12yo boy 'public shaming' for profanity

When my son was in 3rd grade, I kept getting called out to the school every couple of weeks because because he was "disruptive".

After about the 4th time, I picked him up from the office and took him to his class.

I made him apologize to his entire class then gave him gave him 3 swats on the butt in front of the class.

He was never disruptive again.

Used to be that little kids went through a potty mouth stage and would titter and giggle at saying forbidden words. But, all kids repeat what they hear at home and even though 'a family friend says he wasn't raised this way', this sounds a bit more more serious than a child's potty mouth.

OTOH, I disagree with public humiliation of a child or of hitting a child in public, especially in front of his peers. No excuse for doing that to a little kid.

"If you can stand up and talk like a man, you need to take your punishment like a man,” Marcha said.

He's not a man and he's repeating the words he heard from others who were not real men (adults) either.

... Love to see a section here though for such potty-mouths. A "I can't make my point unless I use profanity" section.

Yeah, makes one wonder what their kids hear every day.

12 is old enough to know right from wrong. So yes, he is accountable and is fully capable of understanding what he did.

With that said, I would never humiliate my kid in that fashion. Nor would I swat his behind in front of all his peers. I would THREATEN to, but I wouldn't.

Come to think of it..I never had to threaten him for anything. Oh. Wait. I did once when he was 18 and taller than me. But that is not for a message board and archivers.

Family friend makes 12-year-old boy hold sign for 'cussing' at teacher | khou.com Houston

Reminds me of public square stockades in Puritan times. While I support the idea in principle, in the case of a 12yo, he isn't yet at the age of accountability so it's kinda a gray area. Love to see a section here though for such potty-mouths. A "I can't make my point unless I use profanity" section. :)

There was a time in history, not too long ago, when 12 year olds were perfectly accountable and necessary to ensure the family didn't starve to death. What times we live in when people think they aren't accountable enough to be shamed in public.

If my son or grandson cursed a teacher, the boy would be doing far greater penance than just holding a sign.

A friend of mine has his student's mother arrested for saying "I will kill you" when he disciplined her son. Led out in handcuffs for a terroristic threat.

The right stuff.

Used to be that little kids went through a potty mouth stage and would titter and giggle at saying forbidden words. But, all kids repeat what they hear at home and even though 'a family friend says he wasn't raised this way', this sounds a bit more more serious than a child's potty mouth.

OTOH, I disagree with public humiliation of a child or of hitting a child in public, especially in front of his peers. No excuse for doing that to a little kid.
"If you can stand up and talk like a man, you need to take your punishment like a man,” Marcha said.

He's not a man and he's repeating the words he heard from others who were not real men (adults) either.

... Love to see a section here though for such potty-mouths. A "I can't make my point unless I use profanity" section.

When you have children, you can raise them the way you want. I found that I had less problems with mine if his friends knew that he was being punished and why.

My son never had to go to court or be talked to by the police. He was never expelled from school or kicked out of a class after that. A little public humilation prevented a lot of problems later.

Just as another example... I came home from work one night to find one of his friend's truck parked in my spot. They knew I was on my way home as it is my habit to text them that.

I parked my truck right behind his, locked it up, and went inside. A half hour later, I went to bed.

The next morning I got up and found his friend asleep on the couch and a note on the table apologizing for parking in my spot. They never did that again.

12 is old enough to know right from wrong. So yes, he is accountable and is fully capable of understanding what he did.

With that said, I would never humiliate my kid in that fashion. Nor would I swat his behind in front of all his peers. I would THREATEN to, but I wouldn't.

Come to think of it..I never had to threaten him for anything. Oh. Wait. I did once when he was 18 and taller than me. But that is not for a message board and archivers.
Absolutely. If a child is mature enough to be charged with a crime as young as 10, then a 12 year old should surely be held accountable for using foul language at school.

I think it depends on the child and their history...if they've had previous outbursts and other punishments haven't worked, well then at least the parent is taking the initiative to give a damn and want to prompt the kid to be more respectful. I don't find it abusive, and maybe kids could use a little bit more shaming if it will make them think before they act...never threaten unless you are fully prepared to follow through. BTW, I don't agree that a kid with a potty mouth must have picked it up from home...between peers, television, movies, music, etc. it is so much more prevalent for kids to be exposed and desensitized to that sort of language in our modern society.

Last edited:
I agree.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. If I ever have kids and they misbehave, I will either tell them that there will be consequences if they do not quit or I may just pull the rug right out from underneath their feet by having their punishment be something that they did not see coming when they do not stop doing what I tell them to quit doing. Approaching the situation like that could be what makes them remember better what could be in store for them if they were to ever consider doing or saying certain things again later on. :) :) :)

Last edited:
Family friend makes 12-year-old boy hold sign for 'cussing' at teacher | khou.com Houston

Reminds me of public square stockades in Puritan times. While I support the idea in principle, in the case of a 12yo, he isn't yet at the age of accountability so it's kinda a gray area. Love to see a section here though for such potty-mouths. A "I can't make my point unless I use profanity" section. :)

It's kind of odd that nowhere in the story does anyone divulge what the kid said. I looked up several other stories on the same thing, and none of them did either. We're just supposed to take their word for it I guess.

Wonder why that is.

When you have children, you can raise them the way you want. I found that I had less problems with mine if his friends knew that he was being punished and why.

My son never had to go to court or be talked to by the police. He was never expelled from school or kicked out of a class after that. A little public humilation prevented a lot of problems later.

Just as another example... I came home from work one night to find one of his friend's truck parked in my spot. They knew I was on my way home as it is my habit to text them that.

I parked my truck right behind his, locked it up, and went inside. A half hour later, I went to bed.

The next morning I got up and found his friend asleep on the couch and a note on the table apologizing for parking in my spot. They never did that again.

For some reason that story reminds me of one about Thelonious Monk.

Monk was playing in some club with his quartet. At the end of a set they took a break. "Twenty minutes" Monk told the band.

Twenty minutes later Monk was back at his piano for the second set, so were the bass and sax. No drummer. Drummer had slipped next door to the strip club. Monk said nothing, just waited. Another fifteen minutes, in came the drummer out of breath. Monk went right into the tune.

At the logical time, Monk took his solo for 12 bars, then the sax took his, then the bass solo, and now it was time for the drummer to take one. As he started, Monk motioned to the bass and sax to get up and follow him. The three of them walked outside the club, and stood there for an hour, leaving the drummer to come up with a full hour's worth of drumming. Without the band he had no exit. Finally after sixty torturous minutes they walked back in and resumed the tune to let him off the hook.

That drummer was never late again.

You're lucky he didn't hotline you as a child molester...or spike your dinner with rat poison.

In most countries and cultures by the age of 12 or 13 a child is considered an adult and expected to behave as an adult.

Only in the west do we have the artificial limbo known as the teenage years.

Where nothing is expected of our youth and responsibility is considered too much for their delicate psyche's to process. ... :cuckoo:

Hard labor works wonders on kids. I wouldn't go the embarrassment route but there would be hell to pay. My favorite is picking the carpet clean with just your fingers. its amazing how much lint you can find in a carpet!

In Jewish culture, 13's the age of adulthood for boys (12 for girls.) I agree with the 'limbo teenaged' years thing. I think it's that we infantilize everyone in our culture postponing accountability and maturity well into the 20s.

My only reservation holding the boy responsible is that it's a non-relative putting him out there with a sign. Though his mother went along with it, it isn't for a non-relative to punish some father's son. There's any number of variables in play that might account for his behaviour. Like his absent father and/or divorced parents, and the role this new man is playing at home upsurping his own father assuming that role. Acting out under that sort of situation, such behaviour makes more sense and punishing it with public shaming isn't appropriate or constructive. Should be punished certainly, but not by the one likely responsible for the acting out in the first place.

When my son was in 3rd grade, I kept getting called out to the school every couple of weeks because because he was "disruptive".

After about the 4th time, I picked him up from the office and took him to his class.

I made him apologize to his entire class then gave him gave him 3 swats on the butt in front of the class.

He was never disruptive again.

Good for you. That would be my choice as well.

Imo the biggest reason for folks (including kids) using profanity is that they lack a decent education and vocabulary.. Iow, they're too dumb to know the difference.

Think a big part of the reason for all the profanity nowadays is reality tv shows with lots of it. Though it gets bleeped it isn't difficult to riddle what got bleeped. So if children's idols are on reality shows, and they're cussing all the time, their fans will adopt that mode of speech.

Sounds like a future school shooting waiting to happen. This kid will want retribution at some point in his life.

Forum List

Back