CDZ Would this be acceptable in 2021?

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
This is a photo from 1959:

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 6.27.37 PM.png

It was in 1959. The crew at the garage were celebrating their boss's daughter having been selected "Miss Lube Rack" 1959. At the time it was acceptable and the young lady went on to a career in a generally respected line of work. But could she under today's rules?

Does anyone recognize the lady?

The "who" probably is of no matter.....please discuss only the acceptability of this sort of promotion!

View attachment 478238

It was in 1959. The crew at the garage were celebrating their boss's daughter having been selected "Miss Lube Rack" 1959. At the time it was acceptable and the young lady went on to a career in a generally respected line of work. But could she under today's rules?

The "who" probably is of no matter.....please discuss only the acceptability of this sort of promotion!

Here's your first hint, Henry.

That's not 1959, it's 1951.

Here it is uncropped:

mullers-car-wash-employees-pose-with-beauty-contest-participant-miss-picture-id146842744

And here is the source.

Your turn. No, we do not know the lady's name or what she went on to. Why don't you tell us.
Hair splitting is off topic. Anything to contribute?

Its NOT Nancy Pelosi. That's the rumor going around

Nancy Pelosi, who was previously named Nancy D’Alesandro, was born in Baltimore, Maryland on March 26, 1940 ( here ). However, at the time the picture in this claim was captured, she was only 11 years old and so evidently could not be the woman featured in the photograph.

Last edited:

View attachment 478238

Seems fine to me. Used to be, especially back then, no garage was complete without a Rigid Tool calendar. That photo would be tame for Rigid Tool. They make great tools and used to make great calendars.

They still have tool calendars but are hard to get these days. Same with hot rod calendars. Not sure if it is new moral attitudes are women are no longer interested to do them.

Its NOT Nancy Pelosi. That's the rumor going around

Nancy Pelosi, who was previously named Nancy D’Alesandro, was born in Baltimore, Maryland on March 26, 1940 ( here ). However, at the time the picture in this claim was captured, she was only 11 years old and so evidently could not be the woman featured in the photograph.

Way to go, Plot Spoiler. Care to hazard a guess as to why Henry claimed the photo was from 1959?

View attachment 478238

Here it is uncropped:

mullers-car-wash-employees-pose-with-beauty-contest-participant-miss-picture-id146842744

And here is the source. That's from Life Magazine.

Here's an alternate angle:

carros_antigos_car_wash_21.jpeg

>> In 1951 the Muller Bros., an Oldsmobile-Firestone Tire-Car Wash-Cafe-Body Shop-Home Appliance-Auto Supply Dealer located at Sunset and Ivar in L.A., California, named their complex “The Landing.” With good reason, they had everything you could want on one lot. It was giant compared to most new and used car dealers of the time, [it] even had a control tower. They came up with the idea to hold a beauty contest to celebrate the 3,000,000th car to be pulled through its car wash. Life Magazine was there to photo-document the PR event for the rest of us to look back on. Obviously, all the girls, the winner of the beauty contest, and the car wash winning dude, look pretty happy. <<​

Your turn. No, we do not know the lady's name or what she went on to. Why don't you tell us. We have no indication, for instance, that this beauty contest winner was "the boss' daughter". By all means elucidate.

And for bonus points tell the class how far an 11-year-old would have to walk to Hollywood from Baltimore.

I must say, this is almost as much fun as busting Fingerboy and his "newly discovered photos" of trolley tracks in Wisconsin.

Fact Check:

The black-and-white photo shows five uniformed workers standing around a woman. A sign in front of the group reads, “Miss Lube Rack.” Text accompanying the photo attempts to suggest that the woman pictured is Pelosi.

However, the photo does not show a young Pelosi. Through a reverse image search, Check Your Fact found the photo on Getty Images’ website where its description revealed the photo was taken in 1951 as part of the LIFE picture collection.

“Muller’s Car Wash employees pose with beauty contest participant, ‘Miss Lube Rack,’ Hollywood, California, 1951,” the original photo’s caption reads.

View attachment 478238

Yes it would be acceptable.

Is it Melania?

View attachment 478238

Here it is uncropped:

And here is the source.

Your turn. No, we do not know the lady's name or what she went on to. Why don't you tell us.
Hair splitting is off topic. Anything to contribute?
He's just envious.

He wanted to be miss lube rack SO bad.

Come on, people, this is 2021! These kinds of photos are totally offensive in this day and age.

Couldn't they have found a man who thought he was a woman to be miss lube rack, instead?

A reminder, please, that this is The CDZ.

The source from which my copy of the photo originated presented it as 1959. I make no claim to the accuracy. Nor do I know the name of the person. The discussion sought was concerning whether such a photo would be acceptable in today's climate. Also whether a person so posing could be afforded any respect in public life.

Please consider where you are posting before violating the rules.

I still don't know who it is. I'll accept "1951". My opinion is that an individual having post that way would (unfairly) be be severely frowned upon. In 2021's social climate such a person likely would be shunned. Stripped of any government or corporate position.

I find myself wondering what a "Major University" might do in 2021 were a student to be "used" in such a way to promote a private business. Would there be expulsion? Sanction of some kind? Would the action be in any way different if the picture were in support of some radical cause?

It wouldn't be allowed these days. The flack the woman would have taken would be from the Left ,N.O.W. and others . More from them then the Jerry Falwell type folks. It is a sad thing the judgment they put on people not knowing that person at all.
'' Judge Not Lest Ye be Judged Likewise by God'' ''Let ye who is without sin cast the first stone'' ''Never Judge some one until you walked awhile in there shoes'' '' Before you look down the nose at some one ,go live there lives from birth until now and see how you turn out.'' These are he words that go through my mind when I see some one in the media get attacked in public over some thing that may or may not happened in there past.
The last quote was from my Father :thup:

Forum List

Back