150 Years Ago today at the McLean family farm in Appomattox

OldUSAFSniper

Conservative
Aug 8, 2011
Oklahoma
150 years ago, April 9, 1865, General Ulysses S. Grant and General Robert E. Lee met at the McLean family farm house in Appomattox, Virginia. It was at this location where General Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to the Union forces, commanded by General Grant. This signaled the end of the Confederacy.

A sad day in history? A great victory for the union? An affirmation of President Lincoln's views that the union was and is inviolate? And if Pickett's charge at Gettysburg had succeeded, what would have been different?

Being a student of the American Civil War, I cannot help but feel the great sadness felt by many on the side of the south at this defeat. Yet at the same time, I understand and feel the great jubilation felt by the north. A sense of relief felt by all that this massacre and long nightmare was finally over. Or was it?

Please try and refrain from making this an ignorant commentary on some political point that you want to make like in the previous thread by Ravi. Ignorance of the time, the reasons for and the situations of the combatants and participants show only your sad state of intelligence.

Anything planned commemoration wise? Tried to get to Gettysburg for their 150th but boss wouldn't let me off.

Anything planned commemoration wise? Tried to get to Gettysburg for their 150th but boss wouldn't let me off.

That is a shame. I attended many of the events and they did not disappoint. I stayed with family near by b/c to get a hotel near the area proved to be a fool's errand.

That is a shame. I attended many of the events and they did not disappoint. I stayed with family near by b/c to get a hotel near the area proved to be a fool's errand.

I would imagine that the activities will be standing room only. I would especially like to see the re-enactment of the surrender. I would imagine it would be very solemn.

Had a timeshare resort lined up in Shenandoah Valley, was going to hit Gettysburg and be in DC on the 4th,..could get everyday off I asked for except the 3rd which then would negate the holiday pay so didn't go. 3rd rolls around and we were closed. Never been so pissed at my boss.

The question begs to be asked: Does a state have the right to dissolve its ties to a union that it willingly joined in the first place? For the confederacy, the answer was 'yes.' For President Lincoln and the north, the answer was a resounding 'no.' I have heard it asked more than once, if I am truly FREE, can I not leave the same way that I came into this union? As a free man?

I do not know the definitive answer to this. I actually and truly understand both points of view. Still a very sore subject.

150 years ago, April 9, 1865, General Ulysses S. Grant and General Robert E. Lee met at the McLean family farm house in Appomattox, Virginia. It was at this location where General Lee surrendered the Army of Northern Virginia to the Union forces, commanded by General Grant. This signaled the end of the Confederacy.

A sad day in history? A great victory for the union? An affirmation of President Lincoln's views that the union was and is inviolate? And if Pickett's charge at Gettysburg had succeeded, what would have been different?

Being a student of the American Civil War, I cannot help but feel the great sadness felt by many on the side of the south at this defeat. Yet at the same time, I understand and feel the great jubilation felt by the north. A sense of relief felt by all that this massacre and long nightmare was finally over. Or was it?

Please try and refrain from making this an ignorant commentary on some political point that you want to make like in the previous thread by Ravi. Ignorance of the time, the reasons for and the situations of the combatants and participants show only your sad state of intelligence.

One wonders if Lee had taken a different course, and instead of surrendering and urging his men to accept the loss, urged his men to continue the fight in any way possible.

The question begs to be asked: Does a state have the right to dissolve its ties to a union that it willingly joined in the first place? For the confederacy, the answer was 'yes.' For President Lincoln and the north, the answer was a resounding 'no.' I have heard it asked more than once, if I am truly FREE, can I not leave the same way that I came into this union? As a free man?

I do not know the definitive answer to this. I actually and truly understand both points of view. Still a very sore subject.

To me its like most contracts, if it is to be nullified, all parties have to agree to nullify it. In the case of actual contracts, lack of this results in lawsuits and courts figuring it out. When it comes to governments and people, Civil war is the result when one side decides to act unilaterally.

One wonders if Lee had taken a different course, and instead of surrendering and urging his men to accept the loss, urged his men to continue the fight in any way possible.

Marty, unfortunately the confederates were at the end of their rope. Many had not eaten for days and were completely out of ammunition and supplies. General Grant ordered some 26,000 rations given to the Army of Northern Virginia as a condition of surrender. Even if they had resisted, I am afraid it would have been a slaughter of the type not seen since Antietam. One of Lee's generals had asked if they should fight a 'guerrilla war.' Lee replied matter-of-factly 'NO'. In his mind I felt that Lee did not approve of such activities. He was a gentleman and I believe thought that once surrendered, his men should return to their civilian lives. I have never read of Lee approving of any of the holdouts continuing the hostilities like they did in Missouri.

I went and it was very interesting as they re-enacted Pickets charge. Rained like crazy for most of the day

I am going to Appomattox on the 25 th of this month

To me its like most contracts, if it is to be nullified, all parties have to agree to nullify it. In the case of actual contracts, lack of this results in lawsuits and courts figuring it out. When it comes to governments and people, Civil war is the result when one side decides to act unilaterally.

Excellent point! It IS a contract. When the states jointed the union, they petitioned for acceptance. It is binding until nullified by all parties. However, do free men have the right to walk away from a union of this type? Some say yes.

Lee's and the South's big mistake was not fighting a guerrilla war from the beginning. Had they done this they likely would have won, but the war may have been prolonged. Fighting traditional pitched battles against a foe superior in all aspects, is not smart. Lee thought if he could win one big battle, it would end the war. How could he be so foolish and yet be such an outstanding battlefield commander?

I went and it was very interesting as they re-enacted Pickets charge. Rained like crazy for most of the day

I am going to Appomattox on the 25 th of this month

I would LOVE to go. We could discuss the politics of the time and walk over hallowed ground. Perhaps this summer for vacation.

Marty, unfortunately the confederates were at the end of their rope. Many had not eaten for days and were completely out of ammunition and supplies. General Grant ordered some 26,000 rations given to the Army of Northern Virginia as a condition of surrender. Even if they had resisted, I am afraid it would have been a slaughter of the type not seen since Antietam. One of Lee's generals had asked if they should fight a 'guerrilla war.' Lee replied matter-of-factly 'NO'. In his mind I felt that Lee did not approve of such activities. He was a gentleman and I believe thought that once surrendered, his men should return to their civilian lives. I have never read of Lee approving of any of the holdouts continuing the hostilities like they did in Missouri.

I agree the ANV was in no condition to continue, but there were other formations that could have pressed on without Lee's surrender and view of ending the fight. No word from Lee, or even worse, words that indicated that the fight should go on would have doomed the South to a harsh occupation.

Ironically I wonder if this would have actually led to less race issues today than we current have (or had from the 1880's to the 1970's)

I think Grant showed great compassion to Lee and his men. He allowed them to keep their weapons and horses and fed them

Lincoln was assassinated less than a week later. I don't think Lee would have received such favorable terms if he had fought for another week

Lincolnmemorial.jpg

Forum List

Back