Worst Pandemics In History

Is the handling of Covid-19:

• Not nearly enough!

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Just right.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Unbeliervable overkill. We are being played.

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  1. The Black Death: 75-200 million.
  2. AIDS Pandemic: 36 million.
  3. 1918 Flu Pandemic: 20-50 million.
  4. Plague of Justinian: 25 million.
  5. Antonine Plague: 5 million.
  6. Asian Flu: 2 million.
  7. 1968 Flu Pandemic: 1 million.
  8. 1890 Flu Pandemic: 1 million.
  9. Third Cholera Pandemic: 1 million.
  10. Sixth Cholera Pandemic: 800,000.
2020 Covid-19 "Pandemic": 13,000 worldwide. 340 in the USA. o_O

Number of deaths last winter from flu when there was no alarm, no panic, no pandemic? 80,000.

Typical year: 40,000.

CDC: 80,000 people died of flu last winter in the U.S. - STAT

Outbreak: 10 of the Worst Pandemics in History - MPH Online

Nuttin' like false comparisons. Hey I know, let's take historical events from decades or centuries ago, put them next to a current one that hasn't even peaked yet, and pretend we made a point! Why not, this place is full of gullibles.

Case in point, that 340 number you're playing with above? It's already 388. Half an hour later.

DUMBASS.
90 Americans a day die in their cars. Why not shutdown all roads?

:desk:

Because roads don't kill people, drivers kill people. What do I win? A car?
So sporting events kill people?

"Sporting events"? :wtf:

Is that because it's actually spreading faster or because we have more testing capability and are now able confirm more cases as has been speculated? Also, the number of confirmed cases is rising considerably higher than the number of those dying from it, which would support the theory it's not nearly as dangerous as the hype would merit.

I strongly suspect it's still testing catching up to existing cases. In other words the number creeps closer to an accurate count of infections. With the extreme measures everybody's taken I'd like to think we're containing current infections in their place as far as we know where they are.

The comparison between new confirmed cases and deaths is a non-starter. It takes longer to linger and die (and longer still to recover) than it does to identify an infection.

I personally don't think these 30 day business closures and shelter in place orders are going to do much of anything except to add economic devastation on top of the virus chaos, but I guess we'll see.
It has never been done before. No one can predict the actual short and long term damage this will do to
  • Revenue
  • Business
  • Consumer confidence
  • Small business closure
  • Loss of jobs
  • Personal savings
  • Market stability
  • General social fear and unrest

But the funny thing is: people are finding out that there is a whole lot of stuff they CAN do without. Who is to say how many ever return to their previous levels of consuming?

And yet --- your own OP purported to predict what the current situation wouldn't do. Based on entirely bogus comparisons.

I'm not doing the count. I'm simply reading it.

If somebody tests positive I'm pretty sure they're tracked for progress whether they have direct medical attention or not. They've got to be quarantined to prevent spreading obviously.

That's why our rate of mortality is around 70% right now --- there hasn't been enough TIME yet to allow for many recoveries.

I'm not certain they are even tracking the recoveries outside of those quarantined in a hospital. I know a guy in Austin who caught the virus while in Paris a couple of weeks ago. He started feeling sick after he got back to the states, so he went to the testing facility in Austin. They did the swab right at his car and told him to go home and wait for the results. They called two days later and said he was positive and he should self quarantine for 14 days in his home. On day 10 (two days ago) he called up and asked to be retested because all of his symptoms were gone. They told him they don't retest. He asked how he was supposed to know he was recovered and they said if he has no more symptoms over the next three days he's free to leave his house again.

Okay then. File this one under "I know a guy who...".

If somebody tests positive I'm pretty sure they're tracked for progress whether they have direct medical attention or not. They've got to be quarantined to prevent spreading obviously.

That's why our rate of mortality is around 70% right now --- there hasn't been enough TIME yet to allow for many recoveries.

I'm not certain they are even tracking the recoveries outside of those quarantined in a hospital. I know a guy in Austin who caught the virus while in Paris a couple of weeks ago. He started feeling sick after he got back to the states, so he went to the testing facility in Austin. They did the swab right at his car and told him to go home and wait for the results. They called two days later and said he was positive and he should self quarantine for 14 days in his home. On day 10 (two days ago) he called up and asked to be retested because all of his symptoms were gone. They told him they don't retest. He asked how he was supposed to know he was recovered and they said if he has no more symptoms over the next three days he's free to leave his house again.

You can listen to his story on Instagram if you want. He goes by the name Nomadic Matt. He's a well known travel blogger.

Matt Kepnes | Nomadic Matt (@nomadicmatt) • Instagram photos and videos

You can listen to his story on Instagram if you want. He goes by the name Nomadic Matt. He's a well known travel blogger.

Thanks, I don't do antisocial media shit. This is part of the reason why.

Thanks, I don't do antisocial media shit. This is part of the reason why.

Believe what ever you want to believe. I'm not arguing with you about it.

13,000 deaths worldwide ... 322,000 is the confirmed cases worldwide ...

The OP's stats for "last year" are actually from 2017-18 season ... two season ago ... this year has been moderate to mild with only 21,000 dead in the USA ...

I'm not sure why, but that reminds me of General Turgidson's comment in "Dr. Strangelove":

"I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops! Uh, depending on the breaks."

2020 Covid-19 "Pandemic": 13,000 worldwide. 390 in the USA. o_O

Number of deaths last winter from flu when there was no alarm, no panic, no pandemic? 80,000.

CNN just reported 7 out of 10 of these were Trump's fault.

Number of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths worldwide as of March 22, 2020: 13,069

World population: 7,638,232,710

So far, 0.00017109% of the world has died of COVID-19.

In other words, you stand a 1 in 585,000 chance of dying from Covid-19.

PUT ANOTHER WAY: YOU ARE 3.6X MORE LIKELY TO BE HIT BY A LIGHTNING BOLT THAN TO DIE FROM COVID-19.

Injury Facts Chart

NOW WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE????? :1peleas:
"In other words, you stand a 1 in 585,000 chance of dying from Covid-19."

What a dumbfucking moron you are. :cuckoo:

It may be 1 in 585,000 today. Tomorrow, the chances will be even greater and the chances are growing each and every day.

THE DOMINO EFFECT:

Now that more and more people have bought into the panic, the more who buy in, the easier it gets to join! And the harder it gets to stay out as the "lone exception."

END RESULT: There will be a swell panic of "actions" taken now to "save the public" because almost ANY closure or restriction now will seem appropriate and anyone speaking out questioning it will only subject themselves to scorn.

There will be a race now to see which states and cities can "look best" by taking the greatest most severe actions.

And in the end: the CURE will be far worse than the disease.

And we have now opened the floodgate: In the future now regardless of the outcome here, it will only be far easier and more likely for officials to "panic" and take Brobdingnagian preemptive measures in an effort to avoid public questioning of their policies and competency.

2020 Covid-19 "Pandemic": 13,000 worldwide. 340 in the USA. o_O

Nuttin' like false comparisons. Hey I know, let's take historical events from decades or centuries ago, put them next to a current one that hasn't even peaked yet, and pretend we made a point! Why not, this place is full of gullibles.

Case in point, that 340 number you're playing with above? It's already 388. Half an hour later.

DUMBASS.
90 Americans a day die in their cars. Why not shutdown all roads?

:desk:

Because roads don't kill people, drivers kill people. What do I win? A car?
So sporting events kill people?

"Sporting events"? :wtf:
Ah yes, you live in a bubbleworld. Most sporting events were cancelled last week.

Italy does not separate died from Covid-19, cold or flue.
Therefore there are so many dead.

Number of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths worldwide as of March 22, 2020: 13,069

PUT ANOTHER WAY: YOU ARE 3.6X MORE LIKELY TO BE HIT BY A LIGHTNING BOLT THAN TO DIE FROM COVID-19.

Injury Facts Chart

It may be 1 in 585,000 today. Tomorrow, the chances will be even greater and the chances are growing each and every day.
Science says no. This is 4 months old, there is no mass infection going on. Even if there was, it’s the flu. A bad flu, but it’s the flu.

Injury Facts Chart

Science says no. This is 4 months old, there is no mass infection going on. Even if there was, it’s the flu. A bad flu, but it’s the flu.

Since states and the fed are closing all these things costing much income and tax revenue, I hope all our elected officials realize that they will have to take a pay cut and tighten their belts and learn to deal with operating with much less money.

If this is a sickness that has a difference compared to the ones that have already happened, then that right there is why such a big deal is being made, but in my opinion, the way that it is being responded to is over kill. We can only do so much to make sure that it doesn't continue to be passed around and at the end of the day, how is getting this sickness any different from anything else bad that can happen to a person? To me, its just the latest thing to add to an already long list of things that are unfortunately out there to try and get in the way of a person's life.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

If this is a sickness that has a difference compared to the ones that have already happened, then that right there is why such a big deal is being made, but in my opinion, the way that it is being responded to is over kill. We can only do so much to make sure that it doesn't continue to be passed around and at the end of the day, how is getting this sickness any different from anything else bad that can happen to a person? To me, its just the latest thing to add to an already long list of things that are unfortunately out there to try and get in the way of a person's life.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

It's different because we have no immunity to it, we're basically helpless.

Be safe.

Injury Facts Chart

Dumbfuck, this is not the flu. And it's not been in the U.S. for 4 months. The first reported case was on January 20th. That's 2 months ago, not 4.

Even with simple facts like these, you manage to fuck it up.

face-palm-gif.278959

Yup, we’ve had much worse pandemics and life carried on. We shouldn’t be stopping all business. The effect of this is going to be the commercial real estate/mortgage collapse, mass layoffs, mass unemployment, mass uprise in crime/violence, mass collapse of home mortgages. We’re better off just carrying on as usual and dealing with a large amount of deaths, if it will even be that large. This is all just traumatizing for most generations because they’ve never seen it before, but history shows we can endure it. What we can’t do is just shut down all businesses and work. The Chinese are just laughing at us and will come out on top if we do.

Forum List

Back