watch the entire movie online.

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed | Watch Free Documentary Online

He doesn’t even really talk to them about why Intelligent Design is rejected by the scientific community versus why evolution is taught. He never asks these questions. Michael Ruse, who isn’t even credited during his interview (more sloppy documentary work), proposes a possible life beginning scenario involving crystals. This results in Stein asking him again how it’s possible… after Ruse just told him and results in what can be interpreted as a rude response from Ruse. This style of filming to show scientists as unwilling to entertain the idea of Intelligent Design pushes the viewer to see science as intolerable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real unemployment is close to "what"?

Unemployment among people with science or technology degrees is around "what"?

Are the numbers close together? Or very, very far apart?

I've posted the numbers before. I already know.

Most of those people you are asking about vote Democratic.

Just saying.

You lost me. Most "creationists" are "Democrats"?

That too, but what I was talking about are the unemployed and uneducated people you are looking down on.

Creationist "science" is destroying our countries understanding of science. You cant find accurate links on the web when asking questions about certain things without having to wade through a ton of inaccurate creationist preaching.

Maybe you can't, but I can.

Most of those people you are asking about vote Democratic.

Just saying.

That too, but what I was talking about are the unemployed and uneducated people you are looking down on.

Sorry, you got the wrong guy. It's not me who held millions of unemployed hostage threatening to cut off their unemployment benefits to get ever more tax breaks for millionaires.

It's not me who said the poor are like animals and if you feed them they'll breed.

Not me who called the unemployed "hobos" and said they will use unemployment to "buy drugs".

You have to look to the Republican leadership for all those things. It's not like they are a "secret".

I support education. I think we need work towards making the poor "not poor" and that doesn't mean "give them money".

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime."

Sorry, you got the wrong guy. It's not me who held millions of unemployed hostage threatening to cut off their unemployment benefits to get ever more tax breaks for millionaires.

It's not me who said the poor are like animals and if you feed them they'll breed.

Not me who called the unemployed "hobos" and said they will use unemployment to "buy drugs".

You have to look to the Republican leadership for all those things. It's not like they are a "secret".

I support education. I think we need work towards making the poor "not poor" and that doesn't mean "give them money".

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime."

It is you that wants to raise taxes on them to pay for subsidies for corn ethanol.

You know what, it is actually kind of fun using scare tactics and liberal logic to make points.

Interesting movie:

Absolute crap movie. Dishonest to its core and completely misrepresents the real case that is out there.

Besides that, your OP is also complete crap. There is no ‘job killing’ in the bill and teaching creationism does nothing to kill jobs. As a matter of fact, there are MANY scientists that are creationists as well as hundreds of fields that do not deal with the question of evolution or creation. This thread could be far better of you posted it without the partisan crap so we can discuss the REAL issue that is in the topic, the teaching of creationism in schools as a science course.

To that I would say absolutely not. I am somewhat surprised that it ever became a law in the first place. Looking at it objectively, It seems the law does not allow creationism in the class but instead allows teachers to ‘encourage critical thinking’ through the introduction of ‘supplemental materials.’ I don’t have a problem with that if it is not abused as it is vital that youth are subjected to the conflicts within science. Too often we are taught about the ‘laws’ of science when they don’t really exist. The bigger issue would be why it is only allowed in four subjects: evolution, AGW, cloning, and the origin of life. That gives weight to your assertion that it is political tinkering in education rather than ‘critical thinking.’ I would like to know if this has been used to bring creationism into the class as though it was science or an alternative to evolution though. The law is a few years old and if there is nothing that shows abuse then there is nothing to the premise that the law is bad.

It is you that wants to raise taxes on them to pay for subsidies for corn ethanol.

You know what, it is actually kind of fun using scare tactics and liberal logic to make points.

Right wingers complain about subsidies for "corn ethanol", but want to give tens of billions in subsidies to oil companies. Personally, I'm not a fan of "subsidies", but then, I'm not a hypocrite.

Interesting movie:

Absolute crap movie. Dishonest to its core and completely misrepresents the real case that is out there.

Besides that, your OP is also complete crap. There is no ‘job killing’ in the bill and teaching creationism does nothing to kill jobs. As a matter of fact, there are MANY scientists that are creationists as well as hundreds of fields that do not deal with the question of evolution or creation. This thread could be far better of you posted it without the partisan crap so we can discuss the REAL issue that is in the topic, the teaching of creationism in schools as a science course.

To that I would say absolutely not. I am somewhat surprised that it ever became a law in the first place. Looking at it objectively, It seems the law does not allow creationism in the class but instead allows teachers to ‘encourage critical thinking’ through the introduction of ‘supplemental materials.’ I don’t have a problem with that if it is not abused as it is vital that youth are subjected to the conflicts within science. Too often we are taught about the ‘laws’ of science when they don’t really exist. The bigger issue would be why it is only allowed in four subjects: evolution, AGW, cloning, and the origin of life. That gives weight to your assertion that it is political tinkering in education rather than ‘critical thinking.’ I would like to know if this has been used to bring creationism into the class as though it was science or an alternative to evolution though. The law is a few years old and if there is nothing that shows abuse then there is nothing to the premise that the law is bad.

528-54.gif

528-58.gif

528-64.gif

Section 5: Evolution, Climate Change and Other Issues | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Notice the difference between what the public assumes what scientists think and what they actually think. 60% of the public think that scientists believe in evolution. But in reality, only 2% of scientists DON"T believe in evolution. Just 2%. And those are probably chemists or something else not related to biology, botany, physiology, plate tectonics, astronomy, geology, paleontology, genetics, and so on.

You will never hear it from a left wing radical but this is the greatest Country in the world. Where else can a 17 year old challenge a state law. Go for it and quit whining.

Forum List

Back