$10/hr fast food joint wildly successful

Hey McDonald's! This Fast Food Restaurant Pays Employees $10 An Hour And Is Wildly Successful -

When did it become acceptable for employers to shit on their help? And, why? What does it get for them?

Cool artwork at the link.

And check out their prices. $8 for a life is good burrito, and guacamole costs an extra $1.26. Also, another surcharge if one wants all white meat chicken ($1.26).

It's not comparable to McDs.

Really? -- are you just another in the long line-----in the long line of Google challenged rightwingers? Learning how to use Google ain't that hard but-----but you... you might want to take a class.

McDonalds flagship meal, the Big Mac is $7.96 in Boston, MA.

That is for a complete Big Mac meal. Can you not comprehend the difference between a meal with a Big Mac, fries and a coke and just a burrito?
I find it very tough to believe that you are this stupid, either that or you lie intentionally and twist facts to fit win an argument. Fortunately most people are smarter than you and your slimy tactics.

Maybe basic a basic English class would help you.

And check out their prices. $8 for a life is good burrito, and guacamole costs an extra $1.26. Also, another surcharge if one wants all white meat chicken ($1.26).

Really? -- are you just another in the long line-----in the long line of Google challenged rightwingers? Learning how to use Google ain't that hard but-----but you... you might want to take a class.

You sad little booby. That is for a full meal including fries and a beverage...not just a burrito.

Personally, I wouldn't eat either. A bunch of rice and beans in a tortilla shell is just a bunch of fattening carbs...as is much of McDs. And pretending the former is virtuous because the owners pay above market wages is stupid.

I like the idea of organic and I'd eat there if it was to taste good, I usually prefer making my own at home. Pulled pork burritos are really tasty. The rice and beans...not so much.

Star has made three idiotic posts in this thread and has failed in each post, so badly, that, Star can't even defend their position and has to go to the next lie.

McDonald's in Boston pay $8-$10 per hour, so I see not much difference.

If this restaurant can find a niche in the market, more power to them, but for liberal nuts to some how think this is some kind of wonder restaurant that is on the brink of paying employees at the cost of profits...no way.

That is for a complete Big Mac meal. Can you not comprehend the difference between a meal with a Big Mac, fries and a coke and just a burrito?
I find it very tough to believe that you are this stupid, either that or you lie intentionally and twist facts to fit win an argument. Fortunately most people are smarter than you and your slimy tactics.

"just a burrito?"

It seems to me only fat people, children and McDonald's ad agency would call a McDonalds combo, a meal but-----but I'm concerned for the health and mental health of the righties on this thread, it seems righties don't recognize that to build a healthy, organic burrito, you start with a tortilla, add meat, cheese, veggies, beans, rice and-----and other stuff of your choice. for example; if I were ordering a "Life Is Good" Boloco Burrito, my organic steak and organic fajita vegetables and organic... organic other stuff would look something like --

1x Life Is Good Burrito $8.00
[ edit | remove ]
Original Size BURRITO, Wheat Tortilla, Add Grilled Steak, Add Extra Fajita Vegetables, Add Caramelized Onions, Add Romaine Lettuce, Add Carrots, Add Celery, Add Cucumbers, Add Broccoli, Add Pinto Beans, Add Habanero Salsa, Add Tomato Salsa, Add Sour Cream, Add Jack/Cheddar Cheese, Add Sliced Tomatoes, Add Spicy Mayo, Add Olives, Add Boloco Rice
SUB TOTAL
$8.00
COUPON
-$0.00
TAX
$0.56
TOTAL
$8.56

OTOH if you're like the rightwingers on this thread, and you think a Big Mac combo is a meal then
enjoy-----enjoy your "Two all-beef patties, mystery sauce, lettuce, cheese-like product, pickles, onions – on a white flour sesame seed bun", that is if-----if you like fat, calories and cottage cheese thighs

But-----but back to the subject... If McDonald's doubled wages for all employees, including CEO Don Thompson [$9 million], Big Macs would cost 68 cents more, increasing from $3.99 to $4.67, reports Caroline Fairchild at The Huffington Post.

Dollar Menu items would cost 17 cents more, according to HuffPo.

Fairchild cites a University of Kansas researcher, who crunched numbers to see what would happen if McDonald's doubled the salary of every employee then passed that cost on entirely to consumers.

Only 17% of McDonald's revenue goes toward salary and benefits, according to the report.

That means that the company could increase wages without passing that cost to consumers, and simply make a smaller profit.

McDonald's CEO Don Thompson told Bloomberg TV last week that the company is an “above minimum-wage employer.”

McDonald's pays an average hourly wage of $7.81, according to Glassdoor. This puts it just above the national average of about $7.50.

"just a burrito?"

It seems to me only fat people, children and McDonald's ad agency would call a McDonalds combo, a meal but-----but I'm concerned for the health and mental health of the righties on this thread, it seems righties don't recognize that to build a healthy, organic burrito, you start with a tortilla, add meat, cheese, veggies, beans, rice and-----and other stuff of your choice. for example; if I were ordering a "Life Is Good" Boloco Burrito, my organic steak and organic fajita vegetables and organic... organic other stuff would look something like --

[ edit | remove ]
Original Size BURRITO, Wheat Tortilla, Add Grilled Steak, Add Extra Fajita Vegetables, Add Caramelized Onions, Add Romaine Lettuce, Add Carrots, Add Celery, Add Cucumbers, Add Broccoli, Add Pinto Beans, Add Habanero Salsa, Add Tomato Salsa, Add Sour Cream, Add Jack/Cheddar Cheese, Add Sliced Tomatoes, Add Spicy Mayo, Add Olives, Add Boloco Rice
SUB TOTAL
$8.00
COUPON
-$0.00
TAX
$0.56
TOTAL
$8.56

OTOH if you're like the rightwingers on this thread, and you think a Big Mac combo is a meal then
enjoy-----enjoy your "Two all-beef patties, mystery sauce, lettuce, cheese-like product, pickles, onions – on a white flour sesame seed bun", that is if-----if you like fat, calories and cottage cheese thighs

But-----but back to the subject... If McDonald's doubled wages for all employees, including CEO Don Thompson [$9 million], Big Macs would cost 68 cents more, increasing from $3.99 to $4.67, reports Caroline Fairchild at The Huffington Post.

Fairchild cites a University of Kansas researcher, who crunched numbers to see what would happen if McDonald's doubled the salary of every employee then passed that cost on entirely to consumers.

Only 17% of McDonald's revenue goes toward salary and benefits, according to the report.

That means that the company could increase wages without passing that cost to consumers, and simply make a smaller profit.

McDonald's CEO Don Thompson told Bloomberg TV last week that the company is an “above minimum-wage employer.”

McDonald's pays an average hourly wage of $7.81, according to Glassdoor. This puts it just above the national average of about $7.50.

Good grief, no one said it wasn't healthier, you are the one who tried to equate a burrito to the Big Mac meal, not anyone else, everyone else pointed out how ridiculous you were and now you try to hang your hat on it. Talk about more twisting and turning of facts. The question I have with all your BS that you keep trying to spin is, are you trying to convince us or yourself?

As far as wages, to be fair, we are talking in like markets, Boloco is only in a few select, areas. So lets compare apples to apples. Again, you are trying to be dishonest in your spin.

Like I say all along, I don't eat McDonalds, I don't like fast food, it is not healthy. Boloco looks like it may be healthier and if they can find a niche, more power to them.

I just don't see why you feel compelled to keep lying about them and twisting facts.

I look forward to your next spin.

this wonderful restaurant cares so much for the workers, because, sniff sniff fast food hasn't been KIND to them... but doesn't give a crap the poor people, (actually that was probably their goal) won't be coming to their high and mighty place, they can't AFFORD the price of fikken hamburger

now some would call that, wildly successful I suppose

Last edited:

"just a burrito?"

[ edit | remove ]
SUB TOTAL
$8.00
COUPON
-$0.00
TAX
$0.56
TOTAL
$8.56

Fairchild cites a University of Kansas researcher,

Errors in McDonald's Wage Analysis

On Monday, The Huffington Post published a story entitled "Doubling McDonald's Salaries Would Cause Your Big Mac To Cost Just 68¢ More." HuffPost has since learned that the research used as the basis of the story contains significant errors that cast doubts on its claims. This story has replaced the one originally published in this space.

The story drew on data presented by Arnobio Morelix, an undergraduate student from The University Of Kansas who identified himself as a researcher for the school. In an interview, Morelix told the HuffPost that only 17.1 percent of McDonald's revenue goes toward salaries and benefits, meaning that for every dollar McDonald's earns, a little more than 17 cents goes toward the income and benefits of its employees.

However, as the Columbia Journalism Review subsequently noted, Morelix's analysis only takes into account the payroll and employee benefits of McDonald's company-operated stores while excluding franchise businesses. Prior to publication, HuffPost asked Morelix if his analysis included franchises and he said it did. He later conceded it did not. McDonald's franchises make up more than 80 percent of McDonald's restaurants worldwide. This means that a majority of the payroll and employee benefits of McDonald's workers are not included in Morelix's findings.

A typical fast-food restaurant spends 30 to 35 percent of its income on labor, according to a recent release from the Employment Policies Institute, a research organization whose work is often cited by those who argue against increasing the minimum wage. The institute estimates that small-business owners who run McDonald's franchises spend about a third of their income on wages, which would mean the price of a Big Mac would go up by $1.28 to $5.27.

A doubling of wages at McDonald's would almost certainly involve some layoffs, asserts Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research and a HuffPost blogger. At the same time, more workers would stay in their jobs longer, Baker added.

Experts generally assume that roughly one-third of the cost of increased wages gets passed on to consumers, with much of the rest of cutting into profits, Baker said. Regardless, McDonald’s is so vast and lucrative that it could easily survive a major wage increase, Baker added.

“The idea that it’d put McDonald’s out of business, there’d be no way,” said Baker.

By the reckoning of Bonnie Riggs, a restaurant industry analyst at market information and advisory firm the NPD Group, a doubling of wages for all McDonald's workers is "not even in the realm of feasibility." With fewer and fewer Americans eating out at restaurants due to factors like the payroll tax hike and increases in gas prices, Riggs said restaurants like McDonald's are trying to discount prices as much as possible to get customers through the door. This means the company's profit margins could not withstand a labor cost increase of this magnitude, she added.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

"just a burrito?"

[ edit | remove ]
SUB TOTAL
$8.00
COUPON
-$0.00
TAX
$0.56
TOTAL
$8.56

A burrito isn't a meal. I go to Moe's frequently and order the burrito, chips, and a drink.

While I agree that a burrito usually is better than a Big Mac, the fact remains that you aren't comparing similar items.

Last edited:

You sure do call a lot of posters stupid. You must have a really high IQ.

"just a burrito?"

[ edit | remove ]
SUB TOTAL
$8.00
COUPON
-$0.00
TAX
$0.56
TOTAL
$8.56

Fairchild cites a University of Kansas researcher,

On Monday, The Huffington Post published a story entitled "Doubling McDonald's Salaries Would Cause Your Big Mac To Cost Just 68¢ More." HuffPost has since learned that the research used as the basis of the story contains significant errors that cast doubts on its claims. This story has replaced the one originally published in this space.

The story drew on data presented by Arnobio Morelix, an undergraduate student from The University Of Kansas who identified himself as a researcher for the school. In an interview, Morelix told the HuffPost that only 17.1 percent of McDonald's revenue goes toward salaries and benefits, meaning that for every dollar McDonald's earns, a little more than 17 cents goes toward the income and benefits of its employees.

However, as the Columbia Journalism Review subsequently noted, Morelix's analysis only takes into account the payroll and employee benefits of McDonald's company-operated stores while excluding franchise businesses. Prior to publication, HuffPost asked Morelix if his analysis included franchises and he said it did. He later conceded it did not. McDonald's franchises make up more than 80 percent of McDonald's restaurants worldwide. This means that a majority of the payroll and employee benefits of McDonald's workers are not included in Morelix's findings.

A typical fast-food restaurant spends 30 to 35 percent of its income on labor, according to a recent release from the Employment Policies Institute, a research organization whose work is often cited by those who argue against increasing the minimum wage. The institute estimates that small-business owners who run McDonald's franchises spend about a third of their income on wages, which would mean the price of a Big Mac would go up by $1.28 to $5.27.

A doubling of wages at McDonald's would almost certainly involve some layoffs, asserts Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research and a HuffPost blogger. At the same time, more workers would stay in their jobs longer, Baker added.

Experts generally assume that roughly one-third of the cost of increased wages gets passed on to consumers, with much of the rest of cutting into profits, Baker said. Regardless, McDonald’s is so vast and lucrative that it could easily survive a major wage increase, Baker added.

“The idea that it’d put McDonald’s out of business, there’d be no way,” said Baker.

By the reckoning of Bonnie Riggs, a restaurant industry analyst at market information and advisory firm the NPD Group, a doubling of wages for all McDonald's workers is "not even in the realm of feasibility." With fewer and fewer Americans eating out at restaurants due to factors like the payroll tax hike and increases in gas prices, Riggs said restaurants like McDonald's are trying to discount prices as much as possible to get customers through the door. This means the company's profit margins could not withstand a labor cost increase of this magnitude, she added.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Interesting that if wages are doubled then the big Mac would increase a little more than by four.

Interesting arithmetic.

You sure call others names, you must also have a high IQ.

Not sure what this has to do with Star lying and twisting the truth but there you go.

Not sure what this has to do with Star lying and twisting the truth but there you go.
I am the only one on this forum who can decide who is twisting the truth because I said so.

I am the only one on this forum who can decide who is twisting the truth because I said so.

"Not sure what this has to do with Star lying and twisting the truth but there you go."

Sez the pot to the kettle - papageorgio can't even 'splain what s/he's whining about but-----but I think you're on to something Snookie, I too thought papageorgio was just another smartass but-----but s/he first has to be smart otherwise s/he's just an...

Obviously, papageorgio couldn't hold his/her own about fast food employees being treated a little better by an employer that is, at least trying to do the right thing. So first s/he tried to change the subject to food in fast food restaurants then-----then s/he couldn't hold his/her own there either so-----so s/he switched to ad hominem attacks but-----but that ain't workin' for him/her either.

Nothing new here, same ol', same ol' -- Republicans are so-oh predictable!

"Not sure what this has to do with Star lying and twisting the truth but there you go."

Sez the pot to the kettle - papageorgio can't even 'splain what s/he's whining about but-----but I think you're on to something Snookie, I too thought papageorgio was just another smartass but-----but s/he first has to be smart otherwise s/he's just an...

Obviously, papageorgio couldn't hold his/her own about fast food employees being treated a little better by an employer that is, at least trying to do the right thing. So first s/he tried to change the subject to food in fast food restaurants then-----then s/he couldn't hold his/her own there either so-----so s/he switched to ad hominem attacks but-----but that ain't workin' for him/her either.

Very well, carry on.

The article distorted facts and I pointed it out, then you jumped in a distorted facts and I straightened you out. Never have you debated or challenged what was said. Every time you posted, I pointed out your distortion of truth. You don't even have the nerve to address me directly. If you can't follow the flow or back up your posts. Don't blame others.

Hey McDonald's! This Fast Food Restaurant Pays Employees $10 An Hour And Is Wildly Successful -

Boloco is a Boston-based burrito place with 23 locations in New England from Burlington, VT down to Washington, D.C., with most in and around Boston. If you go to Yelp, you’ll see mostly 4-star reviews of its burrito and smoothie menu. It’s very popular among the college crowd, which CEO John Pepper has taken advantage of with many outlets near New England universities. The story of what began as Under Wraps in 1997 is one of good business based on healthy food and treating employees well. Some of the highlights over the years include:

Adding a smaller-sized burrito despite the negative effect on profitability, which now regularly outsells the large size.
Offering Health Insurance to all full-time and most part-time employees.
Offering a Simple IRA plan for all full-time and most part-time employees.
Rounding after tax prices to end with a “5″ or “0″ to eliminate pennies, saving time.
Offering English and Spanish Berlitz lessons to facilitate employee communications.
Putting a moratorium on new locations until current ones become profitable.
Making employees eligible for performance-based bonus plans.
Offering a dental plan to all full-time and most part-time employees.
Regular donations of $20,000 per year to a community food bank.
Instituting a speaker series for management.
Going green with all-natural meats, organic cotton uniforms, recycling, replacing Styrofoam cups
Hiring a company artist and hanging his paintings of local areas in stores. (source)

But the biggest difference between Boloco and other fast food spots is the salary earned by employees. Pay begins at $9 an hour and goes up to $17 an hour for managers. The average salary at Boloco is $10 an hour. That’s around $3 more than most places.

Read more: Hey McDonald's! This Fast Food Restaurant Pays Employees $10 An Hour And Is Wildly Successful -

When did it become acceptable for employers to shit on their help? And, why? What does it get for them?

I was ready to hit the "Thank" button until I saw that you added your signature Lovely No-Nuts tag "shit on their help". You just can't seem to let good-enough alone, can you?

The article distorted facts and I pointed it out, then you jumped in a distorted facts and I straightened you out. Never have you debated or challenged what was said. Every time you posted, I pointed out your distortion of truth. You don't even have the nerve to address me directly. If you can't follow the flow or back up your posts. Don't blame others.

"Never have you debated or challenged what was said." ~ papageorgio

Exactly! Please proceed governor.

Boloco is a Boston-based burrito place with 23 locations in New England from Burlington, VT down to Washington, D.C., with most in and around Boston. If you go to Yelp, you’ll see mostly 4-star reviews of its burrito and smoothie menu. It’s very popular among the college crowd, which CEO John Pepper has taken advantage of with many outlets near New England universities. The story of what began as Under Wraps in 1997 is one of good business based on healthy food and treating employees well. Some of the highlights over the years include:

Adding a smaller-sized burrito despite the negative effect on profitability, which now regularly outsells the large size.
Offering Health Insurance to all full-time and most part-time employees.
Offering a Simple IRA plan for all full-time and most part-time employees.
Rounding after tax prices to end with a “5″ or “0″ to eliminate pennies, saving time.
Offering English and Spanish Berlitz lessons to facilitate employee communications.
Putting a moratorium on new locations until current ones become profitable.
Making employees eligible for performance-based bonus plans.
Offering a dental plan to all full-time and most part-time employees.
Regular donations of $20,000 per year to a community food bank.
Instituting a speaker series for management.
Going green with all-natural meats, organic cotton uniforms, recycling, replacing Styrofoam cups
Hiring a company artist and hanging his paintings of local areas in stores. (source)

But the biggest difference between Boloco and other fast food spots is the salary earned by employees. Pay begins at $9 an hour and goes up to $17 an hour for managers. The average salary at Boloco is $10 an hour. That’s around $3 more than most places.

Read more: Hey McDonald's! This Fast Food Restaurant Pays Employees $10 An Hour And Is Wildly Successful -

McDonald's is a joke when it comes to productivity. They may have one of the lowest productivity rates in the fast food industry. If you've ever go to Chicago, check out Portillo's. You can be the 50th person in line and you'll have your food within ten minutes. During their busy periods, they will have one or two people who take orders while you are standing in line. You take your order to the cashier who rings it up and takes your money. As the order is rung up it goes to the board where they have about ten people making different things. Five minutes later you have your food. They run those restaurants like well oiled machines. Go to McDonald's and watch the same person who takes your order, then takes your money, then gets your food, all while running around like a chicken with his/her head cut off, and you can see just how stupid McDonald's system is.

The best part is when you sit down and start to eat and figure out that they gave you the wrong order. Not all fast food places run so poorly, but since you mentioned McDonald's, I had to chime in.

"Never have you debated or challenged what was said." ~ papageorgio

Exactly! Please proceed governor.

Already have, you fail to rise to my challenges, you failed to prove your any of what you said. So I am proceeding to other threads.

Forum List

Back