Your Banker Is Not Your Friend

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
If like me, you can recollect the Apollo Moon landing, then chances are you can also recollect the era in which a "personal relationship" with your banker was highly prized for its intangible benefits. If you had a good reputation with him as a fiscally responsible customer, you might could get a loan, even a mortgage. I never, ever paid overdraft fees even though I did sometimes mess up, because the head teller would call me to say "Madeline, we need you to stop in tomorrow with another $20 to cover this check".

Trust me, even if you're having an affair with the manager of the branch where you bank, these days are OVER for all of us except maybe the Rockefellers here in the US. Buried in the health care law and several other pieces of recent legislation are items of interest to you no one seems to be discussing.

* When it comes to fraud, theft or disputes associated with your use of your debit card, you are on your own. 100% on your own, because the feds will not pursue a matter unless at least $25,000 is in controversy, and your local sherrif has no idea how to investigate electronic banking thefts, etc. The days when a bank would unwind a transaction and put the cash back into your account on your say-so are OVER.

* Very shortly, if you attempt a purchase too large for your bank balance with your debit card, the purchase will be declined. (As of today what happens is that it goes through and you become overdrawn.) And while this may sound like a pro-consumer thingie, what remains unclear is just how long your debit card will be frozen. Can you imagine being away from home when this happens, and having no other access to cash?

* Banks have almost universally stopped charging any of us for the use of their facilities. Hardly anyone is paying just to have a checking account, or to receive a monthly statement, etc. However, banks have not begun giving away their service to you -- not by a long shot. What happens now is that if you bounce a check, they have 1,001 fees and fees on fees to impose on you, under a system so byzantinne even Rube Goldberg would be impressed. Things are almost as bad where credit cards are concerned. If you have a credit card for 10 years, the bank is betting that at least once you'll screw up and fail to pay the minimum due on time...and in fact, most of us do just that. If you have not bounced a check in the past few years, you have very little idea how bad this gets...a $20 overage can result in total fees of $200 that day and $2,000 total in fees within the week.

* Banks no longer feel the same pressure to notify you of changes in their fee schedules, etc., even by sending you those impossible-to-read mini-brochures in size 1 font. They now seem to feel they can kinda sorta decide what to charge you without checking with anyone first...and I do not know this, but I suspect, that the back door deal underlying health care and some other new laws is that those who are wealthy will get the same or more from us, just in new-fangled ways. Bank fees on checking accounts are the new profit center....bounce a $20 check now and take three days to deposit the overage, and you'll likely be looking at $500 to $2,000 in total fees...to start.

What should you do?

* Join a credit union if you can. I cannot recommend strongly enough Suze Orman's books, television show, and website. The lady is very plain-spoken. Even your nitwit 14 year old can understand her. And she tells you things about YOUR money no one else will. Ms. Orman links to all the credit unions in the US and which ones are reliable/licensed/etc. on her site.

http://www.suzeorman.com/

What's different about a credit union is that, unlike a bank, it is a mutual aid society, a non-profit and not part of some ginormous international conglomerate. Your credit union is much less likely to play reindeer games with you. Most cannot or do not make mortgage loans, but you do not need or benefit from a banking relationship when shopping for a mortgage; your rate and access to funds will depend entirely on your credit score, etc. No matter how well Huge International Banking Conglomerate Inc. may know you, if you aren't credit worthy you are not getting a mortgage. And if you are credit worthy, they will lend to you regardless of who you may be. Banks are not like boyfriends -- they aren't "attracted" to any one of us apart from the magnetic pull of our money.

* If you want to use a debit card for online purchases, etc., then buy a Visa gift card and load it with X dollars. Stop using the debit card linked to your checking and savings for anything other than ATM withdrawals and deposits. (Gift cards are widely available for free...but usually not at banks. That is most likely by design.) I also recommend you rethink any and all prior authorizations. The only vendor I permit to pull money from my account "automatically" is my auto/home insurance company....because otherwise I'd be paying 10% more for that coverage. Every other vendor, from my electric company to my mortgage holder, gets paid via an electronic check that I complete when I pull the trigger every month....and that allows me to withhold payment in full if I feel anyone has overcharged me in error.

* Even if your bank charges a huge fee to link your savings to your checking for overdraft protection, it might be worth it. Mine wants like $50 a year and until now I refused to pay that, but I may reconsider. Bounced checks are just too expensive now -- even one and you may not be able to make this month's car payment. On the other hand, linking your checking to your credit card may be unwise as well. If you have an available credit limit of $10,000 and someone invades your account, you'll have lost that cash and the bank will Whistle Dixie when you complain. So will law enforcement. The better option is a credit card with a $500 limit. You'll likely never put yourself crosswise in an amount above that, andi if you ever are a theft victim, you obviously want them to stop stealing from you before they get all $10,000 of your available credit limit.

I know only what I know of my own experience, but I suspect one hell of a lot more. My bank is ultimately owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland -- the UK's version of AIG. Since Royal Bank went bankrupt and was bailed out last year, my bank has sent me two letters, informing me that they've been hacked and that my debit card and checking account information are now floating around in the ether. (ALWAYS read your mail AND your email received at any online bank website you have established....failure to act fast after notice can foreclose your rights.) Both times I shut down my debit card (which is a huge pain) and left my checking account standing. But yanno, that was a calculated risk on my part, and no one at the bank was terribly able to help me decide WTF to do. My suspicion is that banks are now scrimping on expensive data security measures and thereby recklessly exposing us customers to loss...but of course, I cannot prove such a thing.

DO NOT EVER use your debit card to buy a product on tv or the 'net which is advertised as "free plus shipping and handling". I know...right now I'm attempting unsuccessfully to repel a six months' long series of debits to my account I did not authorize. These frauds usually involve modest amounts and they work because the thieves doing this hope most people will just get frustrated and kiss off the amounts involved. And in fact, we do.

DO NOT EVER go off-shore to bank a la your checking and savings accounts, retirement accounts, etc. If you think things are wild and wooly here in the US, try recapturing funds that have been run through a bank in the Lloyd's of Tortola. I-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e.

I know I could not live without online banking. I bet I check my online account twice a day, especially when I am looking for a deposit to hit so I can go shopping. I would hate hate hate to be on a cash-only basis again....and I hope it does not come to that. But I also know if I am going to continue to use the US Banking system and have not won the lottery so that 1,000's of dollars are meaningless to me, I need to wise up -- and almost no one is trumpeting this information.

Some I learned from a bank examiner friend of mine, but to be honest, most I have learned from Suze Orman. In writing this thread I have stated my OPINION, not fact. But I have posted this in an effort to start a dialogue which I hope will raise awareness and save some little old lady or single mom or family scraping by on unemployment insurance from a miserable domino effect that could cause suffering, even to the point of homelessness.

Watch your money...because everyone ELSE sure is.

Bankers are not nice folks in three piece suits any more. They are alot more like pirates.

SPANK_BANKERS_AWsmall.jpg

http://purpleslinky.com/humor/satire/five-alternative-career-choices-for-a-pirate/

kongbay.jpg

Peace out, my fellow USMB-ers.

peace-sign.jpg

Last edited:
If like me, you can recollect the Apollo Moon landing, then chances are you can also recollect the era in which a "personal relationship" with your banker was highly prized for its intangible benefits. If you had a good reputation with him as a fiscally responsible customer, you might could get a loan, even a mortgage. I never, ever paid overdraft fees even though I did sometimes mess up, because the head teller would call me to say "Madeline, we need you to stop in tomorrow with another $20 to cover this check".

Trust me, even if you're having an affair with the manager of the branch where you bank, these days are OVER for all of us except maybe the Rockefellers here in the US. Buried in the health care law and several other pieces of recent legislation are items of interest to you no one seems to be discussing.

* When it comes to fraud, theft or disputes associated with your use of your debit card, you are on your own. 100% on your own, because the feds will not pursue a matter unless at least $25,000 is in controversy, and your local sherrif has no idea how to investigate electronic banking thefts, etc. The days when a bank would unwind a transaction and put the cash back into your account on your say-so are OVER.

* Very shortly, if you attempt a purchase too large for your bank balance with your debit card, the purchase will be declined. (As of today what happens is that it goes through and you become overdrawn.) And while this may sound like a pro-consumer thingie, what remains unclear is just how long your debit card will be frozen. Can you imagine being away from home when this happens, and having no other access to cash?

* Banks have almost universally stopped charging any of us for the use of their facilities. Hardly anyone is paying just to have a checking account, or to receive a monthly statement, etc. However, banks have not begun giving away their service to you -- not by a long shot. What happens now is that if you bounce a check, they have 1,001 fees and fees on fees to impose on you, under a system so byzantinne even Rube Goldberg would be impressed. Things are almost as bad where credit cards are concerned. If you have a credit card for 10 years, the bank is betting that at least once you'll screw up and fail to pay the minimum due on time...and in fact, most of us do just that. If you have not bounced a check in the past few years, you have very little idea how bad this gets...a $20 overage can result in a $200 fee that day and a $2,000 within the week.

* Banks no longer feel the same pressure to notify you of changes in their fee schedules, etc., even by sending you those impossible-to-read mini-brochures in size 1 font. They now seem to feel they can kinda sorta decide what to charge you without checking with anyone first...and I do not know this, but I suspect, that the back door deal underlying health care and some other new laws is that those who are wealthy will get the same or more from us, just in new-fangled ways. Bank fees on checking accounts are the new profit center....bounce a $20 check now and take three days to deposit the overage, and you'll likely be looking at $500 in fees...to start.

What should you do?

* Join a credit union if you can. I cannot recommend strongly enough Suze Orman's books, television show, and website. The lady is very plain-spoken. Even your nitwit 14 year old can understand her. And she tells you things about YOUR money no one else will. Ms. Orman links to all the credit unions in the US and which ones are reliable/licensed/etc. on her site.

What's different about a credit union is that, unlike a bank, it is a mutual aid society, a non-profit and not part of some enormous conglomerate. Your credit union is much less likely to play reindeer games with you. Most cannot or do not make mortgage loans, but you do not need or benefit from a banking relationship when shopping for a mortgage; your rate and access to funds will depend entirely on your credit score, etc. No matter how well Huge Bank Conglomerate Inc. may know you, if you aren't credit worthy you are not getting a mortgage. And if you are credit worthy, they will lend to you regardless of who you may be. Banks are not like boyfriends -- they aren't "attracted" to any one of us apart from the magnetic pull of our money.

* If you want to use a debit card for online purchases, etc., then buy a Visa gift card and load it with X dollars. Stop using the debit card linked to your checking and savings for anything other than ATM withdrawals and deposits. (Gift cards are widely available for free...but usually not at banks. That is most likely by design.)

* Even if your bank charges a huge fee to link your savings to your checking for overdraft protection, it might be worth it. Bounced checks are just too expensive now -- even one and you may not be able to make this month's car payment. But on the other hand, linking your checking to your credit card may be unwise as well. If you have an available credit limit of $10,000 and someone invades your account, you'll have lost that cash and the bank will Whistle Dixie when you complain. So will law enforcement. The better option is a credit card with a $500 limit. You'll likely never put yourself crosswise in an amount above that, andi if you ever are a theft victim, you obviously want them to stop stealing from you before they get all $10,000 of your available credit limit.

I know only what I know, but I suspect much more. My bank is ultimately owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland -- the UK's version of AIG. Since Royal Bank went bankrupt and was bailed out last year, my bank has sent me two letters, informing me that they've been hacked and that my debit card and checking account information are in the ether. (ALWAYS read your mail AND your email received at any online bank website you have established....failure to act fast after notice can foreclose your rights.) Both times I shut down my debit card (which is a huge pain) and left my checking account standing....but yanno, that was a calculated risk on my part and no one at the bank was terribly able to help me decide WTF to do. My suspicion is that banks are now scrimping on expensive data security measures and thereby recklessly exposing us customers to loss...but of course, I cannot prove such a thing.

DO NOT EVER use your debit card to buy a product on tv or the 'net which is advertised as "free plus shipping and handling". I know...right now I'm attempting unsuccessfully to repel a six months' long series of debits to my account I did not authorize. These frauds usually involve modest amounts and the cons work because the company doing this hopes most people will just get frustrated and kiss off the amount involved.

DO NOT EVER go off-shore to bank a la your checking and savings accounts, retirement accounts, etc. If you think things are wooly here in the US, try recapturing funds that have been run through a bank in the Lloyd's of Tortola.

I know I could not live without online banking. I bet I check my online account twice a day, especially when I am looking for a deposit to hit so I can go shopping. I would hate hate hate to be on a cash basis again....and I hope it does not come to that. But I also know if I am going to continue to use the US Banking system and have not won the lottery so that 1,000's of dollars are meaningless to me, I need to wise up -- and almost no one is trumpeting this information.

Some I learned from a bank examiner friend of mine, but to be honest, most I have learned from Suze Orman. In writing this thread I have stated OPINION, not fact. But I have posted this in an effort to start a dialogue which I hope will raise awareness and save some little old lady or single mom or family scraping by on unemployment from a miserable domino effect that could cause suffering, even to the point of homelessness.

Watch your money...because everyone ELSE sure is.

Peace out, my fellow USMB-ers.

SOOOOooo...you're having an affair with your banker......:eek:

My best friend is a "banker" She was trying to explain the new "Obama regs" to me but I wasn't really following her. What I did learn is that the debit card hold is now standard and everyone has to "opt out" if they don't want it. Thank the irresponsible folks who continuously rack up OD charges. Check with your bank if you want to change it. She feels badly for the poor cashiers at Target who will go off on them when their card is denied.

• Banned
My best friend is a "banker" She was trying to explain the new "Obama regs" to me but I wasn't really following her. What I did learn is that the debit card hold is now standard and everyone has to "opt out" if they don't want it. Thank the irresponsible folks who continuously rack up OD charges. Check with your bank if you want to change it. She feels badly for the poor cashiers at Target who will go off on them when their card is denied.

Back in the day, banking was very tightly regulated and somewhat civilized...but then came Reagan and the Savings and Loan crisis aka Junk Bonds Are Not Your Friend. We deserve better than this sneaky bullshitty attack on our families' solvency from the current administration and trust me, as more smart people parse through the 45,000,000 pages of regulations that the 45,000 pages of new law are going to generate, this will only get worse.

Take Thyself To a Credit Union, if possible. So far I cannot find one I'm entitled to join. If you are a Cleveland FireFighter and wanna marry me, lemme know. Oh, or a Cleveland area Auto Worker, LOL.

*Winks*

It usually just takes a $5 deposit to a savings account to join a credit union. Yeah they're dandy.
I make 3.1% on my checking account balance. They also reimburse me up to $25/month in fees from ATM's I might use anywhere in the country. Yes there are conditions but easily met.

• Banned
It usually just takes a $5 deposit to a savings account to join a credit union. Yeah they're dandy.
I make 3.1% on my checking account balance. They also reimburse me up to $25/month in fees from ATM's I might use anywhere in the country. Yes there are conditions but easily met.

I wish NOW I had kept open my credit union account down south. I really did not foresee all this aggravation from banks -- I had not used a commercial bank in like 20 years until I moved here to Cleveland.

Goddamn GREED...that's all this is.

This is the problem with large banks - you become a number instead of a person and you do have less consideration. On the other hand, it is the customer's responsibility to keep close tabs on how much is in their account and not make overdrafts.

I keep most of my and Rosetta's dough in FCU.

I also have a commercial bank that I use for other things.

But I agree with you, Mad, that people ought to take advantage of being a member of an FCU.

Back in the day, banking was very tightly regulated and somewhat civilized...but then came Reagan and the Savings and Loan crisis aka Junk Bonds Are Not Your Friend. We deserve better than this sneaky bullshitty attack on our families' solvency from the current administration and trust me, as more smart people parse through the 45,000,000 pages of regulations that the 45,000 pages of new law are going to generate, this will only get worse.

Take Thyself To a Credit Union, if possible. So far I cannot find one I'm entitled to join. If you are a Cleveland FireFighter and wanna marry me, lemme know. Oh, or a Cleveland area Auto Worker, LOL.

*Winks*

Can you specifically tell me what 'tighter regulations' were in place before the time you claim Reagan wrecked everything for us?

I'm just curious what one would have to do to incur overdraft fees of $2,000~

This is the problem with large banks - you become a number instead of a person and you do have less consideration. On the other hand, it is the customer's responsibility to keep close tabs on how much is in their account and not make overdrafts.

I guess I just don't get it. Maybe I'm too young. What is there to do with a bank that requires some special bond between myself and them? That my money is there when I need it is all I really care about. Are there some great perks that I missed out on in my youth? Did they just give away money before? You're seriously whining about the fact that you can be declined as oppossed to be overdrafted? That isn't the banks problem. It's yours.......FOR SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE.

I'm just curious what one would have to do to incur overdraft fees of $2,000~

Spend a lot of money they don't have.

You need to be a little more specific. The OP says that a person could have up to 2K in fees for one overdraft. WTF?

Anyone who has $2k in overdraft fees should not be allowed to run their own finances. They are clearly an idiot.

Bankers are not the only ones who are greedy.... idiots who spend money they don't have would qualify as greedy too. And... stupid with it.

I like the personal touch that Vito, Guido & Angelo delivered to the customers when they were late on payments. It was much more intimate than the mundane legal hoops & high fees charge to customers now.

My ATM card broke again and I had to get it replaced. Our local bank was taken over by a bank up in NY and my card died just before they were to do the conversion. I had to wait about 3 weeks before the new card came. I have to say . . . I spend less money if I have to go to the bank and withdraw it vs. just swiping the card at the store. I'd also have no problem going back to writing a check to pay a bill vs. online e-checks. I wouldn't mind floating back to a cash-only system. Of course, that'd mean balancing the checkbook every month rather than keeping track of it daily on-line but hey, sometimes the easy way isn't all it's cracked up to be either.

And Maddie . . . WTF is with the 'nitwit 14 year old' comment?!?!?!
I'll have you know that my nitwit is only 13!

Zoom-boing wrote:

LMAO! Hang on tight, Zoom-boing, you're in for Mr Toad's Wild Ride!

Onna Suze Orman's repeated themes is that us parents need to stop sending kildets out the house at 18 with zero personal financial smarts. Suze Orman wrote a terrific book for young folks about personal finance called Young, Fabulous and Broke. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Since there is no mandated course on personal finance in high school, it is up to parents to teach their kidlets. I was not such a parent...I gave that kidlet everything she asked for, including an $800 designer dress to wear to her 8th grade prom. My mortgage payment wasn't as much as $800, for crying out loud. Talk about over-indulging a kidlet.

What has saved her, I think, was that in high school I got her a job working for a credit counseling agency. At the time I just wanted her to have a job doing something safe and reasonably well-paid. But she got to see financial ruin up close and personal. Learned what a credit score is, etc.

She's made mistakes but all in all, she's light years ahead of many her age. Teaching kidlets that Mom and Dad are like vending machines you can get whatever you want from is not just lazy, it's bad for them.

I bet your kidlet has heard "no" once or twice, Zoom-boing.

Zoom-boing wrote:

Onna Suze Orman's repeated themes is that us parents need to stop sending kildets out the house at 18 with zero personal financial smarts. Suze Orman wrote a terrific book for young folks about personal finance called Young, Fabulous and Broke. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Since there is no mandated course on personal finance in high school, it is up to parents to teach their kidlets. I was not such a parent...I gave that kidlet everything she asked for, including an $800 designer dress to wear to her 8th grade prom. My mortgage payment wasn't as much as $800, for crying out loud. Talk about over-indulging a kidlet.

What has saved her, I think, was that in high school I got her a job working for a credit counseling agency. At the time I just wanted her to have a job doing something safe and reasonably well-paid. But she got to see financial ruin up close and personal. Learned what a credit score is, etc.

She's made mistakes but all in all, she's light years ahead of many her age. Teaching kidlets that Mom and Dad are like vending machines you can get whatever you want from is not just lazy, it's bad for them.

We're on the same wave length there Madeline. I have read that book and recommend it as well.

I aslo agree totally with educating youth about personal finance. I think a harsh truth coming out of college, is that college and school in general, do not prepare you for life afterward. They don't teach you about the importance of maintaining a good credit score, financing your first home, investing for retirement. etc. I truly believe that a lot of our political issues would go out the window if we all behaved more responsibily when it came to money.

Zoom-boing wrote:

We're on the same wave length there Madeline. I have read that book and recommend it as well.

I aslo agree totally with educating youth about personal finance. I think a harsh truth coming out of college, is that college and school in general, do not prepare you for life afterward. They don't teach you about the importance of maintaining a good credit score, financing your first home, investing for retirement. etc. I truly believe that a lot of our political issues would go out the window if we all behaved more responsibily when it came to money.

Bern, if I had listened to Suze Orman all my adult life I'd be writing this to you on an iPad from the veranda of my mansion in Tahiti. Acquiring wealth in America is a possibility for damned near all of us, if we control our spending and make wise choices. I used to think I could afford anything I could pay for, even if I paid for it with a credit card.

Suze Orman is onna my all-time heros.

Forum List

Back