Would anyone benefit from a moon base...

Exactly! I was only dealing with the primary technology. Harmonica doesn't seem to understand that most of the tech advances in medicine over the last 40 years are because of Apollo.
..they can advance technology MUCH MUCH faster at a lower cost by NOT including needs for space travel/etc
That is pure rubbish. You don't seem to understand that it is the environment and challenges of space impossible to duplicate on Earth that drives much of the discovery. Part of the reason why they have the ISS, because there are certain things which can only be done, tested, studied, developed in the weightlessness of space, not that this is all of it.

You can't duplicate space in a swimming pool nor even in a falling jet for a few seconds.
.....you don't understand--they have to spend a lot of the research for technology on space TRAVEL!! --not on the actual technology
..they can spend a lot more of the $$$$ on the actual things that would help humans if they didn't have to:
launch it
travel to the destination
land it
move it around for years
etc etc

Mankind could be just fine right now. Our problems are mainly from greedy politicians, and sociopaths seeking power.

Were it not for those people our problems would be minor.

So, we either stat stagnant, or we push ourselves to do more. We can be stuck twirling our fingers just getting by, or we make a long term goal that will break us out of the circle and allow us to truly advance.

Plus it will give us a legit meteor defense system that we desperately need.
....so we send 2.7 billion dollars to Mars--for what? to see if there was/is life?
??!!!!!?

Yes, like I said, the byproduct is a space defense system that prevents us from going the way of the dinosaurs.

Exactly! I was only dealing with the primary technology. Harmonica doesn't seem to understand that most of the tech advances in medicine over the last 40 years are because of Apollo.
..they can advance technology MUCH MUCH faster at a lower cost by NOT including needs for space travel/etc
That is pure rubbish. You don't seem to understand that it is the environment and challenges of space impossible to duplicate on Earth that drives much of the discovery. Part of the reason why they have the ISS, because there are certain things which can only be done, tested, studied, developed in the weightlessness of space, not that this is all of it.

You can't duplicate space in a swimming pool nor even in a falling jet for a few seconds.
.....you don't understand--they have to spend a lot of the research for technology on space TRAVEL!! --not on the actual technology
..they can spend a lot more of the $$$$ on the actual things that would help humans if they didn't have to:
launch it
land it
move it around for years
etc etc
No, YOU don't understand. I almost became an astronomer as my life's career. You are talking about cost, as if the cost of getting there takes away from the research. THERE IS NO RESEARCH, no technology, no development, unless they get there in the first place, whatever the cost!

In fact, even the technology they develop just getting there may ultimately save humanity.

The travel into space and getting there is much like the overhead of building a research facility: the building, the equipment, ther microscopes and like. On Earth we build a research facility, in space you merely need to GET to it. SPACE is the lab.

launch it
land it
move it around for years
etc etc

Mankind could be just fine right now. Our problems are mainly from greedy politicians, and sociopaths seeking power.

So, we either stat stagnant, or we push ourselves to do more. We can be stuck twirling our fingers just getting by, or we make a long term goal that will break us out of the circle and allow us to truly advance.

....so we send 2.7 billion dollars to Mars--for what? to see if there was/is life?
??!!!!!?
Dude, you JUST DON'T GET IT. You don't WANT to get it. You have an anti-space bias and just won't accept any argument. No matter what I tell you, you think it is a waste and want to spend the money at home not realizing that Space is an investment, whatever they find of life and Mars' past will give insights on life here on Earth and Earth itself in saving it, indeed, getting to Mars and learning to live there is the ultimate hope for the survival of humanity.

launch it
land it
move it around for years
etc etc

??!!!!!?
Dude, you JUST DON'T GET IT. You don't WANT to get it. You have an anti-space bias and just won't accept any argument. No matter what I tell you, you think it is a waste and want to spend the money at home not realizing that Space is an investment, whatever they find of life and Mars' past will give insights on life here on Earth and Earth itself in saving it, indeed, getting to Mars and learning to live there is the ultimate hope for the survival of humanity.
you just fked up!!! I don't have an anti-space bias...I am fascinated by it....in fact, I was researching it again all last week
..I have a bias against DUMBSHIT/nonsensical crap

launch it
land it
move it around for years
etc etc

??!!!!!?
.....finding life or ancestral life on Mars does not help the Earth/us at all !!!

launch it
land it
move it around for years
etc etc

??!!!!!?
.....finding life or ancestral life on Mars does not help the Earth/us at all !!!

Sure it does. The technology that is developed to get us there is what helps mankind.

Forum List

Back