Your favorite live performances.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Looking back at all the concerts from my past.... mostly in the 70s and 80s ( I've been to a lot but not as many as Canon Shooter or a couple others ).... looking back now being 61 with maybe a more refined perspective and being a late bloomer musician myself I'm going to say that Triumph (the Canadian band) probably put on the most entertaining show.

Just a great band. 👍

It's like if Van Halen didn't need David Lee Roth
Riik at a club in 2015

Last edited:
Jimi Hendrix, and a venue that had Jesse Colin Young, the Beach Boys, and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, at Texas Stadium. Saw Chuck Berry twice, he thoroughly sucked both times, a true asshole. Hendrix and CSN&Y sounded exactly like their studio albums, in a era when most bands didn't, especially the Stones, who always sounded like shit live, at least the to times I saw them and heard their live recordings. The Beach Boys tour band was also good, but didn't play long. CSN&Y did two 1.5 hour sets, one their acoustical songs, a half hour break to set up for their electrical stuff. The only live acts I've seen since the 80's and shit bands are Sarah Brightman and Jackie Evancho, both more than once and both excellent live performers.

Edited to add both Brightman and Evancho don't need microphones, and electronic reproduction doesn't do justice to their voices; a must see live at least once in your lives. Evancho usually does halls that seat 600-800 people.

Last edited:
Jimi Hendrix, and a venue that had Jesse Colin Young, the Beach Boys, and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, at Texas Stadium. Saw Chuck Berry twice, he thoroughly sucked both times, a true asshole. Hendrix and CSN&Y sounded exactly like their studio albums, in a era when most bands didn't, especially the Stones, who always sounded like shit live, at least the to times I saw them and heard their live recordings. The Beach Boys tour band was also good, but didn't play long. CSN&Y did two 1.5 hour sets, one their acoustical songs, a half hour break to set up for their electrical stuff. The only live acts I've seen since the 80's and shit bands are Sarah Brightman and Jackie Evancho, both more than once and both excellent live performers.
Santana, Journey, ZZ Top, and Triumph
probably top my list for 'best sounding 'performances( music that sounded like the albums or even better).... Paul McCartney and Wings was really good

Santana, Journey, ZZ Top, Rush and Triumph
probably top my list for 'best sounding 'performances( music that sounded like the albums or even better).... Paul McCartney and Wings was really good

Love ZZ Top but never made it to any of their shows, unfortunately. Maybe I'll get to see Billy Gibbons before he croaks.

I have a lot of respect for instrumental musicians after the Van Halen effect with all these guys like Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert and Vinnie Moore..... but personally I would rather go to a club and see a Blues performer like Joe Bonamassa or Robben Ford ....Gary Hoey

twenty years ago I was positive it was White Zombie...but now...yeah I like this kinda thing.

He used to do a nunchaku thing as well.

Just put the guitar down and go play with nunchaku for about five or ten minutes.

He also hands out toys and candy to the front row.

I have a lot of respect for instrumental musicians after the Van Halen effect with all these guys like Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert and Vinnie Moore..... but personally I would rather go to a club and see a Blues performer like Joe Bonamassa or Robben Ford ....Gary Hoey

BB King was always great in small club venues. So was Solomon Burke. Always got my money's worth at the club gigs. Stadium rock I can easily live without.

I've always loved these two live TV show performances from 1998 and 2005.

God bless you and Brad and LeAnn always!!!

Holly (a day one fan of both)

Looking back at all the concerts from my past.... mostly in the 70s and 80s ( I've been to a lot but not as many as Canon Shooter or a couple others ).... looking back now being 61 with maybe a more refined perspective and being a late bloomer musician myself I'm going to say that Triumph (the Canadian band) probably put on the most entertaining show.

Just a great band. 👍

It's like if Van Halen didn't need David Lee Roth
Riik at a club in 2015

I have seen the following groups in concert:
  1. Deep Purple
  2. Chicago
  3. Allman Brothers
  4. Jethro Tull
  5. Black Sabbath
  6. Led Zeppelin
  7. Eagles
  8. Nirvana
  9. Chili Peppers
  10. Moody Blues
  11. The Who
  12. The Stones
  13. Bruce Springsteen
  14. Alice Cooper
  15. Eric Clapton
  16. Jeff Beck
  17. Eddie Money
  18. Sammy Hagar
  19. Fleetwood Mac
  20. Bob Dylan
  21. Olivia Newton John
  22. Santana
  23. Alvin Lee
  24. Yes Emerson, Lake and Palmer
  25. Blackmore's Rainbow
  26. Jeff Healy
  27. Grateful Dead
  28. J Geils Band
And of all those concerts, the one that sticks out as the best, is Bruce Springteen's River tour in 1980 at the LA Sports Arena. That was the best!

In no particular order
The Who,
Jimmy Buffett,
Warren Zevon,
Mountain

Forum List

Back