$10/hr fast food joint wildly successful

But the biggest difference between Boloco and other fast food spots is the salary earned by employees. Pay begins at $9 an hour and goes up to $17 an hour for managers.
Min wage:
VT = $8.60/hour
MA = $8.00/hour
DC = $8.25/hour

Is the chain with employees starting at $9 really doing anything amazing on the fast food payscale?

And for managers $17 an hour is low. I know McDonald managers that make $55,000 a year plus bonuses.

Not in our area. Pay commensurates with population and sales. Here 24k is the best you will get.

If they are not successful, then their formula is not working. Then they need to figure out a new formula, otherwise, they go out of business.

How can a business be "wildly successful" losing money?

17% profit is close to the industry average but-----but keep dissing American entrepreneurs and labor, it reminds of us just what the Republican party represents -pewsh!-

Are you implying that you think every corporate and/or franchise fast food restaurant is profitable?

The Best Fast Food Chain To Work For?

< snip>

Doing 'right' means lower profits
Pepper conceded he isn't yet consistently reaching profit margins of 20 percent or higher, which many other fast food chains have. On average, his company is closer making a 17 percent profit a year, he said. But he is happy with that, and he says his restaurants have seen an increase in same-store sales every year since the chain's inception, save for 2003 and 2009. And he believes his model will "one day mean higher profits," he confirmed by e-mail.

Turnover is also much lower, thanks to the higher wages.
The restaurant industry as a whole however, experienced a turnover rate of 95 percent for hourly workers back in 2011, as the industry magazine QSR reported.His turnover last year was about 64 percent. "Turnover is expensive and we are able to avoid some of it."

<snip>

But-----but $10 bucks an hour ain't even keeping up.

Over the past 50 years, the minimum wage has seen little to no growth as worker productivity has surged. In fact, if the minimum wage kept pace with increases in worker productivity, it would now stand at $21.72 per hour.

The thing about low wage workers, they aren't very productive.

Hey McDonald's! This Fast Food Restaurant Pays Employees $10 An Hour And Is Wildly Successful -

Boloco is a Boston-based burrito place with 23 locations in New England from Burlington, VT down to Washington, D.C., with most in and around Boston. If you go to Yelp, you’ll see mostly 4-star reviews of its burrito and smoothie menu. It’s very popular among the college crowd, which CEO John Pepper has taken advantage of with many outlets near New England universities. The story of what began as Under Wraps in 1997 is one of good business based on healthy food and treating employees well. Some of the highlights over the years include:

Adding a smaller-sized burrito despite the negative effect on profitability, which now regularly outsells the large size.
Offering Health Insurance to all full-time and most part-time employees.
Offering a Simple IRA plan for all full-time and most part-time employees.
Rounding after tax prices to end with a “5&#8243; or “0&#8243; to eliminate pennies, saving time.
Offering English and Spanish Berlitz lessons to facilitate employee communications.
Putting a moratorium on new locations until current ones become profitable.
Making employees eligible for performance-based bonus plans.
Offering a dental plan to all full-time and most part-time employees.
Regular donations of $20,000 per year to a community food bank.
Instituting a speaker series for management.
Going green with all-natural meats, organic cotton uniforms, recycling, replacing Styrofoam cups
Hiring a company artist and hanging his paintings of local areas in stores. (source)

But the biggest difference between Boloco and other fast food spots is the salary earned by employees. Pay begins at $9 an hour and goes up to $17 an hour for managers. The average salary at Boloco is $10 an hour. That’s around $3 more than most places.

Read more: Hey McDonald's! This Fast Food Restaurant Pays Employees $10 An Hour And Is Wildly Successful -
When did it become acceptable for employers to shit on their help? And, why? What does it get for them?

Cool artwork at the link.

I wonder what they charge for food items.

It turns out that the cheapest item on their menu is $4 with a $2 bottle of water. For that much money I could feed 4 people at McDonald's.

I can't wait for Star to explain how burger flippers have increased productivity over the last 50 years. Bigger spatulas? You flippin' dem buggars 2 oh tree ada time?

10 whole dollars an hour eh? LOL, it's great to be intelligent and have an intelligent job that makes 4 times that awful wage. Is my burger ready yet Nettle?

It turns out that the cheapest item on their menu is $4 with a $2 bottle of water. For that much money I could feed 4 people at McDonald's.

Add guacamole $1.73

Please Enable Cookies

Money quote "Yes, a Boloco burrito costs more than a Big Mac but customers who value the fresh, organic ingredients and compostable/recyclable containers are willing to pay that extra amount."

Add guacamole $1.73

Please Enable Cookies

Money quote "Yes, a Boloco burrito costs more than a Big Mac but customers who value the fresh, organic ingredients and compostable/recyclable containers are willing to pay that extra amount."

And the customers that don't want pretension with their food eat at the Mama Maria's, and get real food.

Last edited:
WILDLY, it's wildy, so frikken what?

you people go open a business and pay your employees $50 hour if you want

it's none of your business what others pay

you libs always have your nose into everyone's lives...and this big news on some site called, addictinginfo

shallow and petty,

Last edited:
IN SEPTEMER 1963, minmum wage per hours brought you 5 silver quarters... $1.25

Do you know what those 5 (junk quality) silver quarters are worth now?

$1 Face 90% SILVER WASHINGTON QUARTER LOTS NO JUNK UNITED STATES COINS 1932-1964 on eBay!

about $31.00

So basically that means that minimum wage' now pays about 1/4 what it once did.

No, it means the value of silver is higher now and the value of those quarters is higher because silver quarters are no longer produced.

This article is hilarious. They include MGR salaries with the hourly workers to boost the average up $1. That means for every manager making $17/hr there are 16 making $9...heheh. Why don't they include the salaries of the CEO and other officers so they can boost the average employee salary up another $2-3?

I don't trust fibbers and spinners and this article is full of both.

BTW - Right now Boston is debating and voting on whether to increase it's min wage to $9 immediately and then to $11 by 2015. This article is just a piece of PR/adv/marketing they paid someone to write.

How can they be wildly successful if the very article extolling their virtues says they aren't profitable?

Don't mean to be a jerk, but I don't think this is a great comparison...

For starters, you're comparing a private company with a public one. The two are bound by a set of very different forces.

Secondly, I'm no expert but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that McDonald's business model is likely quite a bit different than Boloco's. You're not comparing apples with apples.

Finally, the McDonald's strikers were asking for $15/hr, which is much higher than $10.

Anyways, just my two cents..

Interesting guy and idea...“Fast food hasn’t been very good to the people who work in fast food,” Pepper said.

So with his Boston-based chain, which has outposts in downtown Washington and Bethesda, Pepper has tried to build a more welcoming workplace by relying heavily on suggestions from rank-and-file employees. Pepper and his regional managers hear these recommendations at regular leadership retreats, where they invite local team leaders — entry-level managers who typically make $12-14 per hour — to share their thoughts.

“The whole point is giving people a voice so it’s not like corporate deciding this is what you should value,” he said.

Over the years, a number of changes have arisen from these sessions. For example, representatives from the Washington area restaurants mentioned that their teams didn’t have a nice spot to go when they were on break during their shifts. Often, they were stuck simply grabbing a table in the dining area, which didn’t feel like much of a respite.

So Boloco outfitted those stores with “relaxation lounges,” private break rooms that contain flat screen televisions, reclining chairs and chalk boards for doodling."

Boloco tries to put a different spin on the fast-food workplace - Washington Post

10 whole dollars an hour eh? LOL, it's great to be intelligent and have an intelligent job that makes 4 times that awful wage. Is my burger ready yet Nettle?

The Boloco chain has some restaurants that aren't quite up to par but-----but 17% profit is only barely below industry average and-----and if you are only making $40 bucks an hour, you are just barely making more than the $70K minimum-----minimum salary a Boloco manager is earning and-----and Boloco workers get a $50 per month transportation budget and-----and Boloco restaurants have relaxation lounges for their employees and-----and Boloco employees are offered subsidized tuition and-----and Health insurance made available to all full-time and most hourly employees and-----and as a result, Boloco's employee turnover rate is about 30% lower than industry average - cool huh?

Boloco, a Boston-based burrito chain, pays entry-level floor workers $9 to $10 an hour, with some veteran workers make up to $17 an hour. And as of this year, the minimum starting salary for a restaurant manager is $70,000 a year. The cost of the meals are in line with other fast-food chains, too, running from $4 to $7.Business is thriving, with 464 employees and 21 outlets sprinkled from Washington D.C. to Rhode Island.

This article is hilarious. They include MGR salaries with the hourly workers to boost the average up $1. That means for every manager making $17/hr there are 16 making $9...heheh. Why don't they include the salaries of the CEO and other officers so they can boost the average employee salary up another $2-3?

I don't trust fibbers and spinners and this article is full of both.

BTW - Right now Boston is debating and voting on whether to increase it's min wage to $9 immediately and then to $11 by 2015. This article is just a piece of PR/adv/marketing they paid someone to write.

That means for every manager making $17/hr there are 7 making $9...heheh.

Forum List

Back