Yes or no.......

When I lived in El Paso my favorite gun store had an original 1863 Sharps carbine conversion (in very good shape) for $2500, that was over a year ago. On a whim I called to see if they still have it, not only do they still have it they offered to sell it to me for $1500...... Funds are still a little tight but I could probably do it, maybe........

wm_8257495.jpg

Decisions, decisions.......

That's a beauty!

If it comes with a lifetime supply of Popeye's fried Chicken then get it because there ain't no way you could hit a slow moving rabbit with that rifle....

When I lived in El Paso my favorite gun store had an original 1863 Sharps carbine conversion (in very good shape) for $2500, that was over a year ago. On a whim I called to see if they still have it, not only do they still have it they offered to sell it to me for $1500...... Funds are still a little tight but I could probably do it, maybe........

wm_8257495.jpg

If funds are tight, then why would you spend money on something that is just there.

If the store has lowered the price this might mean it'd be hard for you to move it on at a similar price in the future, which could cause problems.

Stuff is stuff after all.

wm_8257495.jpg

Guns are bad..McKay, but antiques are way kewl. Go into that store, ask to see the gun, take your time.....inspect it. Hand the gun back to the clerk and step back and make a phone call, talk softly for 15 seconds or so on the phone..then..listen for 5 seconds. Hang up the phone, take out $1000 and tell the clerk you can buy the gun for $1000. If he says no, thank him and walk out.

Strong possibility and even probability this weapon is a repro. Lots of them available. Price seems just too good.

Strong possibility and even probability this weapon is a repro. Lots of them available. Price seems just too good.
No it's not a repo, held it and inspected it numerous times when I lived down there, it's an original, it's in very good shape and the bore is clean though somewhat worn as would be expected. The problem for most collectors is it may be the fact that it has Japanese Imperial stamps on it (Late 1800s surplus arms sale to Japan), I find that rather unique. It may be the owner has passed on (it's been on consignment) and they just want to get rid of it or the owner told them to get what they can for it.

wm_8257495.jpg

If funds are tight, then why would you spend money on something that is just there.

If the store has lowered the price this might mean it'd be hard for you to move it on at a similar price in the future, which could cause problems.

Obviously you wouldn't understand and in very good condition they can go for up to $6K, there's not that many left. This is one piece (the type of carbine) I've been wanting to add to my collection for at least a decade
Don't worry, if I buy it we'll only have to eat ashes and wear sackcloth for a couple of months...........
No we won't, tight in this case means holding off another month or two on new tires for my truck, delaying buying a new laptop for the wife. We're not talking living on mac and cheese and Ramen noodles plus feeding the cats garbage for six months besides I also would prefer using cash not credit to purchase it, that's what I mean by tight.

wm_8257495.jpg

Obviously you wouldn't understand and in very good condition they can go for up to $6K, there's not that many left. This is one piece (the type of carbine) I've been wanting to add to my collection for at least a decade
Don't worry, if I buy it we'll only have to eat ashes and wear sackcloth for a couple of months...........
No we won't, tight in this case means holding off another month or two on new tires for my truck, delaying buying a new laptop for the wife. We're not talking living on mac and cheese and Ramen noodles plus feeding the cats garbage for six months besides I also would prefer using cash not credit to purchase it, that's what I mean by tight.

So if they can go for $6,000, who'd sell it for $1,500?

wm_8257495.jpg

So if they can go for $6,000, who'd sell it for $1,500?
Someone who's had it on the market for a couple of years with no takers besides this one's not in the very good category it's in the average good category. It was listed for $2500, the typical low end price. Besides, they remember me coming in often and drooling over it. Also it's a consignment, elderly lady who's husband has passed on and by now maybe she has also and the shop just want's to get rid of it.

Ringel05 said:
They had it for a couple of years at least.
Are You Sure It's What They Say It Is ??
I'd Be Wary
There Has To Be More Reputable Sources
Than Just Some Joint In El Paso To Check

wm_8257495.jpg

I knew that. :funnyface:

I'm eating noodles anyways. Noodles with WalMart chicken and "California Blend" vegetables.

:mm:

wm_8257495.jpg

I'm eating noodles anyways. Noodles with WalMart chicken and "California Blend" vegetables.

I have left over pork loin roast with a apple mustard glaze.......... :D
(Yeah, I'm a stinker......) :lol:

Ringel05 said:
I'd Be Wary
I've been collecting for twenty years as well as reenacting for twenty five years, pretty sure I know at least a little bit about this.......

wm_8257495.jpg

I have left over pork loin roast with a apple mustard glaze.......... :D
(Yeah, I'm a stinker......) :lol:

They're so cheap! Gah, I cannot justify getting any until I eat what I have.

I'm gonna get one and smoke it with Hickory. Dry rub and smoke. Or, I might just do the usual: Sour Citrus juice, garlic, salt n pepper.

Ringel05 said:
I've been collecting for twenty years as well as reenacting for twenty five years, pretty sure I know at least a little bit about this.......
OK Then
So What's Your Quandary ??

Ringel05 said:
I'd Be Wary

lol
Famous Last Words.....just when you knew you knew it all
So a gun worth $6,000 has been waiting...sitting.....for years......to find a buyer who'll snatch it for next to nothing.......uh huh...
Not to worry, you'll be in good company

How con artists fooled the top experts and raked in millions on fake paintings
No, that’s not a Jackson Pollock at a great price — it’s a FAKE

Another way to look at it.......
Even if it is a fake.....it passed your inspection so wouldn't it be worth every bit of $1000 to have it in your collection regardless?

Ringel05 said:
I'd Be Wary

lol
Famous Last Words.....just when you knew you knew it all
So a gun worth $6,000 has been waiting...sitting.....for years......to find a buyer who'll snatch it for next to nothing.......uh huh...
Not to worry, you'll be in good company

How con artists fooled the top experts and raked in millions on fake paintings
No, that’s not a Jackson Pollock at a great price — it’s a FAKE

Another way to look at it.......
Even if it is a fake.....it passed your inspection so wouldn't it be worth every bit of $1000 to have it in your collection regardless?
Ain't that sweet, the creature takes itself seriously because it reads into everything I say taking it all out of context to make it's own argument. Kinda like it does across the board......... :rofl:

Forum List

Back