wth would you NOT want a silencer for shtf?

Suppressors are highly over rated.
I can still hear you from a mile away unless you're shooting subsonic rounds.

True, the sonic crack is definitely a giveaway. However, you can only tell the path the bullet came in along, but NOT the direction. It's a 180 degree guess. Did it come from in front, or from the back?

If you've ever been shot at the direction is quite easy to tell no matter if a suppressor is used or not.

Untrue. The sonic crack is omnidirectional. The firing signature is very important for determining point of origin of the shot, and yes, I have been shot at.

Even a suppressed rifle is still quite loud.

"However, you can only tell the path the bullet came in along, but NOT the direction."

This is contradictory. If you can tell the path the round took you can tell the direction.

No, it's not. The bullet travels along a path, but the direction of travel is unknown. Assume you are facing north. When the bullet passes by you, you can't tell if it came from the north, or the south that's what the suppressor gives you. The elimination of the firing signature is very important.

In less your target is a hell of a long way off they're still going to hear the report.

If I found a need to hunt quietly I would use archery equipment, snares or traps all of which can usually be improvised from available materials or purchased for less than the $200 fee needed for a suppressor. Few people can get more than a very general idea about where a single unexpected shot came from.

True, the sonic crack is definitely a giveaway. However, you can only tell the path the bullet came in along, but NOT the direction. It's a 180 degree guess. Did it come from in front, or from the back?

If you've ever been shot at the direction is quite easy to tell no matter if a suppressor is used or not.

Untrue. The sonic crack is omnidirectional. The firing signature is very important for determining point of origin of the shot, and yes, I have been shot at.

"However, you can only tell the path the bullet came in along, but NOT the direction."

This is contradictory. If you can tell the path the round took you can tell the direction.

No, it's not. The bullet travels along a path, but the direction of travel is unknown. Assume you are facing north. When the bullet passes by you, you can't tell if it came from the north, or the south that's what the suppressor gives you. The elimination of the firing signature is very important.

In less your target is a hell of a long way off they're still going to hear the report.

Nope. 300 yards is enough. This has been tested over and over and over again by the people who's lives depend on it.

If I found a need to hunt quietly I would use archery equipment, snares or traps all of which can usually be improvised from available materials or purchased for less than the $200 fee needed for a suppressor. Few people can get more than a very general idea about where a single unexpected shot came from.

You would definitely want to keep your shooting to a minimum.
Rat traps tacked to the right trees can produce some squirrels,snares,fish traps Yo Yo's.
Shitload of ways to eat without wasting precious ammo and announcing your presence.

Nope. 300 yards is enough. This has been tested over and over and over again by the people who's lives depend on it.

Found this to be pretty interesting.
Gun Silencers Don t Make Them Anywhere Near Silent
them-anywhere-near-silent/

It appears that a suppressed rifle is around 135 decibels.

Noise Level Chart dB Levels of Common Sounds

Found this to be pretty interesting.
Gun Silencers Don t Make Them Anywhere Near Silent
them-anywhere-near-silent/

It appears that a suppressed rifle is around 135 decibels.

Noise Level Chart dB Levels of Common Sounds

Yep, that's why we hate it when people call them silencers. They're not. They're suppressors. Good ones will drop the sound level by 29 dB. That takes the sound level from gunshot to chainsaw use level. Gunshots can be heard quite a ways away. Chainsaws not so much. Also the suppressor will alter the sound signature so the average person won't even be able to realize it's a gun shot they are hearing.

I have suppressors for most of my shtf weapons. Firing signature is a big deal. If the "bad" guys can't hear me they won't come looking for me. I agree you don't need to chop the barrels off, and in fact doing so reduces the effectiveness of the ammunition by a considerable amount in some cases.

Suppressors are highly over rated.
I can still hear you from a mile away unless you're shooting subsonic rounds.

The best thing about a GOOD silencer, is absolutely no muzzle flash.... which is a benefit during darkness.

Most silencers reduce accuracy and decrease good trajectory though. But while performing a security or perimeter job during the hours of darkness.......it would be a GREAT benefit coupled with night vision or thermal imaging.

There is a place and a time for the application and use of silencers........not put a silencer on a weapon for permanent use.

Shadow 355 ( Former US Military )

The main reason I disagreed with our dearly departed know-it-all is that he was specifically advocating the use of suppressors in a SHTF situation.

After the collapse of society, have a more complex or complicated weapon is NOT a benefit. I not only believe in Murphy's Law, I think Murphy was an optimist. Sometimes things you think cannot go wrong will still go wrong. I don't want my primary means of defense to go down because of a gadget attached to the barrel.

The main reason I disagreed with our dearly departed know-it-all is that he was specifically advocating the use of suppressors in a SHTF situation.

After the collapse of society, have a more complex or complicated weapon is NOT a benefit. I not only believe in Murphy's Law, I think Murphy was an optimist. Sometimes things you think cannot go wrong will still go wrong. I don't want my primary means of defense to go down because of a gadget attached to the barrel.

And they do wear out. I could see having one for certain circumstances though.
A good bow for hunting would be the better solution to sound discipline.
Although arrows can be easily damaged or lost and with the power of todays bows making wood arrows is out of the question. Long bow maybe?

"And they do wear out. I could see having one for certain circumstances though.
Although arrows can be easily damaged or lost and with the power of todays bows making wood arrows is out of the question. Long bow maybe?"

Actually modern compound bows are usually LESS powerful than many bows in use centuries ago and homemade wooden arrows work just fine with long and recurve bows, Don't know about compounds. Don't use them and wouldn't want them for a SHTF situation. Too much can and does go wrong with them.

"And they do wear out. I could see having one for certain circumstances though.
Although arrows can be easily damaged or lost and with the power of todays bows making wood arrows is out of the question. Long bow maybe?"

Actually modern compound bows are usually LESS powerful than many bows in use centuries ago and homemade wooden arrows work just fine with long and recurve bows, Don't know about compounds. Don't use them and wouldn't want them for a SHTF situation. Too much can and does go wrong with them.

Compound bows will shatter wood arrows.
Which is why I suggested long bows. Recurves would also work since people shoot wood arrows withem regularly.
A cross bow would be nice buy you'd run into the same problem as you do with compound bows.

Seeing as you have no clue I will try to help you out. I have fired many properly suppressed rifles. And I assure you no one I ever shot at had any clue where the round came from.Not even at 100 yards.

Seeing as you have no clue I will try to help you out. I have fired many properly suppressed rifles. And I assure you no one I ever shot at had any clue where the round came from.Not even at 100 yards.

Maybe if your shooting a .22.
A suppressed .308 produces over 135 decibels or about the same as an unsuppressed .22
NC SILENCER Sounds decibels and suppressors

How about this? When you have ever actually served or shot somebody come back and we'll talk about it.

Last edited:
"How about this? When you have ever actually served or shot somebody come back and we'll talk about it"

I have. How about you? You have a point or just looking for a pissing match?

"How about this? When you have ever actually served or shot somebody come back and we'll talk about it"

I have. How about you? You have a point or just looking for a pissing match?

Pretty sure he's referring to my posts on suppressors and their effectiveness.
His claim is you can shoot a suppressed rifle and from 100 yards away and you wont be able to hear it. I say bullshit and posted up evidence backing my claim.

Not only won't you be able to hear it. But if there was a report by the time it got to the target his brains would have already existed his skull. Seen it many times.

Not only won't you be able to hear it. But if there was a report by the time it got to the target his brains would have already existed his skull. Seen it many times.

That is true of any bullet travelling faster than the sound. Even without a suppressor.

It is whether or not other people hear it.

.308 suppressed = 135 decibels. Assuming they missed or were shooting at someone else you'd damn sure hear it.
This new suppressor claims 78 decibels,and there are skeptics.
78 dB Suppressor Wait for it - The Firearm Blog

And here are the equivalent sounds for 78 decibels.
Noise Comparisons

Forum List

Back