12yo boy 'public shaming' for profanity

Kids don't swear in my class.
They're punished if they do and they know it.
However, I explain the reasons to them the first time and, if they apologise to the class, I don't send them out.
One little bastard refused to stop and he refused to leave the room when ordered so I picked him up, still sitting in his chair, and carried him out.
It's unacceptable and they have to know it.

However, I explain the reasons to them the first time and, if they apologise to the class, I don't send them out.
One little bastard refused to stop and he refused to leave the room when ordered so I picked him up, still sitting in his chair, and carried him out.

This is kind of why I was looking for detail. You say "swear" and the article says "cuss" (curse), yet the thread title says "profanity". They're different things. I still wonder why nobody has any idea what the kid actually said, and why we're all supposed to just take the teacher's word for it that "something" occurred.

When my son was in 3rd grade, I kept getting called out to the school every couple of weeks because because he was "disruptive".

After about the 4th time, I picked him up from the office and took him to his class.

I made him apologize to his entire class then gave him gave him 3 swats on the butt in front of the class.

He was never disruptive again.
That reminds me of a similar scenario that happened to me, however it was the school principle that set me straight.

I used to have issues waking up in the morning in senior high school. I was often late, and the principle would occasionally yell at me. I was not 5 minutes late, but usually 2 to 3 hours late. The punishment was detention. Afterwards, the principle would suspend me if I were late more than 3 times in once week. I thought that this was great since I'd be getting a holiday from school. After a few suspensions, the principle decided to instead keep me after school every day for a month. I was warned that if the pattern continued, I would wind up staying after school every day till the end of the year. I bought myself an alarm clock. No more being late.

In my case, the threat of extreme punishment (staying after school for the rest of the school year) was enough to set me straight.

This is kind of why I was looking for detail. You say "swear" and the article says "cuss" (curse), yet the thread title says "profanity". They're different things. I still wonder why nobody has any idea what the kid actually said, and why we're all supposed to just take the teacher's word for it that "something" occurred.

To curse may mean to swear or to wish harm.
Profanity just means using bad language.
Swear can mean to take an oath or to use bad language.

Basically, you're trying to use a crap argument to defend this kid.
Here's the thing - The teacher has to control the class so, if that teacher is undermined, the kids will run wild and learn nothing.
School is about learning how to cope in the real world and, in that place, using bad language tends to lose opportunities and leave you poorer than you could have been.
(Unless you're Quentin Tarantino)

Here's the thing - The teacher has to control the class so, if that teacher is undermined, the kids will run wild and learn nothing.
School is about learning how to cope in the real world and, in that place, using bad language tends to lose opportunities and leave you poorer than you could have been.

"Defend" this kid?
Where?

I just want a whole story. I'm not satisfied with a third- or fourth-hand partial regeneration.

How can I "defend" if I don't know what he said? And why can't anyone tell us? Don't you find that a bit odd?

"Defend" this kid?
Where?

I just want a whole story. I'm not satisfied with a third- or fourth-hand partial regeneration.

How can I "defend" if I don't know what he said? And why can't anyone tell us? Don't you find that a bit odd?

There is no reason to bother.
This is simple.
The kid said a bad word in class.
The teacher punished the kid.
Some idiot didn't like it.

Tough.

Used to be that little kids went through a potty mouth stage and would titter and giggle at saying forbidden words. But, all kids repeat what they hear at home and even though 'a family friend says he wasn't raised this way', this sounds a bit more more serious than a child's potty mouth.

OTOH, I disagree with public humiliation of a child or of hitting a child in public, especially in front of his peers. No excuse for doing that to a little kid.
"If you can stand up and talk like a man, you need to take your punishment like a man,” Marcha said.

He's not a man and he's repeating the words he heard from others who were not real men (adults) either.

... Love to see a section here though for such potty-mouths. A "I can't make my point unless I use profanity" section.

Yeah, makes one wonder what their kids hear every day.

When you have children, you can raise them the way you want. I found that I had less problems with mine if his friends knew that he was being punished and why.

My son never had to go to court or be talked to by the police. He was never expelled from school or kicked out of a class after that. A little public humilation prevented a lot of problems later.

Just as another example... I came home from work one night to find one of his friend's truck parked in my spot. They knew I was on my way home as it is my habit to text them that.

I parked my truck right behind his, locked it up, and went inside. A half hour later, I went to bed.

The next morning I got up and found his friend asleep on the couch and a note on the table apologizing for parking in my spot. They never did that again.

Nice work, let them learn life lessons while they are affordable. It helps them make good decisions later on.

"Defend" this kid?
Where?

There is no reason to bother.
This is simple.
The kid said a bad word in class.
The teacher punished the kid.
Some idiot didn't like it.

Tough.

Kind of a unilateral declaration, seems to me. If it was a "bad word", why can't anybody just spit it out and say what it was? If there's 'no reason to bother', then why is there a reason to give us a partial story without telling what's behind it? I dunno, hope you never serve on a jury with that attitude...

Who is "some idiot"? :dunno:

Last edited:
This is what I got when I used bad language as a boy. Worked real good.

Ralphies-soap.jpeg

Family friend makes 12-year-old boy hold sign for 'cussing' at teacher | khou.com Houston

Reminds me of public square stockades in Puritan times. While I support the idea in principle, in the case of a 12yo, he isn't yet at the age of accountability so it's kinda a gray area. Love to see a section here though for such potty-mouths. A "I can't make my point unless I use profanity" section. :)

I'm guessing that kid's got some serious problems...including anger issues.

Family friend makes 12-year-old boy hold sign for 'cussing' at teacher | khou.com Houston

Reminds me of public square stockades in Puritan times. While I support the idea in principle, in the case of a 12yo, he isn't yet at the age of accountability so it's kinda a gray area. Love to see a section here though for such potty-mouths. A "I can't make my point unless I use profanity" section. :)

Public shaming and stockades are vastly different.

And this is more about admitting your faults, coming clean. The public is doing nothing to "shame" him -- he's owning his faults.

Forum List

Back