CDZ Would every state have handled this massive emergency as well as they have in Texas?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Most of us outside the U.S and many inside, know that Texas is the greatest state in the union and how they have handled themselves throughout this absolute life changing event has been astounding for the most part. I have to say, all things considered, to date they have carried themselves very well.

First, let's consider the size impacted. It's massive.

Now consider the population size, in the fourth largest city in America.

Now consider in general, the teamwork, the call to action, the actions themselves. Minimal complaining, noone arguing and bickering, people taking charge, others instinctively knowing what to do if noone is there to lead.

I believe most people anywhere revert to certain characteristics in times of crises, but would there be such unifying actions in other states? Or would it be like in a Hollywood movie with people complaining, fighting and getting into a debate while the storm and flooding came closer and endangered more?

I've been glued to the TV, seen the good and the sad, but I also see a defiant group where those who were fortunate don't bat an eye to help. As one guy said yesterday in his own, Texan way when CNN praised for all he had done to help as he was in his boat, he brushed it off quickly and strongly, "this is nothing. I'm lucky, my home is ok. The least I can do is help others who aren't as fortunate." He then used the opportunity on CNN not to tell his stories of heroism, but to call others to get into the act and use their boats.

Unique to Texas?

Most of us outside the U.S and many inside, know that Texas is the greatest state in the union and how they have handled themselves throughout this absolute life changing event has been astounding for the most part. I have to say, all things considered, to date they have carried themselves very well.

Now consider in general, the teamwork, the call to action, the actions themselves. Minimal complaining, noone arguing and bickering, people taking charge, others instinctively knowing what to do if noone is there to lead.

I believe most people anywhere revert to certain characteristics in times of crises, but would there be such unifying actions in other states? Or would it be like in a Hollywood movie with people complaining, fighting and getting into a debate while the storm and flooding came closer and endangered more?

I've been glued to the TV, seen the good and the sad, but I also see a defiant group where those who were fortunate don't bat an eye to help. As one guy said yesterday in his own, Texan way when CNN praised for all he had done to help as he was in his boat, he brushed it off quickly and strongly, "this is nothing. I'm lucky, my home is ok. The least I can do is help others who aren't as fortunate." He then used the opportunity on CNN not to tell his stories of heroism, but to call others to get into the act and use their boats.

Unique to Texas?
Yeah the overwhelmingly Democrat leaning city of Houston has done a pretty good job. Great display of why government is important.

Unique to Texas?

Texas has behaved admirably

But past storms have shown the real problems don't reveal themselves for weeks and months after the storm. People become frustrated because power hasn't returned. They become angry because it takes so long to get paid by your insurance. Why is it taking so long for me to get back into my house? They become irate when basic public services take so long to be restored.

We will see how well Texas performs. Texas prides themselves on being a low tax state. That means they may have scrimped on public works budget or other budget items that were considered non-essential. They now may be essential

When tragedy strikes, politics goes out the window and Americans rush to help other Americans in need. Hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, floods, it doesn't matter who or where, we show up in numbers. And BTW, religion is one big reason why.

When tragedy strikes, politics goes out the window and Americans rush to help other Americans in need. Hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, floods, it doesn't matter who or where, we show up in numbers. And BTW, religion is one big reason why.

What does religion have to do with it?

Helping your fellow man is a basic tenet of just about every religion, and was pretty much non-existent before religion came along. If you believe that altruism would be the same if religion did not exist that's fine by me, but I suspect you are in a distinct minority. And if you have to ask the question then you're not going to be satisfied with my answer or any other anyway.

Helping your fellow man is a basic tenet of just about every religion, and was pretty much non-existent before religion came along. If you believe that altruism would be the same if religion did not exist that's fine by me, but I suspect you are in a distinct minority. And if you have to ask the question then you're not going to be satisfied with my answer or any other anyway.
Probably better for a topic of another thread, but if I see someone in trouble, I'm going to help them. No religion necessary. If helping your fellow man is written into the many man-made religions, it's because it's a basic tenet of humanity. Not religion.

Probably better for a topic of another thread, but if I see someone in trouble, I'm going to help them. No religion necessary. If helping your fellow man is written into the many man-made religions, it's because it's a basic tenet of humanity. Not religion.

There's a related thread on this topic in the Religion forum if you want to discuss this further.

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you is a basic tenet of humanity

Man has always helped his fellow man. That is what made him the dominant species

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you is a basic tenet of humanity

Man has always helped his fellow man. That is what made him the dominant species

The golden rule has it's roots in religious teaching, it might not be as strong a motivator as it is without the power of religion behind it.

Texas has done well in the last week in minimizing the deaths from the hurricane and evacuating people to safety. Reminded me of Dunkirk in the use of private crafts to save people

Once the water recedes, the real work begins. Many homes will be uninhabitable. One in seven cars have been lost. Major infrastructure will have to be rebuilt.

Texas has been known for its weak zoning and building codes where "anything goes". It will make it that much harder to rebuild.

Houston is our fourth largest city. It will take a major endeavor to rebuild

It may be an aside to my OP, but I believe that those of Faith are more apt to do "the right thing" because they realise there is a Higher Power than them, a more powerful force in the universe that demands they help their fellow man, put others before themselves.

Is the strong following of Christ and God in Texas a contributing factor in their handling of this emergency? I would say this, it certainly doesn't hurt when people are deciding on whether to help or not.

Unique to Texas?

My gut response is to say no...it's uniquely Southern. :) It's what we do when our neighbor is in trouble.

But when looking back over past natural disasters nationwide, stories abound about citizen heroes. That makes me proud.

ps - now that bit about Texas being the greatest state in the union? hmmmm. ;)

Unique to Texas?

My gut response is to say no...it's uniquely Southern. :) It's what we do when our neighbor is in trouble.

But when looking back over past natural disasters nationwide, stories abound about citizen heroes. That makes me proud.

ps - now that bit about Texas being the greatest state in the union? hmmmm. ;)
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have never spent much time north of the Mason-Dixon Line. If you had, you would know that this is NOT, repeat NOT, unique to the south. I recall a major blizzard in my youth, let me tell you about it:
I don't remember the year, I was young, we were living in northern Minnesota at the time. The storm started on a Thursday (I think) with freezing rain, by the time it was over, on Sunday, there were several FEET of new snow on top of the roughly 1/4 inch of ice. The entire state was frozen in place. People couldn't get traction with 4-wheel drive trucks, so... they fired up the sleds (snowmobiles/snowcats). Why? Not to go have fun in the new powder, oh no. They were off to work for those in positions that could help (plow drivers, EMTs, Doctors, Nurses, etc.), for the rest, they were off to check on neighbors, especially the old. Make sure they had heat, food, water. People came together. I remember hearing stories, later in life, of people spending the week shoveling, snow blowing, and pulling cars out. Getting the area back up and running, all without the government. I recall one man I talked to saying he spent 16-18 hours a day, using his own tractor (no cab), and pick-up to plow, not just driveways, but the highways, streets, and even alleys so that emergency personnel, power crews, and the like could get to the people who needed help. Did he ask for anything in return? No. He only hoped others would do the same for him if he ever needed it.

I also recall hearing about crews of people, using their vacation, to go help in the aftermath of Katrina, 9/11, Sandy, the Yellowstone fire, and nearly every year, the fires in California. Uniquely southern? How ignorant and arrogant. (yeah, you touched a nerve)

So, no, it's not unique to the south, we just don't jump up and down and sing our own praises when we do it. We do it because that's what it takes. We do it because it's the right thing to do. We do it, year after year, because people's LIVES are at stake. We don't need anyone's "a** pats", or medals, or recognition at all, we'd rather not get it, we are humble people up here. We do it because our neighbors need our help. Just like the thousands of people, and companies, that are sacrificing so much, and risking their very lives, down in Houston. Not that it's uniquely Nothern either, it's uniquely HUMAN (or at least AMERICAN). From what I hear, the only thing stopping more people from going is that they can't get the fuel needed to get there.

Still don't believe me? Ask an Alaskan, or someone from the northern Rockies, or the upper north east if it's unique to the south.

...Still don't believe me? Ask an Alaskan, or someone from the northern Rockies, or the upper north east if it's unique to the south.

Of course I believe you, that's why I wrote, 'But when looking back over past natural disasters nationwide, stories abound about citizen heroes. That makes me proud.'

I am a 4th generation Floridian, true...raised an Army brat - and have lived in Indiana, Michigan and Colorado. It was said lightheartedly in response to a question, at ease 'soul-dier'. :)

btw - mr sg spent a 40 year career fighting those wildfires in Yellowstone, Texas, California, Alaska and parts in between...was part of the federal response to Katrina and later, the oil spill...so yea, I know some things.

...Still don't believe me? Ask an Alaskan, or someone from the northern Rockies, or the upper north east if it's unique to the south.

Of course I believe you, that's why I wrote, 'But when looking back over past natural disasters nationwide, stories abound about citizen heroes. That makes me proud.'

I am a 4th generation Floridian, true...raised an Army brat - and have lived in Indiana, Michigan and Colorado. It was said lightheartedly in response to a question, at ease 'soul-dier'. :)

btw - mr sg spent a 40 year career fighting those wildfires in Yellowstone, Texas, California, Alaska and parts in between...was part of the federal response to Katrina and later, the oil spill...so yea, I know some things.
So, what did you mean by this:
My gut response is to say no...it's uniquely Southern.
See, that is a divisive statement, especially since it cannot be backed up by fact. I take offense to it, not just because it's untrue, but because this is a great example of what is wrong with our society. The sooner we all acknowledge it, and work to correct it in ourselves, individually, the faster we can begin to heal.

See, that is a divisive statement, especially since it cannot be backed up by fact..
It wasn't offered as a fact - hence the refutation in the very next sentence. Context matters.

I take offense to it, not just because it's untrue, but because this is a great example of what is wrong with our society. The sooner we all acknowledge it, and work to correct it in ourselves, individually, the faster we can begin to heal.

I could take offense to being called 'ignorant' and 'arrogant'...but I don't.

In my opinion, your anger, invoking the use of pejoratives aimed at me personally, over words that were plainly said 'tongue in cheek' not directed toward anyone, let alone you...while ignoring the qualifier (context), is a perfect example of what is wrong with this country.

Well done.

Forum List

Back