Youngkin halted Ford battery plant efforts in Virginia over concerns about China

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s administration halted efforts to site a Ford battery plant in Virginia late last year over concerns about Chinese Communist Party influence.

Speaking to reporters after the annual State of the Commonwealth address Wednesday, Youngkin said his administration “felt that the right thing to do was to not recruit Ford as a front for China to America.”

A spokesperson for his office said the governor’s comments were linked to the possibility of Ford Motor Company building a battery manufacturing plant in Virginia that would be operated by Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., or CATL, a Chinese company that is the largest producer of electric vehicle batteries in the world and under the Ford agreement would retain ownership of the technology used in building the battery cells.

“Virginians should be wary of Chinese Communist intrusion into Virginia’s economy,” he said. “We welcome and encourage economic cooperation with international companies. … But let me be clear, ‘Made in Virginia’ cannot be a front for the Chinese Communist Party.”

Youngkin halted Ford battery plant efforts in Virginia over concerns about China - Virginia Mercury

Sure it cost us some jobs but this is the kind of leadership we need nationally to wean ourselves away from the chi-com's influence.

in the world and under the Ford agreement would retain ownership of the technology used in building the battery cells.

Something I've long noted when people complain about China stealing technology. The big problem is corporations going into agreements giving them the technology.

We will never learn.

"We"? Did you sign the agreement? I've never been asked to sign any such thing. I don't even live in Virginia. WTF are you babbling about anyway? That's not how we gave up our technology. Sounds like lots of good jobs out the window due to misplaced fear, fear, fear!

"We"? Did you sign the agreement? I've never been asked to sign any such thing. I don't even live in Virginia. WTF are you babbling about anyway? That's not how we gave up our technology. Sounds like lots of good jobs out the window due to misplaced fear, fear, fear!
Hey pecker-head.....Go fly your chi-com flag as your masters have ordered you to.

You are like Moonie.....A simple-minded contrarian.....But unlike him you are very mean-spirited about it.....I bet you are no fun at parties and have no friends.

Last edited:
Hey pecker-head.....Go fly your chi-com flag as your masters have ordered you to.

One does need to ask themselves.........why does Ford need China to run this plant? My guess is Ford is interested in the 1.5 billion people in China. They will sell out to access that market.

One does need to ask themselves.........why does Ford need China to run this plant? My guess is Ford is interested in the 1.5 billion people in China. They will sell out to access that market.
Yep, that's it in a nutshell. Auto makers don't have to put up with near the BS as far as regulations go. I once read where the US market is becoming more and more of a afterthought.

That's why you see all the really cool 4X4s from the auto manufactures in other countries.

This has everything to do laissez faire capitalism and nothing to do with communism. You idiots.
Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., or CATL, a Chinese company
Indeed.
The company started as a spin-off of Amperex Technology Limited (ATL), a previous business founded by Robin Zeng in 1999. ATL initially manufactured lithium-polymer batteries based on licensed technology, but later developed more reliable battery designs themselves. In 2005 ATL was acquired by Japan's TDK company, but Zeng continued as a manager for ATL. In 2012, Zeng and vice-chairman Huang Shilin spun-off the EV battery operations of ATL into the new company CATL. Until 2015, former parent TDK held a 15% stake in CATL.[8]
All very fascinating, I know, but where did this Zeng guy get the name "Amperex" from to begin with?.. Doesn't sound very Chinese, now does it? Great question. Glad you asked..
Originally located at 79 Washington Street in Brooklyn, New York, Amperex was a long-established manufacturer of transmitting tubes when they were acquired by the Dutch firm, Philips, (known more widely as Norelco in the US), around 1955.
So there you go. "We" sold out, completely, to the Dutch way back in 1955. Before I was even born.. You?

The Dutch. That's right, those "East India Company" bastards in cahoots with the British royals, raising taxes upon the Colonies "without representation." Thus the Boston Tea Party. A vicious circle completed. But wait,.. there's more..

Too late. Plus, like Tesla, they want to leverage CATL's rock bottom lithium battery costs without going into the mining business themselves. Germany and Canada? No problem. Virginia? Plain STUPID!

Too late. Plus, like Tesla, they want to leverage CATL's rock bottom lithium battery costs without going into the mining business themselves. Germany and Canada? No problem. Virginia? Plain STUPID!

I've noted that this has been going on for a very long time, many times in the past.

Sorry, I'll not allow China to run the next plant I open.
Me neither. Yet you said and still haven't retracted:
We will never learn.
And continue idiotically supplying thumb's down ratings galore with no accompanying rebuttal. You sound "like Moonie.....A simple-minded contrarian.....", only far less funny. More like 1srelluc, a "very mean-spirited""pecker-head....." dope who, unlike you, shall no doubt remain on my ignore list for eternity.

And continue idiotically supplying thumb's down ratings galore with no accompanying rebuttal. You sound "like Moonie.....A simple-minded contrarian.....", only far less funny. More like 1srelluc, a "very mean-spirited""pecker-head....." dope who, unlike you, shall no doubt remain on my ignore list for eternity.

I don't reply to rants. Just note I saw them.

Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s administration halted efforts to site a Ford battery plant in Virginia late last year over concerns about Chinese Communist Party influence.

Speaking to reporters after the annual State of the Commonwealth address Wednesday, Youngkin said his administration “felt that the right thing to do was to not recruit Ford as a front for China to America.”

A spokesperson for his office said the governor’s comments were linked to the possibility of Ford Motor Company building a battery manufacturing plant in Virginia that would be operated by Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., or CATL, a Chinese company that is the largest producer of electric vehicle batteries in the world and under the Ford agreement would retain ownership of the technology used in building the battery cells.

“Virginians should be wary of Chinese Communist intrusion into Virginia’s economy,” he said. “We welcome and encourage economic cooperation with international companies. … But let me be clear, ‘Made in Virginia’ cannot be a front for the Chinese Communist Party.”

Youngkin halted Ford battery plant efforts in Virginia over concerns about China - Virginia Mercury

Sure it cost us some jobs but this is the kind of leadership we need nationally to wean ourselves away from the chi-com's influence.
Chinese flag flying on a manufacturing facility in Virginia....

1673626608205.png

[Link]

Last edited:

LOL....But you could not stand responding in a round about way. :laughing0301:

I just keep you around for the entertainment value as you sure as hell don't provide any meaningful substance to a conversation, just mean-spirited contrarian tripe that I can poke fun at. ;)

Forum List

Back