WSJ: US Trade deficit climbs 10%

I agree the tariffs aren’t enough. President Trump only implemented a small tariff on very limited goods. I hope he kicks it up a notch.

Classic stupidity
How so? Tariffs are the only way to bring manufacturing back to the US. Otherwise you fully support moving all manufacturing to China and other third world shitholes. Unless of course you have some brilliant solution to fix the “trade deficit”.

He raised the tariffs.
The trade deficit rose.

Simple to see that it didn’t work.

Your argument that raising the tariffs higher will work does have some merit I suppose if there were just 2 countries on earth; the US and everyone else.

What you ignore for some bizarre reason is highlighted in this example.

1. ACME used be based in Anytown, USA. They moved to China to operate cheaper, pay less and avoid our environmental laws.
  2. ACME makes a widget in China. They sell it to Wal*Mart who imports it to the US. The cost to Wal*Mart is $1.00. They sell it for $3.00.
  3. A Tariff is applied of 100%. So now the cost to Wal*Mart is $2.00. They will now sell it for $4 to maintain their profit margin of $2.00 per unit.
The thought is that ACME will move their manufacturing to the US or that Wal*Mart will buy from a US supplier and cut ACME out of the deal all together.

But here is what you and Trump and everyone else doesn’t get. ACME’s access to the US market is just a piece of it’s global balance sheet. They are selling to Europe, Asia, Central America, South America. Probably selling to Canada. There are consumers in all of those places as well. All of those nations are not in a trade war and they sell to Aldi, Wal*Mart, etc.. in those locales as well.

Thinking you’ll cajole them into moving back to the US, paying more for labor, land, compliance, etc… is frankly stupid. What is even more brazenly idiotic is now, that we’re putting tariffs on stuff from the EU, Mexico, Australia, etc…if they do move their plant back to Anytown, USA, they can’t sell competitively to the EU, Mexico, Australia, etc… because of the retaliatory tariffs they have place on American goods.

Any CEO of a multinational who has 2 brain cells will see there is no upside to moving back to the US. Especially since all of this tariff nonsense will be gone in 2-6 years. Why go through the pain of opening up a new plant just to have to shut it down in less than a decade?

In other words you have no solution to the problem. Just write off all manufacturing jobs, yet still import loads of third world migrants.
The solution is to remove Trump & his tariffs.

Of course! Elect another dumb Democrat to office, that way every country in the world can continue fucking America over in trade and more and more manufacturing jobs can be shipped overseas or to Mexico. That’s been working great for the US for the last 30 years!

I buy & sell products made from steel. When the steel tariffs were placed on China & Europe & Canada, etc, all the US steel manufacturers did was raise their prices. This caused prices to go up. Some ate some of that increase because their export customers would just get their goods no longer from the US. Either business was lost or it was no longer as profitable.

I know my profit margins for export dropped 60%.

Thank you Trump. Thank you all the dumbasses that elected him. He knows NOTHING about trade.

You’re full of shit. You claim they are raising prices, yet this is causing the industry to lose business. I guess they aren’t smart enough to keep their prices lower and competitive.
You aren't actually this stupid, are you?

Oh, wait. That's right. You are.

Why do you think raising tariffs is called "protectionist"?

Think about it.
Protectionism is raising tariffs against like economies, like the EU. We don’t do that, yet the EU does use protectionism tariffs against the US. Funny how you anti-tariff dopes can never explain why EU tariffs against us aren’t a terrible idea.
The EU & US have a wide range of tariffs on each other.

Wrong. The EU has huge tariffs on the US. Just look at how much a US vehicle costs in Europe. Yet we have virtually no tariffs on the EU at all.

None of you moronic liberals has been able to explain how Europe’s manufacturing economy is doing so well. All while you claim US manufacturing is all going to “automation” only anyway.

You are wrong about EU tariffs in general.

EU doesn't have Trump/ That is why they are doing better.

Classic stupidity
How so? Tariffs are the only way to bring manufacturing back to the US. Otherwise you fully support moving all manufacturing to China and other third world shitholes. Unless of course you have some brilliant solution to fix the “trade deficit”.

He raised the tariffs.
The trade deficit rose.

Your argument that raising the tariffs higher will work does have some merit I suppose if there were just 2 countries on earth; the US and everyone else.

1. ACME used be based in Anytown, USA. They moved to China to operate cheaper, pay less and avoid our environmental laws.
  2. ACME makes a widget in China. They sell it to Wal*Mart who imports it to the US. The cost to Wal*Mart is $1.00. They sell it for $3.00.
  3. A Tariff is applied of 100%. So now the cost to Wal*Mart is $2.00. They will now sell it for $4 to maintain their profit margin of $2.00 per unit.
The thought is that ACME will move their manufacturing to the US or that Wal*Mart will buy from a US supplier and cut ACME out of the deal all together.

But here is what you and Trump and everyone else doesn’t get. ACME’s access to the US market is just a piece of it’s global balance sheet. They are selling to Europe, Asia, Central America, South America. Probably selling to Canada. There are consumers in all of those places as well. All of those nations are not in a trade war and they sell to Aldi, Wal*Mart, etc.. in those locales as well.

Thinking you’ll cajole them into moving back to the US, paying more for labor, land, compliance, etc… is frankly stupid. What is even more brazenly idiotic is now, that we’re putting tariffs on stuff from the EU, Mexico, Australia, etc…if they do move their plant back to Anytown, USA, they can’t sell competitively to the EU, Mexico, Australia, etc… because of the retaliatory tariffs they have place on American goods.

Any CEO of a multinational who has 2 brain cells will see there is no upside to moving back to the US. Especially since all of this tariff nonsense will be gone in 2-6 years. Why go through the pain of opening up a new plant just to have to shut it down in less than a decade?

In other words you have no solution to the problem. Just write off all manufacturing jobs, yet still import loads of third world migrants.

Of course! Elect another dumb Democrat to office, that way every country in the world can continue fucking America over in trade and more and more manufacturing jobs can be shipped overseas or to Mexico. That’s been working great for the US for the last 30 years!

Manufacturing output in the US has increased steadily for the last 30 years

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Classic stupidity

He raised the tariffs.
The trade deficit rose.

We have trade agreements that work.

Democrat Clinton : Balanced budget
Republican Bush worst recession in 80 years
Obama: Recovered from Bus recession, long streak of economic growth
Trump : rising deficits, fucked global trade.

Care to point out how the trade policy is hurting manufacturing?

The only thing hurting US farmers are China’s tariffs. But you claim tariffs don’t work. So which is it?

I buy & sell products made from steel. When the steel tariffs were placed on China & Europe & Canada, etc, all the US steel manufacturers did was raise their prices. This caused prices to go up. Some ate some of that increase because their export customers would just get their goods no longer from the US. Either business was lost or it was no longer as profitable.

I know my profit margins for export dropped 60%.

Thank you Trump. Thank you all the dumbasses that elected him. He knows NOTHING about trade.

You’re full of shit. You claim they are raising prices, yet this is causing the industry to lose business. I guess they aren’t smart enough to keep their prices lower and competitive.

Think about it.
Protectionism is raising tariffs against like economies, like the EU. We don’t do that
We most certainly do!

Europe Feels the Squeeze of the Trump Trade Tariffs

Answer the question. Why do you think raising tariffs is called "protectionist"?

Read the article I just linked, and see if you can figure it out. Though I don't have much optimism you will.

Thanks for proving my point. Europe is shitting their pants over proposed tariffs against them. Meanwhile your article completely omits the fact that the EU uses “protectionist tariffs” against the US automotive industry. Funny how President Trump’s mere threat of raising tariffs against German autos is called a “trade war” but the EU’s use of them isn’t even mentioned. The truth is we’ve been in a trade war for 30 years and we have been losing it the entire time. President Trump is willing to fight back.

little known fact about trade deficits...the better the economy, the bigger the deficit.

the lemmings have been told for a decade that trade deficits are evil and will be the death of our country, yet none of them can tell you why

I sorta disagree with this on some level.

Let's say I buy a $100 widget from Walmart that's made in China.

$80 goes to Walmart and the shipping companies.

$10 goes to big government tariffs (which I have some support for being and America First guy, but I also recognize the genius of the Marshall Plan in fighting communism)

$10 goes to China.

That $10 helps fund whatever manufacturing facilities they have which make widgets and nuclear submarines.
That $10 is no longer in America.
That $10 is helping build their SpaceForce not ours.

Its one thing if we have a deficit with Mexico, Ethiopia, or some third world country. Our $'s will go way further over there building their country. Our $ will raise their standard of living and keep some stupid communist revolution from happening.

Don't get me wrong, trading with China has made the world a more friendly place and I would keep doing it. I'm just realistic about trade deficits with countries we want to...what's the naval aircraft carrier term....project power over.

Yes, but the widget cost you 40 dollars less than if it had been made in the US, so now you have 40 more dollars to spend in the US helping our manufacturing facilities which make other things and beyond stupid SpaceForce.

Yes, that $40 can go towards a new widget when the first one breaks in three days.

He raised the tariffs.
The trade deficit rose.

We have trade agreements that work.

Democrat Clinton : Balanced budget
Republican Bush worst recession in 80 years
Obama: Recovered from Bus recession, long streak of economic growth
Trump : rising deficits, fucked global trade.

We had trade agreements that favored foreign countries and US companies that moved manufacturing overseas.

Your revisionist history is hilarious. Clinton didn’t balance shit, he refused to sign the balance budget and shut the government down in protest of it. He signed it with gnashing teeth thanks to the Republican Congress led by Newt.
Bush had to deal with 9/11, wars, and the Democrat’s housing and lending policies that were decades in the making.
The Hussein recovered us from nothing, he doubled our national debt, oversaw the highest real unemployment rates in decades, and record numbers on welfare.

President Trump has boosted our economy, unemployment at record lows, highest percentage of people back in the workforce, jobs being added every month. If we had a Congress on board we would be doing even better.

Think about it.
Protectionism is raising tariffs against like economies, like the EU. We don’t do that, yet the EU does use protectionism tariffs against the US. Funny how you anti-tariff dopes can never explain why EU tariffs against us aren’t a terrible idea.
The EU & US have a wide range of tariffs on each other.

Wrong. The EU has huge tariffs on the US. Just look at how much a US vehicle costs in Europe. Yet we have virtually no tariffs on the EU at all.

None of you moronic liberals has been able to explain how Europe’s manufacturing economy is doing so well. All while you claim US manufacturing is all going to “automation” only anyway.

You are wrong about EU tariffs in general.

EU doesn't have Trump/ That is why they are doing better.

Nope, you re wrong. The EU has a 10% tariff on US vehicles.

unfree trade: Trump may have a point about EU tariffs, ifo says

That is your argument? They don’t have Trump, so that’s why they are winning, even though they use tariffs. Brilliant. You just proved you have zero credibility on this issue and you should run along and stop embarrassing yourself.

Protective tariffs have damaged the American economy ever time the US has adopted them in our 250 year history, especially in the 1920's, leading up to a global trade war that caused the Great Depression. Under Trump, whose grasp on history does not reach further back that the last TV commercial he watched while tuned in to Fox News, they are doing it again. Americans are paying an additional $70 billion in tariffs, there are no jobs returning from overseas, the auto companies are still closing down US plants, and your Fruit of the Loom is still imported from the Philippines.

Protective tariffs have damaged the American economy ever time the US has adopted them in our 250 year history, especially in the 1920's, leading up to a global trade war that caused the Great Depression. Under Trump, whose grasp on history does not reach further back that the last TV commercial he watched while tuned in to Fox News, they are doing it again. Americans are paying an additional $70 billion in tariffs, there are no jobs returning from overseas, the auto companies are still closing down US plants, and your Fruit of the Loom is still imported from the Philippines.

Yet another moron who can’t explain how and why the EU has been using tariffs for decades, and their economy is doing just fine.

Notice all the other dolts have tucked tail and ran.

Yet another moron who can’t explain how and why the EU has been using tariffs for decades, and their economy is doing just fine.

Ok, so you are just fine with Trump's tariffs increasing our trade deficit 12% per year, and costing Americans $69 billion per year. In the meantime, I have a terrific investment opportunity for you. I am thinking of manufacturing cotton underwear in South Carolina. I figure that I can make it profitable at around $65 per pair of men's briefs. Send me a PM, and I can give you all the details!

Let us know when you get tired of winning.

little known fact about trade deficits...the better the economy, the bigger the deficit.

the lemmings have been told for a decade that trade deficits are evil and will be the death of our country, yet none of them can tell you why

Mostly, but not always true. And that only applies to countries that are more consumption based (like America is) than manufacturing based (like America was).

If your theory is true, then please tell me why during 2008 was the goods trade deficit higher then it was last year. Yet in 2008, the Real GDP growth rate was NEGATIVE 2.75% while last year it was 2.47%?

Plus, if your theory is true, then why was the goods trade deficit much higher in 2015 then 2013 - even though the real GDP growth rate was higher in 2013 then 2015 (2.61% vs. 2.00%, respectively)? By your statement, the trade numbers should have been reversed.

Also, the economy has grown tepidly at best for years...yet trade deficits have skyrocketed. Which again disproves your theory (to a point).

Foreign Trade - U.S. Trade with World, Seasonally Adjusted
US Real GDP Growth Rate by Year

There are numerous reasons for the rising trade deficit. But Trump's tariffs are undoubtedly the principle reason.

Last edited:

Ok, so you are just fine with Trump's tariffs increasing our trade deficit 12% per year, and costing Americans $69 billion per year. In the meantime, I have a terrific investment opportunity for you. I am thinking of manufacturing cotton underwear in South Carolina. I figure that I can make it profitable at around $65 per pair of men's briefs. Send me a PM, and I can give you all the details!

Of course he is.

America could be in the middle of a depression and most of his Trumpbots would still be claiming that Trump had it ALL under control.

Just like die hard Nazi's felt just before Hitler shot himself.

Not out of shape at all. Pointing out the tariffs are not stopping the influx of goods from over-seas.
We’re told by the blob that trade deficits are bad. If a trade deficit of $100B is bad, a deficit one $110B is worse right? By that measure, we’re losing.

As a consumer of the goods of the world, the products, the food, the music, the art, the services…. I’m quite content spending my dollars where I get the most ROI.

I agree the tariffs aren’t enough. President Trump only implemented a small tariff on very limited goods. I hope he kicks it up a notch.

Classic stupidity

He raised the tariffs.
The trade deficit rose.

In other words, the truth sucks.

It starts at the 1:00 mark.

All of the protectionism in the world isn’t going to make a difference. You know how I know; you can’t argue with the ECON 101 example I listed above.

The “trade deficit” doesn’t mean a damned thing. All it means is we buy more shit than anyone else on the planet because we are wealthy.

The dollar is strong. We are buying more products from overseas. It’s that simple.

Dimms suck at econ 101.
Tariffs caused prices to increase on US made Product. FACT 101 asshole. The dollar was higher before in 2015/2016. Fund a new excuse for the fucking moron you elected.

The “trade deficit” doesn’t mean a damned thing. All it means is we buy more shit than anyone else on the planet because we are wealthy.
Then why does Trump bitch about it? Why does Trump -say we are losing money with trade with China. He ran on the evil trade deficits & now that he has totally fucked them, you claim they are meaningless.

Make up your mind, dumbass.

Classic stupidity

He raised the tariffs.
The trade deficit rose.

Wow, who knew we had Democrat Presidents all of the past 30 years.

Who gave them ax cuts to take jobs overseas???

Who fought to keep them?

Who wanted to allow corps to repatriot profits tax free?

Who is the bitch to corporate America.

You Trumpettes are dumber than shit.

Forum List

Back