Zone1 Catholicism is true but it's not easy to get in

Matthew 6:1-24
And this is posted because some imagine Catholics are not familiar with the verse? Catholics live it while also living by the other commandments and ways taught by Christ. Love. Faith. Works. All given by the grace of God to guide us on the way of salvation.

And this is posted because some imagine Catholics are not familiar with the verse? Catholics live it while also living by the other commandments and ways taught by Christ. Love. Faith. Works. All given by the grace of God to guide us on the way of salvation.
It pertains to good works, and has nothing to do with salvation. Christ's work on the cross was complete.

When it comes to Christianity, we have who has the best denomination of it. There has to be some discipline in life though. Perfection is not demanded. I also believe that other people on this planet can go to heaven if not Christian. We have people who sit on their asses proclaiming faith while on the other side of the world some lady with limited resources helping every person she can and is not Christian.
Being helpful is a good trait, but has nothing to do with salvation. If you believe that people who don't accept God's gift of redemption through Christ go to heaven also, then you have to ignore what Christ said:

John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

Last edited:
It pertains to good works, and has nothing to do with salvation. Christ's work on the cross was complete.

Pelagianism is a fifth century heresy that Catholics rejected fifteen hundred years ago. I don't understand why that is so hard to understand. Nor should it be so hard to understand that in entering into God's grace, accepting the gift of salvation, we don't put this salvation on the back shelf of a closet. We use it! We follow the Way of Jesus (the Way of salvation) following his commands in love as he followed God's commandments with love. Catholics respond to salvation, and the works God planned, from the beginning, for us to accomplish.

The question is, does your denomination teach using the gift of salvation or are you instructed to just wait for something to happen? If so, what are you waiting for? Does your denomination hold the belief that God planned works for us from the beginning?

Good works and Pelagianism are two different things. One is done for Christ's sake. The other is the belief that man's is naturally good.
And the Catholics I know all do good things for others. They were all raised in the Lord, and are still in the Lord.

You and I disagree on the extent of the salvation Christ accomplished on the cross. You believe that it needs to be added to, and I think it is complete.
As far as hanging out until something happens ( :uhoh3: ) . Why wait?

Acts 22:16 “And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on his name.

I've never been in favor of proof-texting (cherry picking) a Biblical verse while ignoring what else is being said. In Catholicism we learn that our personal salvation and sanctification are ongoing. Perhaps your Christian denominations teaches positional salvation/sanctification and progressive sanctification? As a Catholic I can relate to these terms as well. Positional sanctification is the work Christ did that provided us with salvation and sanctification. It was freely given to us through the grace of God so that holiness may be ours so that we are enabled to use what was freely given. Reflect on the Parable of the Talents, a story given to us by Jesus. What will our return be?

One must remain holy. Otherwise, you have given everyone a hall pass for unrestrained debauchery.
So, you want to add you must also remain holy to the scripture?

Hebrews 10:10 He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all,
(but you must remain holy) <or what ding? Our sanctification through Jesus doesn't apply?

While the scripture doesn't include our work at holiness as part of the equation, it does put the holiness of our sanctification squarely on Jesus and the second covenant He established, because He is holy.

Giving your life to Christ isn't an excuse for unrestrained debauchery. It is the opposite.
Debauchery= the old man. In Christ= new creature. God knows our heart.
We are sanctified by the one who really IS holy. And it is a gift given to those who fail at being holy.

Last edited:
I've never been in favor of proof-texting (cherry picking) a Biblical verse while ignoring what else is being said. In Catholicism we learn that our personal salvation and sanctification are ongoing. Perhaps your Christian denominations teaches positional salvation/sanctification and progressive sanctification? As a Catholic I can relate to these terms as well. Positional sanctification is the work Christ did that provided us with salvation and sanctification. It was freely given to us through the grace of God so that holiness may be ours so that we are enabled to use what was freely given. Reflect on the Parable of the Talents, a story given to us by Jesus. What will our return be?
Every verse in the Bible is proof text. Using scripture to verify a fact isn't cherry picking. Scripture is used for:
2 Tim. 3:14 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
^ All scripture.
Pretending it is cherry picking is just a way to say, "I can't prove otherwise, so I'll just attack the use of the text itself".

I don't ignore what else is being said, I weigh it in the balance of scripture. Perhaps your denomination evades it in favor of "what else is being said". You don't seem to be a big fan of it. You don't use it and complain about it when someone else does...

Every verse in the Bible is proof text. Using scripture to verify a fact isn't cherry picking. Scripture is used for:
2 Tim. 3:14 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
^ All scripture.
Pretending it is cherry picking is just a way to say, "I can't prove otherwise, so I'll just attack the use of the text itself".

I don't ignore what else is being said, I weigh it in the balance of scripture. Perhaps your denomination evades it in favor of "what else is being said". You don't seem to be a big fan of it. You don't use it and complain about it when someone else does...
Did you notice 2 Timothy 3:14 said ALL scripture...? There is nothing about picking a verse here, skipping a verse there...or that in Paul's day, scripture was not his letters--it was the Hebrew Bible? Further, I don't have to prove otherwise. Scripture, for those paying attention to all of it, presents all the proof needed. So....No attack, a quiet point that all of scripture has more to say to us.

I actually pointed to the "all scripture" in the verse I supplied. You are the one calling scripture cherry picking. Instead of going to the point, must I include the whole book? Was Christ cherry picking when He used singular scripture to defeat the devil in the desert? By your def. He was:
Matthew 4:4 “It is written, 'Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God."
^ Out of all that is written, Christ "cherry picked" that specific sentence. It was precise and to the point.
If one makes a point and offers scripture that makes the same point, then it is using scripture that is profitable for doctrine and correction.
And you can stop pretending that following scripture, all of it, is only a Catholic trait. It's not. We can follow it and elude to it at the same time.

The discussion centers around salvation, sanctification, holiness--and how works enters into our relationship with God given that he has bestowed salvation and sanctification upon the world. If you wish a verse, the one that we are worthless servants doing only what we should be doing comes to mind. What should we be doing? No need to veer off to Jesus completed the work of salvation, redemption, and sanctification on the cross. No one disputes that. Given all of what Christ did for us and what has been bestowed on us, what ought we be doing? Time and again I've suggested we feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, give drink to the the thirsty, proclaim the good news and all I have ever gotten in return is that Christ completed everything, and anything we do is only "trying to improve" on what he has already done. Can we get past all of that? We've been mired in that for months. What ought we be doing? Whenever I point out what Catholics do, I get slapped in the face with we're "trying to earn salvation!"

Meri, no one is slapping you in the face. And no one here has said we ought not to take care of the poor or spread the good news. What I am saying is caring for the poor does not add to the redemption that Christ accomplished for us on the cross. That is complete and needs no amount of good works on our part to complete it. That doesn't mean we sit on our butts and eat candy until we go home. If you have a heart for Jesus, you'll have a heart for the unfortunate too and do all the things you mentioned, for Jesus' sake. And I am not saying that to smack you with, but to debate a very important issue.

Last edited:
Meri, no one is slapping you in the face. And no one here has said we ought not to take care of the poor or spread the good news. What I am saying is caring for the poor does not add to the redemption that Christ accomplished for us on the cross. That is complete and needs no amount of good works on our part to complete it. That doesn't mean we sit on our butts and eat candy until we go home. If you have a heart for Jesus, you'll have a heart for the unfortunate too and do all the things you mentioned, for Jesus' sake. And I am not saying that to smack you with, but to debate a very important issue.
And here we go again. No one is adding a thing to redemption, salvation, sanctification, or what Christ accomplished on the cross. The question is, WHAT OUGHT WE BE DOING? Is that so hard to answer?

Calvinists do that quite a bit.

True, but I'm almost positive that no one here is a Calvinist.

btw, I found a pic of you...:)

e16780a9e55fa4070bab47cf292d7142.jpg

Forum List

Back