10 plants that are poisonous to dogs

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
10 plants that are poisonous to dogs

(Mother Nature Network) -- It's often said that the way to a dog's heart is through its stomach.

That may be true, but the combination of a voracious appetite, natural curiosity and indiscriminate taste can lead to trouble for our canine companions. Plants that are poisonous to dogs can be found in our homes, our yards and in the wild, and sometimes all it takes is a little bite to lead to an emergency trip to the veterinarian.

These 10 plants are among the most toxic to dogs, and you can find a full list with photos at ASPCA.org, the website of the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

10 plants that are poisonous to dogs - CNN.com

• Banned
There were a few that I didn't know were harmful. Like grapes for instance. I also planted daffodils and lilly bulbs. Hopefully they will stay out of them,or I may have to replant them somewhere else.

I've been around dogs all my life and have not known any to eat daffodils or lily bulbs. In fact, three of the dogs I currently work with/around will eat almost anything but though there are numerous daffodils and lilies around them, they don't even give them a sniff.

It was nice to see that the old wives' tale of poinsettias being poisonous wasn't repeated here.

• Banned
We used to have a basset hound that would eat anything. Infact ,he ate my rose bushes and several shrubs....they must not have been poisonous. ;)

The two dogs I have now usually are pretty good about staying out of things.

Cashew, macadamia, Brazil nuts ( ****** toes) and most other nuts are toxic.Peanuts are safe.
Onions are potentially toxic.
There are all sorts of things but smart dogs leave them alone. This farm is slap full of toxic plants but no problems.I suppose if they weren't well fed twice a day problems could show up.
My bulldog ate a joint one day. He was buzzed for a whole day. Lucky guy !

Macadamia Nuts.

Turkey Skin (they cant digest it once cooked).

Poultry bones or ANY bones that have been cooked. Raw, they dont splinter, which is why they can be eaten in the wild by dogs. But once fried, cooked, barbequed or whatever...brittle and dangerous.

Onions. Not sure about this one, so you might wanna check.

Forum List

Back