Would You Support The Death Penalty for White Collar Crimes?

No...

I don't support the death penalty. I should be abolished. It costs this country billions of dollars and make our streets less safe.

The death penalty does not cost that much money---the appeals do. I wonder how much it costs to jail and put to death a convicted person in a state like Texas vs Mass.?

I don't support the death penalty myself, but I do not think the $$$$ argument has ever been a valid one.

Really??? On THIS planet?

California
Report of the California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice

“The additional cost of confini...

You are talking about the processes of appeal. The execution of the death penalty itself costs very little.Theoretically, if states tightened up the trial process and sentencing guidelines and a few other things, the death penalty appeals process would cost very little as an added cost.

I am not a big defender of the death penalty, but the silly cost estimates remind me of defense spending cost estimates.

We have standing Armies, police and courts, yet when an individual instance of something is tallied for monetary purposes the costs reflect creative accounting methods.

Say we have a fully staffed fire department. Then we have one fire alarm. Accounting methods defining the costs of that one alarm response will include the costs that would be there whether or not the fire department responded or not. It's not a true estimate of the cost of answering that one alarm.

The death penalty does not cost that much money---the appeals do. I wonder how much it costs to jail and put to death a convicted person in a state like Texas vs Mass.?

I don't support the death penalty myself, but I do not think the $$$$ argument has ever been a valid one.

California

You are talking about the processes of appeal. The execution of the death penalty itself costs very little.Theoretically, if states tightened up the trial process and sentencing guidelines and a few other things, the death penalty appeals process would cost very little as an added cost.

I am not a big defender of the death penalty, but the silly cost estimates remind me of defense spending cost estimates.

We have standing Armies, police and courts, yet when an individual instance of something is tallied for monetary purposes the costs reflect creative accounting methods.

Say we have a fully staffed fire department. Then we have one fire alarm. Accounting methods defining the costs of that one alarm response will include the costs that would be there whether or not the fire department responded or not. It's not a true estimate of the cost of answering that one alarm.

I think you might want to include the COST of white collar crime. What about a guy like Bernie Madoff, of this latest Goldman Sachs rip off. These are the real costs of white collar crime. Put a couple of these white collar criminals to death, and watch the crime rate drop off.

California

I think you might want to include the COST of white collar crime. What about a guy like Bernie Madoff, of this latest Goldman Sachs rip off. These are the real costs of white collar crime. Put a couple of these white collar criminals to death, and watch the crime rate drop off.

:lol:

No. Capital punishment should be reserved for the most egregious crimes against another person or living thing.

They should be forced to labour and produce that which is necessary for their own sustenance. Their victims should not be forced to support them.
Tell that to the people that got booted from their homes, moved into tent cities or had family members commit suicide over the ordeal.
Yes.
Kill the motherfuckers.Public execution. Firing squad.

For certain white collar crimes that would throw a whole nation's economy into crisis, would you support the death penalty? Would you support handing out the death penalty to those responsible if it could be proven that those responsible knew and didn't care---that greed overrode civic duty and fiscal responsibilities?

I support that for elected officials and judges.

For non death penalty white colar crimes make the penalty directly linked to the amont of money ripped off.
It is just flat wrong for someone who steals a $500 TV to get more prison time than someone that ripped off millions.

and on corporate fines Make them equal to double the amount that the company made off of whatever they are bing fined for.
Make fines punishment not just a cost of doing business.
Ie a corp does something wrong and profits a few million, by the time it goes thru the courts and they are fined it is maybe 100K or so fine.

Last edited:
For certain white collar crimes that would throw a whole nation's economy into crisis, would you support the death penalty? Would you support handing out the death penalty to those responsible if it could be proven that those responsible knew and didn't care---that greed overrode civic duty and fiscal responsibilities?

I support that for elected officials and judges.

For non death penalty white colar crimes make the penalty directly linked to the amont of money ripped off.
It is just flat wrong for someone who steals a $500 TV to get more prison time than someone that ripped off millions.

and on corporate fines Make them equal to double the amount that the company made off of whatever they are bing fined for.
Make fines punishment not just a cost of doing business.
Ie a corp does something wrong and profits a few million, by the time it goes thru the courts and they are fined it is maybe 100K or so fine.

It is those CEO's and execs that should be shown prison cells and the death penalty, and not these country-club dorms.

prison-1-2.jpg

Last edited:
The unfortuante truth is:
In America you get just as much "justice" as you can afford.

Unless you have a celebrety exemption....

No. Capital punishment should be reserved for the most egregious crimes against another person or living thing.

They should be forced to labour and produce that which is necessary for their own sustenance. Their victims should not be forced to support them.
Tell that to the people that got booted from their homes, moved into tent cities or had family members commit suicide over the ordeal.
Yes.

Killing people for revenge is extremely petty and not morally justifiable.

Yes.

It is not revenge, it is a deterent others who might consider white collar crime. White collar crime hurts all of us, and those Execs do it big time.

Yes.

It is not revenge, it is a deterent others who might consider white collar crime. White collar crime hurts all of us, and those Execs do it big time.

What evidence do you have that it's a more effective deterrent than life in prison?

And he obviously wanted it as a deterrent when he was shouting "kill the motherfuckers".

The death penalty is reserved for the most heinous of crimes and should stay that way. It is a sort of revenge/justice concept and that I have no moral qualms with. The worst should be put to death and the process should be more refined and cheaper. I would prefer that its use expanded but not to the point that it is used on white collar criminals. While some of these crimes are quite bad they do not compare with murder, rape or molestation.

That's a great idea.

People in prison should have to work while in prison to receive anything. If they choose not to work, they will receive basic accomodations, which would include solitary confinement in a 4'x8' cell, 40 oz. water/day, and 3 cups of unflavored oatmeal/day.

If they wish to improve their existance, they can work.
That is a great idea. I have no problem with prisoners used for basic labor. Chain gangs should still be utilized for many of the unskilled labor that is required for building roads and other government projects. The thing that gets me is we have abolished the chain gang and the ability for an inmate to earn their keep and at the same time outsourced criminal labor to corporations where they are able to turn these people into glorified sweatshop workers. Where the former is a good thing and not allowed the latter is abhorrent and common practice.

The death penalty is reserved for the most heinous of crimes and should stay that way. It is a sort of revenge/justice concept and that I have no moral qualms with. The worst should be put to death and the process should be more refined and cheaper. I would prefer that its use expanded but not to the point that it is used on white collar criminals. While some of these crimes are quite bad they do not compare with murder, rape or molestation.

That's a great idea.

People in prison should have to work while in prison to receive anything. If they choose not to work, they will receive basic accomodations, which would include solitary confinement in a 4'x8' cell, 40 oz. water/day, and 3 cups of unflavored oatmeal/day.

If they wish to improve their existance, they can work.
That is a great idea. I have no problem with prisoners used for basic labor. Chain gangs should still be utilized for many of the unskilled labor that is required for building roads and other government projects. The thing that gets me is we have abolished the chain gang and the ability for an inmate to earn their keep and at the same time outsourced criminal labor to corporations where they are able to turn these people into glorified sweatshop workers. Where the former is a good thing and not allowed the latter is abhorrent and common practice.

You might want to check out Unicor, the Federal Prison system provides over 200,000 inmate jobs according to their annual report. The work is optional, and the pay is way less than minimum age. The work is at the option of prisoners, and is considered a privilege. State programs do even more. Visit the Unicor website, link is follows.

www.unicor.gov - UNICOR - Federal Prison Industries

What evidence do you have that it's a more effective deterrent than life in prison?

And he obviously wanted it as a deterrent when he was shouting "kill the motherfuckers".

The concept of "Do or Die" is a pretty persuasive way to force honesty out of potential white collar criminals.

Do+or+Die+Pirate.jpg

No!

It's all about eye for an eye. If you take a life, you should be executed.

Although i'm all for executing child molesters and rapists. they'll never serve a useful purpose anyway.

If you help in bankrupting a nation, you should be jailed for life with nothing but bread and water. Every penny you have in the bank should be confiscated. Let the fuckers now get a taste of how those they screwed are now having to live.

No!

It's all about eye for an eye. If you take a life, you should be executed.

Although i'm all for executing child molesters and rapists. they'll never serve a useful purpose anyway.

If you help in bankrupting a nation, you should be jailed for life with nothing but bread and water. Every penny you have in the bank should be confiscated. Let the fuckers now get a taste of how those they screwed are now having to live.

Don't waste our time with these guys. Give them a trial, and execute them. No discussion necessary. This approach will stop most of them.

No.

I don't support the death penalty.

Ordinarily I would say absolutely not!! But then I think back to the last time I had to reformat a hard drive because my daughter downloaded a virus and I think... well, maybe their are some exceptions to that rule! Well, one exception anyway.

No...

I don't support the death penalty. I should be abolished. It costs this country billions of dollars and make our streets less safe.

California Girl, already noted this, but I was going to say that I do not agree that you should be abolished. I have not really discussed much with you, but I have never found any reason to think you should be abolished.

You haven't created any computer viruses have you? If so, I reserve the right to revise and extend my comment. ;)

Immie

No.

Fine, then you can pay the $20,000 a year it takes to house a prisoner. Simply said, "Put your money where your mouth is."

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/statsbrief/cost.html

Last edited:

No.

Fine, then you can pay the $20,000 a year it takes to house a prisoner. Simply said, "Put your money where your mouth is."

Statistics in Brief - Inmate Cost Per Day

So you want to kill people to save a few bucks? Then you want to complain about white collar criminals?

Oh and would you be willing to kill a death row inmate yourself? As in flip the switch, or pull the trigger?

Forum List

Back