You knew it was coming: GoFundMe Rejects Campaign To Support SC Officer Charged With Murder

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
GoFundMe Rejects Campaign To Support South Carolina Officer Charged With Murder ThinkProgress

The popular crowd-funding site GoFundMe rejected a campaign to raise money for the South Carolina officer charged with fatally shooting an unarmed black man last week.

Officer Michael Slager, 33, was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder for the killing of 50-year-old Walter Scott after video footage surfaced, showing Scott being shot multiple times with his back turned and running away. The video also appears to show Slager planting a taser by Scott’s body as evidence the shooting was in self-defense.

GoFundMe confirmed it removed a campaign supporting Slager.

“After review by our team, the campaign set up for Officer Slager was removed from GoFundMe due to a violation of our Terms and Conditions,” Kelsea Little, GoFundMe’s public relations manager, told ThinkProgress via email.

Details on exactly which terms and conditions were breached were not disclosed due to privacy protections. GoFundMe can only “discuss the details of campaigns with the organizers,” Little said.

News of the campaign having been removed began circulating on Twitter after the campaign’s organizer who has set up a Twitter account supporting Officer Slager tweeted that GoFundMe rejected the page.

GoFundMe Rejects Campaign To Support South Carolina Officer Charged With Murder ThinkProgress

The popular crowd-funding site GoFundMe rejected a campaign to raise money for the South Carolina officer charged with fatally shooting an unarmed black man last week.

Officer Michael Slager, 33, was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder for the killing of 50-year-old Walter Scott after video footage surfaced, showing Scott being shot multiple times with his back turned and running away. The video also appears to show Slager planting a taser by Scott’s body as evidence the shooting was in self-defense.

GoFundMe confirmed it removed a campaign supporting Slager.

“After review by our team, the campaign set up for Officer Slager was removed from GoFundMe due to a violation of our Terms and Conditions,” Kelsea Little, GoFundMe’s public relations manager, told ThinkProgress via email.

Details on exactly which terms and conditions were breached were not disclosed due to privacy protections. GoFundMe can only “discuss the details of campaigns with the organizers,” Little said.

News of the campaign having been removed began circulating on Twitter after the campaign’s organizer who has set up a Twitter account supporting Officer Slager tweeted that GoFundMe rejected the page.
Very good. I applaud them. The cop is a low-life POS.

I agree and I also believe it was a troll smear attempt. All you have to do is read the twitter to see that.

I live in Charleston. Word here is that there are fund raisers going on for the ex cops family. He has two daughters and a pregnant wife. He obviously wont be providing for them again.

Thats what the fundraising is for.

The one's being reported by the progressives are for defense funds-not for the family.
I live in Charleston. Word here is that there are fund raisers going on for the ex cops family. He has two daughters and a pregnant wife. He obviously wont be providing for them again.

The one's being reported by the progressives are for defense funds-not for the family.

The Post and Courier Charleston SC News Sports Entertainment

He has star attorney Andy Savage. SC cops all.have PBA for defense...basically like malpractice insurance like doctors...it pays all the lawyer fees.

So...if the GoFundMe was for legal fees..then its a fraudulent troll. Because SC cops all.have that PBA legal insurance which pays all fees for anything on duty...even a murder charge. Andy Savage is well known as one of the handful of excellent lawyers PBA has on retainer for cops.

Funds are being raised for his kids.

Any effort to raise "legal defense" funds are a troll or fraud. He already has a free lawyer...all SC cops do.

Another sticky wicket.

He gets the same defense that is guaranteed every American and often denied to people of color. But, if GoFundMe doesn't want anything to do with this case, I don't blame them.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion.

The Post and Courier Charleston SC News Sports Entertainment

He has star attorney Andy Savage. SC cops all.have PBA for defense...basically like malpractice insurance like doctors...it pays all the lawyer fees.

So...if the GoFundMe was for legal fees..then its a fraudulent troll. Because SC cops all.have that PBA legal insurance which pays all fees for anything on duty...even a murder charge. Andy Savage is well known as one of the handful of excellent lawyers PBA has on retainer for cops.

Funds are being raised for his kids.

Any effort to raise "legal defense" funds are a troll or fraud. He already has a free lawyer...all SC cops do.

That's weird because it specifically says "defense fund"

That's weird because it specifically says "defense fund"

Read my last post. Its on Post and Courier site. Superstar lawyer Andy Savage has already taken his case. All South Carolina cops carry PBA insurance. ..like medical malpractice. ..which retains a free lawyer for them in case of any on duty event (SC is non union so PBA is something cops purchase independently for a few hundred bucks a year).

So...he already has the best lawyer in SC for free via PBA.

Any fundraising is either for family or its a fraud (to either be a troll....or worse...to steal money from donors).

His legal fees are $0 because of PBA (Southern States Police Benevolence Association).

His wife should have married better.

Forum List

Back