WTA suspends tournaments in China due to concerns over Peng Shuai's safety

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This could get interesting with the Olympics around the corner (it seems the NHL may not even be going).

How small and feeble do the NBA look today?

The WTA announced on Wednesday that it is suspending all tournaments in China, including those held in Hong Kong, in response to the ongoing situation surrounding Peng Shuai, who accused a senior leader of the ruling Communist Party of sexual assault and was subsequently not seen in public for several days.

"In good conscience, I don’t see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault," Steve Simon, the chairman and CEO of the WTA, said in a statement. "Given the current state of affairs, I am also greatly concerned about the risks that all of our players and staff could face if we were to hold events in China in 2022."

This could get interesting with the Olympics around the corner (it seems the NHL may not even be going).

The WTA announced on Wednesday that it is suspending all tournaments in China, including those held in Hong Kong, in response to the ongoing situation surrounding Peng Shuai, who accused a senior leader of the ruling Communist Party of sexual assault and was subsequently not seen in public for several days.

"In good conscience, I don’t see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault," Steve Simon, the chairman and CEO of the WTA, said in a statement. "Given the current state of affairs, I am also greatly concerned about the risks that all of our players and staff could face if we were to hold events in China in 2022."
All sports should be suspended with China internationally.

Time to build that wall back in China

"Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai denies claiming sexual assault"

But who cares now. For a whole month, she eclipsed even the "totalitarian gulag" for the Uighur people in the "democratic press".

Tennis is not on the Winter Olympics bill.

But the WTA is leading the way in facing down China. They are the best sport governing body by far.

And hopefully the NHL will also slap China in the face.

Forum List

Back